Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 06-26-2017, 04:28 PM   #1
Bud

Default oilpan: seal inside?

The engine rebuilder that rebuilt my B engine used a red paint on the inside of the oil pan & block. This is now coming off in spots. Apparently the red paint is some kind of electrical insulation spray paint.
I am curious if other rebuilders use a paint on the inside of the oil pan. I can understand it would protect the pan from acids created from the products of combustion.
Would a rattle can epoxy paint be a good choice here?
Bud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2017, 04:36 PM   #2
Chuck Sea/Tac

Default Re: oilpan: seal inside?

Its usually glycal paint, which is spendy, and imo a waste. So either he used the wrong kind of paint, or it wasn't properly prepped.
Chuck Sea/Tac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2017, 12:48 PM   #3
hardtimes

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bud View Post
The engine rebuilder that rebuilt my B engine used a red paint on the inside of the oil pan & block. This is now coming off in spots. Apparently the red paint is some kind of electrical insulation spray paint.
I am curious if other rebuilders use a paint on the inside of the oil pan. I can understand it would protect the pan from acids created from the products of combustion.
Would a rattle can epoxy paint be a good choice here?
Hey Bud,
GLYPTOL is an expensive reddish paint usually used to paint / SEAL the inside of block lower end. Some of expected benefits of its use this way are...sealing any very little holes/maybe cracks; prevent sludge from sticking on those painted walls and for allowing oil to return to pan more readily without using multi-grade oil. I've used it and used correctly (that is , on a CLEAN dry surface) it will stay in place and do its intended job, IMO opinion/experience.

Is it necessary, your call. Model A/B blocks were/are porous iron castings, some less porous than others. If you use multi grade oil...after block is cleaned at rebuild, I say its application isn't necessary. Some MAJOR builder that I know of, use it in every block that I've seen of theirs.

I've seen racer engine builders use this product to their needs. But, then that is more understandable, IMO, that warmed up engines you'd want the oil to return to pump quickly as possible. Your call.

This red paint, as far as I know, is a product of industrial development/use on electrical equipment and migrated over to other uses such as engine crank cases.

I would NOT attempt to use glyptol on a block that has not been thoroughly cleaned (as in tanked) nor would I use it on the oil pan.

Last edited by hardtimes; 06-27-2017 at 12:53 PM. Reason: .....................
hardtimes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2017, 08:23 AM   #4
Dave in MN

I used to use Glyptol in the crankcase and valve chamber until I received an engine back that had been run with a non-functioning water pump. (Key had sheared between the fan and the pump shaft) The excess heat caused the Glyptol to loosen from the cast iron; small areas were loose in the valve chamber surface common to the cylinder walls. I had hot tanked the blocks and blasted the castings...the block was clean. No more Glyptol used in my shop.
Special Sale: 6 rattle cans of Glyptol paint...Make an offer!
Good Day!
Dave in MN is offline   Reply With Quote