Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 09-16-2010, 06:41 PM   #1
Gord. B by the bay

Default Lighten an A flywheel

What is the maximum weight that may be removed? Many Thanks Gord. B by the Bay
Gord. B by the bay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2010, 07:36 PM   #2
cannon

Default Re: Lighten an A flywheel

gord: go with a 49=53 ford: will have to do some mods on the starter, really lets the banger wind up. fly wheel and clutch aprox 35 lbs......
cannon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2010, 08:00 PM   #3
James Rogers

I have a 35# flywheel in my Cabriolet and love it. Made from a model A flywheel. I have seen them as light as 25#.
James Rogers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2010, 06:10 AM   #4
2manycars

The one in my tudor is 45 pounds.
2manycars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2010, 07:10 AM   #5
BRENT in 10-uh-C

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2manycars View Post
The one in my tudor is 45 pounds.
Quote:
Originally Posted by LeroyM View Post
I had mine lightened to 38 lbs. I have seen others say they use some as light as 9 to 12 lbs, but they're aluminum.

Guys, are we not reading what the man's question is?

Gord, you can safely remove about 42 pounds from an 'A' flywheel if you use the stock pressure plate, --and about 45 pounds if you convert to a V8 style pressure plate. THAT is about the maximum amount of weight that can safely be removed. The one below was in Pennie's race car for several years and has been 'spooled' many times over 3,000 RPM's.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_3790.jpg (75.0 KB, 83 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_3791.jpg (63.3 KB, 71 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_3792.jpg (68.9 KB, 83 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_3793.jpg (59.5 KB, 69 views)

BRENT in 10-uh-C
www.model-a-ford.com
...(...Finally Updated!! )

BRENT in 10-uh-C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2010, 11:37 PM   #6
BCCHOPIT

Quote:
Originally Posted by BRENT in 10-uh-C View Post

Gord, you can safely remove about 42 pounds from an 'A' flywheel if you use the stock pressure plate, --and about 45 pounds if you convert to a V8 style pressure plate. THAT is about the maximum amount of weight that can safely be removed. The one below was in Pennie's race car for several years and has been 'spooled' many times over 3,000 RPM's.

That looks cool.... but I like my legs a lot
BCCHOPIT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2010, 06:53 AM   #7
2manycars

Quote:

Your answer was not much better than ours. We posted what our flywheels are as an indication of what could be done, because it HAD been done. That, while not answering the question exactly, was useful information. Your answer said "about" in your figure, so it also is not an exact figure. Stop finding fault with people who are trying to help.
2manycars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2010, 07:46 AM   #8
BRENT in 10-uh-C

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2manycars View Post
Your answer was not much better than ours. We posted what our flywheels are as an indication of what could be done, because it HAD been done. That, while not answering the question exactly, was useful information. Your answer said "about" in your figure, so it also is not an exact figure. Stop finding fault with people who are trying to help.
I am not finding fault. The answer you gave was incorrect as it is not the maximum weight or even anywhere close to what Gord asked. Matter of fact, someone many hours before your post who has WAY more experience with Gord's question already gave a number that was less weight than yours, so it truly begs the question why you even made your comment. Why didn't you also post the color of your Model A, --or the type of tires you have because that would have had the same amount of relevance! How would it be helpful to his question??

AND, with regard to my comment using the word "about", ...is it possible you have no understanding of what is truly involved in machining a stock flywheel? Do you realize that many things factor in such as additional weight removed afterwards during balancing, --or composition of the metal itself affect the exact total weight? Is your Tudor's flywheel exactly 45 lbs, --or is it 44 lbs, 10 ozs, .........or some other number that is "almost" 45 pounds??

It is NOT my intent to be a forum police however I do intend to provide accurate and relevant answers to the question(s), --and just like I expect others to do to me, I will point out errors or misinformation when I see it. If that offends you or anyone else, well I make no appologies in that regard.

BRENT in 10-uh-C
www.model-a-ford.com

Last edited by BRENT in 10-uh-C; 09-19-2010 at 08:02 AM. Reason: spelling
Old 09-17-2010, 06:41 AM   #9
LeroyM

I had mine lightened to 38 lbs. I have seen others say they use some as light as 9 to 12 lbs, but they're aluminum.
LeroyM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2010, 08:14 AM   #10
Wick

Now Thats a coool Flywheel! I want one now.
Wick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2010, 10:31 AM   #11
callcoy

A 49-53 Ford V-8 flywheel weights about 29# stock. They may not be drilled for a 9" Long type clutch which you will want. Most were drilled for 10-11" clutches. The starter rework involes reversing the the old style bendix, milling a keyway near the output end of the starter, machining that end plate and using one of those bendix springs you bought at the swap meet that when you got it home it was backwards. Maybe the real trick is providing a "third" starter bushing in the bellhousing to support the shaft end. I have the infor to do this and have done it, so if you are thinking about this I could send it to you. If you decide to go with it you could call me(your nickle from the Maritines) and I will got over it with you.
Steve-Santa Rosa
Old 09-18-2010, 10:08 AM   #12
just plain bill

Quote:
Originally Posted by callcoy View Post
A 49-53 Ford V-8 flywheel weights about 29# stock. They may not be drilled for a 9" Long type clutch which you will want. Most were drilled for 10-11" clutches. The starter rework involes reversing the the old style bendix, milling a keyway near the output end of the starter, machining that end plate and using one of those bendix springs you bought at the swap meet that when you got it home it was backwards. Maybe the real trick is providing a "third" starter bushing in the bellhousing to support the shaft end. I have the infor to do this and have done it, so if you are thinking about this I could send it to you. If you decide to go with it you could call me(your nickle from the Maritines) and I will got over it with you.
Steve-Santa Rosa
The third bearing is not a "trick' it is a necessity, If you do not add the support bearing the shaft WILL bend. http://rides.webshots.com/album/558786345HiXnZi
just plain bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2010, 10:37 PM   #13
Ron in Quincy

I'm running one in my 30 Coupe; the A flywheel was cut to 35 lbs.; I use a V8 pressure plate as its 4 lbs lighter than an A pressure plate and a much softer unit.

Be sure to have both units balanced; flywheel 1st then bolt up pressure plate and rebalance as a complete unit.

Ron
Ron in Quincy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2010, 11:34 PM   #14
BCCHOPIT

I cut 26lbs off mine I would like to cut 2-4 more off before i have it balanced
Old 09-18-2010, 01:45 AM   #15
PC/SR

I got a 28 lb flywheel from Dan Price, and Dan swedged on the BB type counterweights and balanced everything. Net gain (loss) of weight was only about 17 lbs, but much much smoother at higher RPMS. Not much noticable change in acceleration or shifting but well worth it.
PC/SR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2010, 11:18 PM   #16
sonny30coupe

A little defensive there Brent, he can say what he likes, in 10 UHHHHHHHHH c
sonny30coupe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2010, 06:44 AM   #17
BRENT in 10-uh-C

Quote:
Originally Posted by sonny30coupe View Post
A little defensive there Brent, he can say what he likes, in 10 UHHHHHHHHH c
I don't what you are talking about.

BRENT in 10-uh-C
www.model-a-ford.com

Old 09-19-2010, 09:07 AM   #18
rotorwrench

I wouldn't recommend whittling anything off a flywheel to someone I didn't know. There is a liability to any recommendation where a spinning mass is involved. We all know it has been done but what is "SAFE" is anyones guess.

Be carefull guys. Also, it's not worth contention. Experimintation is up to the individual to decide.

Kerby
rotorwrench is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2010, 09:17 AM   #19
V4F

ok , back on the flywheel . i had 20#s taken off mine & v-8 clutch & balanced . works great for me ................ steve
Old 09-18-2010, 10:10 AM   #20
BCCHOPIT

Quote:
You are putting words into my mouth that I did not say because I never stated they couldn't explode! You are also comparing apples-to-oranges in my opinion. We are not speaking of SB Chevrolet engines, we're not turning 6000 rpms, ...and please explain the picture of the pump being driven off the back of the camshaft where the stock flywheel would normally reside. "Most likely" there is more to that story than what you are eluding to. Bottom line is if you do not feel comfortable with my flywheel or how I have used it, then kindly move on and your opinions reserved.

I dont know any thing about the pic. I was looking for one I saw about a year ago with a much lower hp engine but could not find. I dont mean to put words in your mouth and dont wont to start any think becouse I like reading your posts. you all ways have lots of info to share
Bill

Last edited by BCCHOPIT; 09-18-2010 at 11:30 PM.