Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 08-08-2013, 03:30 PM   #21
leroux

Default Re: Engine Rebuilder on ebay

i looked into getting him to do a motor build for me. He seemed pretty straight shooter. a bit laggy in correspondence. My pops buddy in Paso Robles had him do a simple long block touring motor for him. He hasn't had one issue...minus the deer he hit.
leroux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2014, 05:06 PM   #22
P.S.

Down payment (50% of the total) was made 11/18/2014. Core motor parts delivered. One of my friends went to the shop to check on his own motor and asked about mine. No expected date of completion yet.

When I first spoke with Joe about buying a rebuilt "touring" motor from him, he was saying I'd be back on the road before Christmas.

I'm not in any big hurry due to winter weather and really not having time to swap the motor yet anyway, so no biggie. Just providing an update for you guys.
P.S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2014, 07:38 PM   #23
Ross/Kzoo

Well, he's got 11 months til Christmas.
Ross/Kzoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2014, 11:52 AM   #24
P.S.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ross/Kzoo View Post
Well, he's got 11 months til Christmas.
Ha ha! Yes, you're correct.
Old 01-20-2014, 08:13 PM   #25
P.S.

Received a phone call from Joe today (actually two calls).

Said the core crank I provided isn't usable, so I need to provide another. Also the block has a defect and gave me a choice of repairing the block or providing another block. I decided to provide another block core.

He is keeping me informed and is responsive again. He will be at the Turlock swap with a Model A motor running on a stand, but it won't be mine. There was a chance his stand motor was going to end up being mine (thus shortening my break-in procedure!).
Old 01-22-2014, 03:03 AM   #26
hardtimes

Quote:
Originally Posted by P.S. View Post
Received a phone call from Joe today (actually two calls).

Said the core crank I provided isn't usable, so I need to provide another. Also the block has a defect and gave me a choice of repairing the block or providing another block. I decided to provide another block core.

He is keeping me informed and is responsive again. He will be at the Turlock swap with a Model A motor running on a stand, but it won't be mine. There was a chance his stand motor was going to end up being mine (thus shortening my break-in procedure!).
Hey P.S.,
My Russian B was built in Turlock by the Reed bunch (father/son..now out of business). I have spoken/emailed Joe over a long period of time. Unknown, at first, was that Joe was the 'braintrust' behind the Reed operation. I was convinced that Joe was/is able to build ANY kind of A/B engine that you can pay for, so I was going to have him build a hot B...but alas the $ evaporated before that happened. Yes , he is in Turlock and perhaps anyone interested in how well Joe knows his trade , i.e.- building A/B engines...if going to Turlock swap meet soon, would make a visit to Joes' shop for look/see for yourself. I did same with the Reed shop and yeah they were slackers with too much to do and not enough time to do it. No other workers...just two of them. Don't know Joes' time table, but I wouldn't be in a hurry....AS LONG AS THE COMMUNICATION WAS EXECELLENT ! One hint, meant to be helpful, that Reed did at my request, was to take pictures of all parts purchased and installed and of machining. I have a beautiful picture documentary of the engine build. It has Terry Burtz seals and hasn't leaked a drop in thirteen years ! But, all the best parts were used new...including a new crank. Good luck with your builds Joe.
hardtimes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2014, 07:20 AM   #27
waxhead

Any updates??
waxhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2014, 01:43 PM   #28
jm29henry

have you thought about (B TERRY) he is a member and a well respected model a restorer .If PA. is not to far from you I think he would be a great choice !!!!!!
jm29henry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2014, 01:47 PM   #29
P.S.

I'm in California. Turlock Machine is about 1.5 hours' drive from my home. Brent Terry's place is several days of driving.

Besides, a bunch of people in my club are anxious to see what kind of work Joe does, and I ended up being the guinea pig.

Joe is a VERY nice man, and a pleasure with which to speak. The delays are apparently just a byproduct of quality work I am told.
Old 02-07-2014, 05:28 PM   #30
Terry,NJ

As far as I know, Brent Terry doesn't rebuild engines. I think he said one time, that he has James Rodgers (Another Ford Barn member) do them. I may be wrong about that, but that's what I think I know. The rebuilder that is from Pa is Ora Landis, of Schwalm's Babbited Bearings, in Strasburg, Pa
Terry

Quote:
Originally Posted by jm29henry View Post
have you thought about (B TERRY) he is a member and a well respected model a restorer .If PA. is not to far from you I think he would be a great choice !!!!!!
Terry,NJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2014, 09:06 PM   #31
Ron in Quincy

Joe Sivils, Turlock Machine, is listed on Plucks Web Site under "Engine Restoration" here on the Ford Barn.

I spent a half day with Joe at his shop just before the Turlock Swap. He is very knowledgeable about rebuilding A and B engines.

The most impressive statement he made " I guarantee my rebuilt engines for 2 years"

Where else can you get this kind of guarantee ?

Ron Rude
Quincy, CA
Ron in Quincy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2014, 07:56 AM   #32
BRENT in 10-uh-C

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron in Quincy View Post
Joe Sivils, Turlock Machine, is listed on Plucks Web Site under "Engine Restoration" here on the Ford Barn.

I spent a half day with Joe at his shop just before the Turlock Swap. He is very knowledgeable about rebuilding A and B engines.

The most impressive statement he made " I guarantee my rebuilt engines for 2 years"

Where else can you get this kind of guarantee ?

Ron Rude
Quincy, CA

Ummm. Ron. ....Me. I actually give a warranty longer than that one. . I think there are others that give two years or longer too, but your point is agreed that two years should give peace of mind to a customer.

BRENT in 10-uh-C
www.model-a-ford.com
...(...Finally Updated!! )

BRENT in 10-uh-C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2014, 07:40 AM   #33
waxhead

Quote:
Originally Posted by P.S. View Post
I'm in California. Turlock Machine is about 1.5 hours' drive from my home. Brent Terry's place is several days of driving.

Besides, a bunch of people in my club are anxious to see what kind of work Joe does, and I ended up being the guinea pig.

Joe is a VERY nice man, and a pleasure with which to speak. The delays are apparently just a byproduct of quality work I am told.
Is Joe building you a pressurised motor??
waxhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2014, 08:47 AM   #34
mrraford

Wow! some strings just won't die!
I ended up getting Bert's in Denver to build me an insert engine.
mrraford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2014, 10:10 AM   #35
P.S.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrraford View Post
Wow! some strings just won't die!....
That's because I have been giving updates to this thread. Do you think a separate thread would have been better?

Quote:
Originally Posted by waxhead View Post
Is Joe building you a pressurised motor??
He's building a touring motor for me.

Update: I spoke to Joe on the phone yesterday. Joe said he is indeed now working on my motor. Joe said it will be finished either the end of this week or beginning of next week. He also said he would take pictures. I will share when they are made available.
Old 02-11-2014, 10:48 AM   #36
Charlie Stephens

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrraford View Post
Wow! some strings just won't die!
I ended up getting Bert's in Denver to build me an insert engine.
I enjoy following the whole story in one place and appreciate the time he is taking to update it.

Charlie Stephens
Charlie Stephens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2014, 11:13 AM   #37
Duffy1

Enjoy following these kind of stories.
Duffy1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2014, 11:32 AM   #38
BlueSunoco

Me too. Appreciate the guys that follow through with updates. Date of the thread is not important to me, the information I glean from it IS
BlueSunoco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2014, 12:56 PM   #39
Tom Wesenberg

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueSunoco View Post
Me too. Appreciate the guys that follow through with updates. Date of the thread is not important to me, the information I glean from it IS
Ditto, it's not fun trying to find another thread to learn "the rest of the story", as Paul Harvey would say.
Tom Wesenberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2014, 03:00 PM   #40
P.S.

Another update:

I received a telephone call from Joe today, he really needs our prayers. A health issue has popped up and he is having difficulty. Please extend some good wishes his way.

Despite his health woes, he expects my Model A touring motor to be finished around the end of next week.