Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 06-24-2019, 06:58 AM   #1
pinball73

Default Clutch on my 29

I am looking for information on adjusting the clutch fingers while it is in the car! where do you have the external clutch linkage adjusted too when you try to check the finger adjustment?
the only place I can see to check the clutch finger setting is between the thro out bearing face & the tip end of the clutch fingers! is this correct?
pinball73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2019, 08:26 AM   #2
ryanheacox

Default Re: Clutch on my 29

I just went through this myself. https://fordbarn.com/forum/showthread.php?t=263080

The way I did mine was to first disconnect the clutch pedal to let the throwout bearing move as far back as it could. Then I made a tool to gauge the depth of the pressure plate fingers. Yes, the finger depth is measured at the point where the bearing contacts the fingers. BUT, you measure it from the face of the pressure plate to that point on the finger. This measurement should be around 11/16", what is critical is that they are all the same.

Once you go around and adjust the fingers and verify that they are all close to +/-0.002" then you hook the pedal back up and set it so there is about 1/4" between the fingers and throwout bearing or 1" of play when you push the pedal down.
ryanheacox is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2019, 08:58 AM   #3
pinball73

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryanheacox View Post
I just went through this myself. https://fordbarn.com/forum/showthread.php?t=263080

The way I did mine was to first disconnect the clutch pedal to let the throwout bearing move as far back as it could. Then I made a tool to gauge the depth of the pressure plate fingers. Yes, the finger depth is measured at the point where the bearing contacts the fingers. BUT, you measure it from the face of the pressure plate to that point on the finger. This measurement should be around 11/16", what is critical is that they are all the same.

Once you go around and adjust the fingers and verify that they are all close to +/-0.002" then you hook the pedal back up and set it so there is about 1/4" between the fingers and throwout bearing or 1" of play when you push the pedal down.

you stated that you made a tool to gauge the distance! are you talking something like a peace of round dowel or something like that? & did you measure from the pressure plate to the bottom of the fingers or the surface that engages the thro out bearing?
Old 06-24-2019, 09:13 AM   #4
ryanheacox

I'll post a picture of the tool this evening. It's made from 3 pieces of 1/8x1 aluminum flat stock, some 5/16" washers and a couple random bolts that I had on hand.

Measure from the pressure plate cover to the part of the finger that contacts the throwout bearing and use a .002 feeler gauge to check the tolerance.
Old 06-24-2019, 09:17 AM   #5
ryanheacox

Here is a quick sketch of the tool I made, will post a picture tonight.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_7783.jpg (12.9 KB, 114 views)
Old 06-24-2019, 09:56 AM   #6
Patrick L.

There is info in search.

The last post I made;
Push the clutch pedal just enough to contact the first finger. The first finger the bearing touches should then be marked. Use a long .0015" feeler strip and adjust the remaining fingers to a tight drag on the feeler strip. Work the pedal fully a couple times and check/adjust again. Thats all there is to it. Its a bit tight in there, but, easier and faster than removing everything and setting it on the bench.
Patrick L. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2019, 11:10 AM   #7
Tom Endy

see attached article.

Tom Endy
Attached Files
File Type: pdf 10-clutch adj article.pdf (87.1 KB, 95 views)
Tom Endy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2019, 09:33 AM   #8
pinball73

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryanheacox View Post
Here is a quick sketch of the tool I made, will post a picture tonight.

the more I see on this the more confused I get! the sketch of the tool you made is used to adjust the fingers while every thing is still in the car right? if I am understanding it right you slide the thro out bearing back away from the fingers as far as possible to do this! then where do you place the tool! Tom Endy attached a page showing a tool he had made & it explained how to do this but I think that the transmission has to be removed if I am understanding it right & I am not wanting to do this
Old 06-25-2019, 11:15 AM   #9
ryanheacox

Yes, everything was still in the car when I did this. That horizontal piece in the sketch sits on the cover of the pressure plate. It can be as long as you like, it just has to fit through the inspection cover. Sorry I didn't get a picture last night. Feel free to send me a message to remind me, I have a Model A meeting tonight and will try to get a picture before I leave.

The way Patrick describes would be much easier but all of my fingers were so far off I couldn't use any as a baseline.