Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 04-23-2015, 09:56 PM   #1
1958-ply

Default can you unchop a top?

I traded for this coupe and after I got it on the frame its a 6 inch chop. I can't even put a riser under the seat its mounted flat in the floor and I still don't have any head room. How hard would it be to reverse the chop?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 2015-02-08_14.15.42.jpg (62.3 KB, 132 views)
File Type: jpg 2013-11-24 11.02.18.jpg (66.0 KB, 119 views)
1958-ply is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2015, 10:06 PM   #2
Mike V. Florida

Send a message via AIM to Mike V. Florida
Default Re: can you unchop a top?

It depends on metal working and welding skill level. Not something an non professional would undertake and I would thing most pros would also stay away.

You might ask on the different rod sites and see it you can get the metal they cut off to chop theirs. At least then most of the work would be welding.
Old 04-23-2015, 10:14 PM   #3
CarlG

One of the guys in our club did that on a CCPU. It had been chopped, but never welded back together. He was able to acquire the cut out pieces and welded everything back in it's regular place. Real nice job.
Model A Restorers Club
Antique Automobile Club of America
Mullins Owner's Club
CarlG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2015, 10:14 PM   #4
GB SISSON

Or how 'bout looking for someone about to chop theirs and swap? Win/win in my book. Think of the countless hours it would save both of you!
Owner/Operator of 'Jailbar Ranch' on the side of Mt. Pickett. Current stable consists of 1946 1/2 ton pickup turned woodie wagon with FH V8, 1947 Tonner Pickup (red) mostly stock with exception of a cummins 6at turbo diesel, 1946 Tonner Pickup (green) with 226 cu in 6 cyl flathead, 1979 Toyota landcruiser wagon, completely encased in 1947 Ford Jailbar sheet metal. Ok, cornbinder rear fenders..... 'Rusty ol' floorboards, hot on their feet' (Alan Jackson)
GB SISSON is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2015, 11:30 PM   #5
Dodge

That would be my vote do a trade.
Dodge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2015, 11:42 PM   #6
Model A Man

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)
find a body that the lower half is rusted away or beyond repair but has a good top to swap to your lower half.
Model A Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2015, 12:53 AM   #7
burner31

swap
burner31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2015, 01:05 AM   #8
GB SISSON

I bet there's a guy in some small town with masking tape laying out the cuts he's gonna make this weekend once he has enough beer to get his courage up. We just need to find him!
Owner/Operator of 'Jailbar Ranch' on the side of Mt. Pickett. Current stable consists of 1946 1/2 ton pickup turned woodie wagon with FH V8, 1947 Tonner Pickup (red) mostly stock with exception of a cummins 6at turbo diesel, 1946 Tonner Pickup (green) with 226 cu in 6 cyl flathead, 1979 Toyota landcruiser wagon, completely encased in 1947 Ford Jailbar sheet metal. Ok, cornbinder rear fenders..... 'Rusty ol' floorboards, hot on their feet' (Alan Jackson)
GB SISSON is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2015, 01:07 AM   #9
vern hodgson

I did it to a 30 roadster in the 70's, car had been lowered. I picked up a subframe from a rodder and welded it back onto the body. Not a professional welder, no big deal, just be sure on your cuts, matching up to the body and your measurements. Used gas welder.
vern hodgson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2015, 04:55 AM   #10
James Rogers

Check with Flop at Flopcustoms. 412-867-1659 he is a wizard and posts here sometimes.
James Rogers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2015, 04:58 AM   #11
Not George

If you have to ask………………….
Not George is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2015, 06:37 AM   #12
Tom Wesenberg

My first choice would be #4 and my second choice would be #6.

I never could understand why someone would want less headroom in a Model A, or any car for that matter, but right out of high school I also made a foolish cut on a rare motorcycle. Two years later I realized what a mistake I'd made.
Tom Wesenberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2015, 07:02 AM   #13
Hoogah

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Wesenberg View Post
...I never could understand why someone would want less headroom in a Model A, or any car for that matter, but right out of high school I also made a foolish cut on a rare motorcycle. Two years later I realized what a mistake I'd made.
At least you didn't run out of headroom!
Hoogah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2015, 07:40 AM   #14
fiddlybits

I have un-chopped two cars and in both cases I was supplied with the metal that had been removed. Yes, it can be done. Yes, it can look good. No, it will never look original. I would not recommend it if you have any other avenue. Getting everything squared up and at the right dimension is a PITA.

And then there is the time consuming, brain numbing task of welding at a snails pace so that you do not warp the sheet metal. Even with a TIG I only weld about 3/16" -1/4" at a time.

And if your filler metal is not exactly the same as the original metal (it won't be)...and even if you do metal "conditioning" when you are done.... I have never seen a weld that doesn't become visible when the weather changes. (you may be the only one that notices it....but you will see it. In both cars I did, in the early morning temperatures, even though the owners couldn't see the line...I could.)

That said... it is a really cool feeling to put things back to original... but be prepared. This take A LOT of patience.

Last item... if you do not have the original metal and there is more than one gentle bend in the metal....run...do not walk away from the project.
fiddlybits is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2015, 08:06 AM   #15
Bill Underwood

Can be done but experience needed. Not for a first timer and not something you would want to pay another to do. Will take forever even with experience. Unless you have lots of "free" time, move on.
Likely better to seek another project and pass that one to someone who wants a sqooshed car.
Bill Underwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2015, 08:22 AM   #16
frank mcdaniels

I hope I don't sound like a smart ass, but how do you chop a roadster?Also I realize unchopping a roof would be an S.O.B. but guys weld in patch panels all the time and the welds dont show through the paint. I can't see flops welds most of the time even before paint. But I agree he should find someone to swap with. Frank
frank mcdaniels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2015, 08:40 AM   #17
zzlegend

Quote:
Originally Posted by frank mcdaniels View Post
I hope I don't sound like a smart ass, but how do you chop a roadster?Also I realize unchopping a roof would be an S.O.B. but guys weld in patch panels all the time and the welds dont show through the paint. I can't see flops welds most of the time even before paint. But I agree he should find someone to swap with. Frank
Maybe he meant it was channeled. That was a big thing in the day with a roadster. Still being done a lot today, but I just could not bring myself around to doing that on a decent roadster body. Just my 2 cents but I would look for a trade with that body.
zzlegend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2015, 10:13 AM   #18
BILL WILLIAMSON

A guy on our swap meet had his 5" chop pieces FOR SALE, for $75.
Bill W.
Old 04-24-2015, 10:26 AM   #19
hangarb7

Flop repaired my '30 Tudor and did an exceptional job. He took a 10" X 2" deep creased dent out of the rounded back rear corner of the roof, and never used any body filler. How do I know? Because the inside (I removed the interior and head liner) was almost as smooth as the outside. However, get a written estimate up front and get a written invoice if you ever want to get extra repairs paid by insurance. He is not a paperwork guy.

Still, if I had any body work to do, it would go to him. He is the best.
hangarb7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2015, 10:50 AM   #20
bart78

Look around and find one that is to far gone and use the roof. Or find some pieces from a chop. It will be real tough to fix it. Find something like this or trade.
bart78 is offline   Reply With Quote