Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 05-12-2020, 12:52 AM   #1
Lawrie

Default Corn head grease

I see by my John Deere grease guide that the corn head grease is good for low speed up to 1000 rpm.
They list a SD polyurea grease that flows into all areas of the bearing when working,and thickens when resting.
Has anyone used this in the U/Joint area.
It seems a better fit as the U/J sure does more than 1000 rpm
Lawrie
Lawrie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2020, 01:01 AM   #2
flatheadmurre

Default Re: Corn head grease

What´s the NLGI spec ?
Only SD i see from deere is NLGI 2 and that´s way to thick.
I use a grease even thinner speced then then the cornhead grease specially made for open gear drive.
flatheadmurre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2020, 01:04 AM   #3
Tinker

Corn head is semi liquid/fluid grease. I have a case of it. It takes very little heat to change it to a semi liquid state.

https://www.cenex.com/~/media/cenex/...pds-h9-02.ashx

Tinker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2020, 01:09 AM   #4
flatheadmurre

A grease that flows at working temp is just fine if contained in the bearing put to motion when it is started.
In the u-joint grease gets thrown out and sticks to the housing and is never put to work like when inside a moving bearing.
So if not able to flow back into the center fairly easy it will do you no good.
My favourite u-joint grease is NLGI 00/000 and if you seals is not real bad it will stay in there.
flatheadmurre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2020, 01:12 AM   #5
Tinker

Very little grease goes anywhere from the u-joint. Pack it. There is a zerk on the torque tube to grease the bearing. The diff is bathing in oil. Lawrie you are on a different level.

Certainly there are other very good oil/grease options as mentioned. I try to do a grease job every spring. I'm sure we all do.

Last edited by Tinker; 05-12-2020 at 01:32 AM.
Old 05-12-2020, 01:38 AM   #6
Lawrie

From the JD specs
NGL1 GC LB certified says its thrixotropic
stable at high operating temps.
Lawrie
Lawrie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2020, 01:49 AM   #7
Talkwrench

I just use this Lawrie, in the steering box too. Penrite semi fluid grease NLGI00
https://www.penriteoil.com.au/assets...D%20GREASE.pdf
Old 05-12-2020, 01:50 AM   #8
Tinker

I don't know. It works for me on average flatheads. Hope others add. It's good to learn.

Last edited by Tinker; 05-12-2020 at 01:59 AM.
Old 05-12-2020, 02:10 AM   #9
40 Deluxe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lawrie View Post
I see by my John Deere grease guide that the corn head grease is good for low speed up to 1000 rpm.
They list a SD polyurea grease that flows into all areas of the bearing when working,and thickens when resting.
Has anyone used this in the U/Joint area.
It seems a better fit as the U/J sure does more than 1000 rpm
Lawrie

John Deere makes (or did make, as of 4-5 years ago) two types of corn head grease. One for slow speed gearboxes like you mentioned, and another one for high speed gearboxes. So a guy maybe should have both-slow speed for the steering gear, and high speed for the U-joint cavity.
40 Deluxe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2020, 07:19 AM   #10
Bored&Stroked

I think I need some slow speed "corn head grease" for my brain at times . . . the high speed version would surely not work . . .
Bored&Stroked is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2020, 06:20 PM   #11
35ragtop

Quote:
Originally Posted by Talkwrench View Post
I just use this Lawrie, in the steering box too. Penrite semi fluid grease NLGI00
https://www.penriteoil.com.au/assets...D%20GREASE.pdf
Hi Rob,
how do you get that stuff into a clamshell? Via a grease gun or is it too fluid?
Dave
35ragtop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2020, 07:03 PM   #12
Talkwrench

Dave, The easiest way is just an old oil can and you can add a little hose extension on it , remove the grease nipple and pump away. Same for steering box. There is no need to go overboard with the uni / clam just a half a cup is plenty.
Old 05-12-2020, 10:31 PM   #13
Will D

Quote:
Dave, The easiest way is just an old oil can and you can add a little hose extension on it , remove the grease nipple and pump away. Same for steering box. There is no need to go overboard with the uni / clam just a half a cup is plenty.

Are you saying to do this ^^ instead of pumping grease into the clam shell grease nipple? Would this be advised for my '38?
Will D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2020, 12:43 AM   #14
35ragtop

Quote:
I tried packing the clamshell cavity with cornhead grease when I assembled my 38 pickup. I had to freeze the tube of cornhead grease overnight to get it to stay in. Kept falling out because our climate is too warm. When I drove the truck, a big wad of the ch grease worked its way out the back of the clamshell (new viton seal) because either I had too much in and or it got too thin. It has settled down now but I would not use it again in our climate.

I might try your idea on my new project, I was playing with that yesterday thinking that an extension from the grease nipple would be a good idea.
Dave
35ragtop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2020, 08:58 AM   #15
rotorwrench

Ford used sodium soap mixed with gear oil. Sodium soap is still available as drum brake wheel bearing grease. A person can use that and make a slurry of the stuff to put in there. It's not thixotropic but it was all they had in that era.

The John Deere stuff may not be available in all the far reaches from the USA so you use what you can source locally. The NLGI rating is #0 grade in all the specifications I have read for the JD corn head grease and there is only one type. A grease gun is used to get the stuff into the intended component. There are other thixotropic greases & brand names and not all are the same. The JD grease thickens as soon as motion stops. It turns to the consistancy of gear oil anytime it's in motion. It's rated for temps as high as 335 degrees F or 165 C.
https://www.google.com/search?source...4dUDCAk&uact=5

The stuff works OK in south Texas and it gets pretty hot here in August through early October.
rotorwrench is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2020, 10:43 AM   #16
40 Deluxe

If you can't find the cornhead grease, use CV joint grease. It's the same type of grease and does much the same thing (lubes a u-joint in an enclosed space).
40 Deluxe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2020, 08:38 PM   #17
Talkwrench

Quote:
Originally Posted by Will D View Post
Are you saying to do this ^^ instead of pumping grease into the clam shell grease nipple? Would this be advised for my '38?
Yes, use semi fluid grease in an oil can to do it.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg oil can.jpg (9.5 KB, 4 views)
Old 05-13-2020, 08:53 PM   #18
Talkwrench

Quote:
Originally Posted by 35ragtop View Post
I tried packing the clamshell cavity with cornhead grease when I assembled my 38 pickup. I had to freeze the tube of cornhead grease overnight to get it to stay in. Kept falling out because our climate is too warm. When I drove the truck, a big wad of the ch grease worked its way out the back of the clamshell (new viton seal) because either I had too much in and or it got too thin. It has settled down now but I would not use it again in our climate.

I might try your idea on my new project, I was playing with that yesterday thinking that an extension from the grease nipple would be a good idea.
Dave
Geez Dave how much did you put in? its not that big an area. I think people tend to go overboard. They are oiled from the trans too [its why you see oil leaking from the clam] If everything is as it should be heres a picture of what the uni should look like freshly removed.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg UNI.jpg (37.1 KB, 36 views)
Old 05-13-2020, 11:00 PM   #19
GB SISSON

I ordered my first tube yesterday when I saw this thread. It comes in a gun cartridge from what I saw. That's what is on amazon anyways..... I'm buying it for my two leaky steering boxes. So, should I install a zerk to replace the cap?
Owner/Operator of 'Jailbar Ranch' on the side of Mt. Pickett. Current stable consists of 1946 1/2 ton pickup turned woodie wagon with FH V8, 1947 Tonner Pickup (red) mostly stock with exception of a cummins 6at turbo diesel, 1946 Tonner Pickup (green) with 226 cu in 6 cyl flathead, 1979 Toyota landcruiser wagon, completely encased in 1947 Ford Jailbar sheet metal. Ok, cornbinder rear fenders..... 'Rusty ol' floorboards, hot on their feet' (Alan Jackson)
GB SISSON is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2020, 11:40 PM   #20
Tinker

Gb Some heat it slightly in a container out of the tube and then pour it in. Or just pump it from the gun right into the open box plug. No need to use a zerk.

I've used true 180w-250W animal oil fat (safe for yellow metals) used in large industrial air conditioning compressors. Bought a 5 gallon pail at a depo in florida. I'm done with it now as it's gone. Guess I could look again. A old model A & T thing for gear boxes. Probably overkill, but if available what it going to hurt. Read through it. and decide. ..https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/showt...4914&showall=1

Not related to you (i'm horrible at posting thoughts), but If other people worry about their old ford making a spot on your garage floor. You probably don't have an old ford. Flatheads baffle out the motor to the ground. There maybe a drop every once and a while. No big deal. As Bruce said it's just fords way of lubing the chassis.

Last edited by Tinker; 05-14-2020 at 01:15 AM.