Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 12-21-2016, 12:09 AM   #301
GB SISSON

Default Re: Truck based woody

Quote:
Originally Posted by Overkill-F1 View Post
GB,
Like flatford8, I like to see other workshops too. It is interesting what others do and have in the background.
In your post #298, in the third photo, under the rear of the truck, on the right hand side, there is a tool tote like the ones we used in cable splicing for the telephone co here.
Where you a telco cable splicer?
...Terry
No that's just a tool bag I found along the way. I do have some pretty good stacks going on down in that shop. As for stuff in the background, one of my favorite artifacts which is shown in a lot of my photos is my Aerothrust outboard motor. Manufactured in the '20s in Chicago, it converts any rowboat into an 'everglades' type airboat. The base below allows clamping to the boats transom and adjusts for tilt. It's a horizontaly opposed 2 stroke twin and it is extremely loud and uses a 10/1 oil mix so the exhaust is pungent. Haven't tried it on this canoe as it feels too top heavy. Aerothrust's literature shows a similar engine/blade setup with a different bracket for mounting behind the seat of a bicycle
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_3939.jpg (85.9 KB, 89 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_3940.jpg (88.3 KB, 103 views)
Owner/Operator of 'Jailbar Ranch' on the side of Mt. Pickett. Current stable consists of 1946 1/2 ton pickup turned woodie wagon with FH V8, 1947 Tonner Pickup (red) mostly stock with exception of a cummins 6at turbo diesel, 1946 Tonner Pickup (green) with 226 cu in 6 cyl flathead, 1979 Toyota landcruiser wagon, completely encased in 1947 Ford Jailbar sheet metal. Ok, cornbinder rear fenders..... 'Rusty ol' floorboards, hot on their feet' (Alan Jackson)
GB SISSON is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2016, 05:41 PM   #302
38bill

I probably would have used a reciprocating saw but it looks like the chain saw worked. I kind of figured something like this would pop up during your build but I was thinking it would be with the side doors. The rear should actually be easier to correct and I have complete faith in your abilities to get it done. Looking really great!
38bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2016, 12:02 AM   #303
GB SISSON

Quote:
Originally Posted by 38bill View Post
I probably would have used a reciprocating saw but it looks like the chain saw worked. I kind of figured something like this would pop up during your build but I was thinking it would be with the side doors. The rear should actually be easier to correct and I have complete faith in your abilities to get it done. Looking really great!
It was bound to happen. I have only really looked at a couple of woodies ever. All three were about 6 months into the build and in one location. By then it would have been too late for any big changes. I have made a couple of rough sketches. Most planning was done by bending sticks onto rough framework, so I sort of had it coming. Now that I have my regular tools back from the jobsite this change should go quite well. After the Holidays at this point. Thank you for the nice comments.
Owner/Operator of 'Jailbar Ranch' on the side of Mt. Pickett. Current stable consists of 1946 1/2 ton pickup turned woodie wagon with FH V8, 1947 Tonner Pickup (red) mostly stock with exception of a cummins 6at turbo diesel, 1946 Tonner Pickup (green) with 226 cu in 6 cyl flathead, 1979 Toyota landcruiser wagon, completely encased in 1947 Ford Jailbar sheet metal. Ok, cornbinder rear fenders..... 'Rusty ol' floorboards, hot on their feet' (Alan Jackson)
Old 12-26-2016, 11:50 PM   #304
GB SISSON

I was able to get some time in on the new recessed rear sill piece. From here I could make the doors go all the way to the bottom of the sill or keep them about like this scrap wood mock-up door and fill in the bottom with a visible 3" maple rail. Thinking the latter at this point.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg doorframe and dipstick 005.jpg (66.1 KB, 118 views)
Old 01-05-2017, 01:45 PM   #305
jerseyboy

GB,

Looks like you resolved that nicely. Any thoughts on providing kits or plans?

Keep V-8ing and 4-banging!
Hooked up on it now.
I tried to hook another
To see if I'd do a little good,
But ain't no place to put it
'Less I perforate the hood.

Wanted, lower side sections of 32 radiator cowl.
jerseyboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2017, 11:21 AM   #306
GB SISSON

Quote:
Originally Posted by jerseyboy View Post
GB,

Looks like you resolved that nicely. Any thoughts on providing kits or plans?

Keep V-8ing and 4-banging!

Not really any thoughts as a business. One of the reasons my progress has slowed is we have been working on an order for large doors from a Seattle architecture firm. These are based on the doors we built for a carraige house on Whidbey Island. The client was taken to this Whidbey project and had to have a set for here gigantic barn on another island. Of the eleven doors, 4 are 6'-2" wide by 10'-2" tall and 3" thick. The remainder are more normal sizes, but 7'-6" tall. They need to be delivered next Wednesday and that's a real stretch as we still have 2 unfinished cabinet projects partially installed. What I'm getting at is I would be hard pressed selling woodies or kits for what I can make building millwork for waterfront estates from reclaimed lumber.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Mutiny-Bay-Retreat_2000_h_gallery10.jpg (65.0 KB, 93 views)
Old 01-14-2017, 10:28 AM   #307
Bill

If your business is custom millwork for people with money concentrate on that. Let it fund your hobby. There's no money building custom woodie kits for jailbar Fords! Time is always the real thief for your passion. But you already know that don't you...Hang in there GB you'll git er done... Bill
Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2017, 01:59 PM   #308
GB SISSON

You got it right there Bill. The gal we are building these barn doors for wrote some books about vampires and werewolves that were in the old logging town of Forks Wa. She sold something like a hundred million copies and they made some movies based on her books. The jobsite is about 4 hours and two ferrys from here. Started at 4am today and it's Sunday. Six years of building recession made me a believer in making hay while the sun shines.
Old 01-22-2017, 12:21 PM   #309
51504bat

Quote:
Originally Posted by GB SISSON View Post
Either way that works best. I don't suppose we have to decide right away, so we can call it when it gets closer. Very kind of you to offer me that tank. Anyone have a pic in or out of the truck so I can see how it mounts? This could help for when I rout other wiring or exhaust etc if that comes first.
Les picked up the tank yesterday.
Old 01-24-2017, 08:53 AM   #310
GB SISSON

Quote:
Originally Posted by 51504bat View Post
Les picked up the tank yesterday.
Wow! Thanks ever so much you two. Still banging away at those big doors and trying my best to keep two other cabinet jobs afloat. It takes 4 guys to handle these doors and there's a lot of handling involved. We should have the '92 loaded up for a Thursday delivery over to the penninsula. Had a few warmer days lately and I have found the remainder of the door latches I'll need for the wagon. I also have the re-drilled flywheel, a clutch kit and everything necessary to finish up the engine. While the front clip is off, I will do the brakes and lines, etc, etc. Then on with all the good sheet metal and grill I have been keeping for this project. Yes, it will still be far from done, but maybe a couple laps down around the sawmill and the shops to keep it fun.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Meyer doors and woodie progress 2016 015.jpg (53.5 KB, 75 views)
File Type: jpg Meyer doors and woodie progress 2016 014.jpg (63.3 KB, 78 views)
File Type: jpg Meyer big door.jpg (51.8 KB, 79 views)
Old 01-24-2017, 10:07 AM   #311
Mart

For a moment then I thought they were going on the back of the woody.... Lol.

Silly me . Carry on.

Mart.
Mart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2017, 12:13 PM   #312
flatford8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mart View Post
For a moment then I thought they were going on the back of the woody.... Lol.

Silly me . Carry on.

Mart.
Ya..... me too... I was thinking for a second..... just how big is that friggin' truck.... Mark
Billy Joe Shaver
flatford8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2017, 01:33 AM   #313
GB SISSON

After all GM does call them 'barn doors' on the suburban.
Old 01-30-2017, 11:06 AM   #314
'36 5W

Ummm.......me three; does that make us Chevy perps in disguise??
'36 5W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2017, 09:11 PM   #315
GB SISSON

Quote:
Originally Posted by '36 5W View Post
Chevy? Had to put a rotor and cap on my suburban this afternoon. What is up with the location of the distributor? Designed by Satan himself?.....As far as a chevy perp, I think my wording was a bit vague. All this talk about barn doors at work and barn doors at fun. I wish I had spent the last month building 'barn doors' for the rear of my woodie, but alas, the business pays the bills. Not griping, just glad I can generate the work. Real soon, I'm gonna be posting more progress reports and photos of the wagon!
Old 01-31-2017, 03:10 AM   #316
Mart

Quote:
Originally Posted by '36 5W View Post
Er, No!

Wash your mouth out!
Mart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2017, 12:45 AM   #317
GB SISSON

I have picked up 3 of this type of outside door handle so far. I will alter the shaft to work with the landcruiser latches which are very ruggedly built and easy to find. Can someone tell me what ford these outer door handles are from? They are stainless clad and are certainly more stylish than the pot metal jailbar truck handles I had originally planned on using. Thanks.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 005.jpg (39.6 KB, 14 views)

Last edited by GB SISSON; 02-01-2017 at 08:39 AM.
Old 02-01-2017, 03:58 AM   #318
slowforty

Looks like a handle from a 1940 Ford
slowforty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2017, 11:17 PM   #319
GB SISSON

Today I finally got some time in on the wood wagon project. I think that when I had to cut out my rear sill piece because of poor planning I lost some momentum. Well there was the holidays and then tons of work in the shop, but today I ran out of excuses. I just was not happy how the side panel elevations could not be 'wrapped around' at the rear of the vehicle with the old sill in place. There are far more pieces involved in this new sill design, but I was able to incorporate a threshold piece that the 3/4" t&g fir flooring will butt into. This threshold piece is 1" x 4 1/4" and I opted to rout the 3/8" angle iron brackets into it flush and using a 3/8" stainless carriage bolts through the bracket, the maple, the 3/4 treated plywood subfloor and a full dimension 2x8. I need to get some oval head screws larger than #14s for the vertical holes or perhaps the top one should be a chrome or stainless blind nut fastener like we see on woodie bracketry. I know all these steel brackets will see some severe service on our bumpy island roads and my half mile of steep, rutted gravel 'road' up to my place.... I set my mockup door into the new opening and I like it now. With all the wood on hand for the rear barn doors and the fact I can build them in my wood heated cabinet shop, I hope to build upon this newfound momentum.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg cut out sill woodie 015.jpg (71.2 KB, 77 views)
File Type: jpg woodie rear sill repair 004.jpg (57.5 KB, 79 views)
File Type: jpg woodie rear sill repair 011.jpg (43.4 KB, 82 views)
File Type: jpg woodie rear sill repair 015.jpg (53.1 KB, 87 views)
Old 02-06-2017, 12:45 AM   #320
Mtn Wudy

I like that a Whole Lot Better.....shaping up....!!