Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 10-13-2017, 01:40 PM   #1
mountinpie

Default Body work

So, I've gotten the sheet metal including the doors, cowl, hood, etc. fitting pretty well. In general, I believe the sheet metal is in pretty good shape. Part of the car has been painted black lacquer and part of it is in spotty primer and filler...this was done probably 20 years ago. As I pick up the body work again, I was hoping for some help with my plan of attack.

First, should I strip/sand off the lacquer paint on the exterior of the car down to the primer, trying to save the primer?
Should I leave the inside as-is, with the exception of the rust under the rear seat?
Next, I figure I'll get the sheet metal as close to perfect as I can on the entire car.
Treat the minor surface rust on the bare metal areas.
Primer or re-primer the entire car.
Add bondo, etc. and sand as needed.
Then primer/filler and block sand to get ready for paint.

Is that a reasonable plan or are there other steps I should be taking?

Thanks.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_6209.jpg (60.7 KB, 125 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_6213.jpg (65.3 KB, 124 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_6214.jpg (48.8 KB, 123 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_6215.jpg (36.5 KB, 136 views)
mountinpie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2017, 02:36 PM   #2
Dennis Pereira

Default Re: Body work

The problem the way I see it is if you don't take it to bare metal then you may have problems with another coating sticking.
Old 10-13-2017, 02:51 PM   #3
fordcragar

I have to agree with Dennis. Not knowing what is in the old materials could cause you problems later. I'm leery of new paint, because you don't know what will pop up later too.
fordcragar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2017, 03:37 PM   #4
flatford39

You can shoot enamel over lacquer but you can't shoot lacquer over enamel. It's preferred to go to bare metal but in your case I would just follow your plan.
flatford39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2017, 05:34 PM   #5
desotoguy

Are you going to paint it yourself, or do the work described, and have a body shop apply the finish coat. Striping old lacquer is a messy job.
desotoguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2017, 06:35 PM   #6
mountinpie

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)
My dad did the painting to this point and it's likely we'll finish it together.

Since things have changed so much since he last painted, I was hoping to get the groups thoughts on how to proceed.
Old 10-13-2017, 07:22 PM   #7
NCRebel

I was trained as a airframe/powertrain mech. on Army Huey's 1970's. The rule is strip to bare metal, clean with MEK (methyl, Ethyol, Ketone) then prime with zinc chromate for aluminum skin. Any paints after that (either lacquer, enamel or polymers) will build in layers that bond to the previous coat. Steel and bondo surfaces will take a enamel primer better before paint.

As stated before, enamel on lacquer is fine, lacquer over enamel or acrylic will bubble, curdle and destroy the lower layers.
NCRebel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2017, 08:41 PM   #8
J Franklin

If you and dad trust the work already done, I think you could just prep it by cleaning and doing any necessary body and prep work and not worry about bare metal. A fine sanding to promote adhesion on the lacquer might be all that's needed.
J Franklin is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2017, 05:39 AM   #9
aermotor

I am certainly no painting expert but in my experience in your second picture, the bare metal spots will show as high points in the final finish. I don't know how to correct this from happening.

John
aermotor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2017, 07:40 AM   #10
Terry, NJ

Get that old lacquer off. I'm not a body man (I don't like it and I just do what I have to) but I've always heard you can't paint over lacquer, except with more lacquer, Why fight it? Take it off. Pickle the steel with vinegar, neutralize with water, then phosphoric acid, then the Metal Fusion, then a coat of epoxy primer, sand a little. Then then sandable primer and Bondo. Get two colors, for a guide coat and block sand with finer and finer grits. Do it right! Or as close to "right" as possible. We have better methods and materials today.
Terry
Terry, NJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2017, 08:13 AM   #11
mountinpie

Thanks Terry. I think I'll at least take it down to the primer. Thoughts on paper/methods for removing the lacquer?

Also, can you elaborate on the two colors?

Brent
Old 10-14-2017, 10:13 AM   #12
Terry, NJ

Sorry, the best way to remove paint I've found, is with a large 7" grinder with a large wire wheel. Tears the old paint and body work (Yesterday's Bondo) off in a short time. The downside is that it flings little wire arrows off the brush. Don't ignore a product called "Metal Fusion" you put this on the bare metal. It's about $20 a quart and it's great for "Roughing out" badly distorted metal. The guy who showed me this is a restorer for the AACA. Then paint with Epoxy primer to seal the metal. I don't trust large, thick Bondo patches. Bondo goes on over the paint Thin coats only! This is analogous to repairing a hole in a wall with joint compound. As it dries, it cracks. Best to fix the holes with Plaster of Paris, then spackle. Plaster of Paris doesn't shrink. I'm not a body man or a painter, so this is what I've picked up from from guys who are. And there are always personal opinions about any products. Best of luck with it!
Terry

Quote:
Originally Posted by mountinpie View Post
Thanks Terry. I think I'll at least take it down to the primer. Thoughts on paper/methods for removing the lacquer?

Brent
Old 10-14-2017, 10:25 AM   #13
Terry, NJ

About the two colors. I bought all grey for mine but then I wanted a "Guide coat" to tell me how much I'm taking off. So I had the guy at the paint store whip me up a quart of darker grey to contrast with the previous coat. Thinking about it, It'll help my colors by being darker underneath (Black and Dark Green). The lighter colors tend to "shine through" and give a lighter Cast to what I wanted to be a dark color.
Terry
Old 10-14-2017, 10:39 AM   #14
Dennis Pereira

In photo #4 the finish is clearly failing from past experience the only safe way is to take down to bare metal and start over.
Old 10-14-2017, 11:31 AM   #15
J Franklin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dennis Pereira View Post
In photo #4 the finish is clearly failing from past experience the only safe way is to take down to bare metal and start over.
Agree, I thought that was a picture of the spare parts. That primer is most likely lacquer also.
J Franklin is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2017, 05:01 PM   #16
BRENT in 10-uh-C

Quote:
Originally Posted by mountinpie View Post

Brent
Actually that is an 'old skool' method but can be a bit troublesome for a small hobbyist that does not use that much product. Instead, do a search for 3M 5861 Guidecoat. We use it quite a bit and it is a dry rub that coats the surface yet sands away so you can see where you have sanded.

BRENT in 10-uh-C
www.model-a-ford.com
...(...Finally Updated!! )

BRENT in 10-uh-C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2017, 11:14 PM   #17
Hoovercw

I used an orbital sander and had my Tudor down to bare metal within about two hours. The crevices were sandblasted after that. I did have my hood and fenders off. I had them soda blasted. Soda blasting was a waste of money. I should have just done it myself with sander or chemical. Once you start filling and block sanding the primers you will look fondly back on the stripping process. It's one of the easiest parts.
Hoovercw is offline   Reply With Quote