Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 10-10-2017, 10:18 PM   #1
callcoy

Default Fires in Santa Rosa

The Santa Rosa fire has take its toll on members of our Sonoma A's Model A club. Unfortunately 5 members have lost their homes. Other car related friends of mine have lost homes and two more have had to evacuate including my Daughter and husband road course enthusiasts. This area is rich with car enthusiasts, many individuals I do not know personally have losses also.

Vehicle and home losses due to nature are common such as the recent disasters in the Gulf Coast, but this one really hits home.
Old 10-10-2017, 10:25 PM   #2
mhsprecher

Default Re: Fires in Santa Rosa

So sorry to hear about this, Steve. I saw some photos and they are hard to believe. All the best to everyone out there.
mhsprecher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2017, 10:30 PM   #3
J Wade

Thoughts and prayers for all effected.
J Wade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2017, 11:41 PM   #4
Synchro909

Unhappy Re: Fires in Santa Rosa

We in this corner of the world suffer serious fires regularly too. It is only a few years since we lost 173 people and 1.1 million acres burnt in a day. We understand the devastation fired like this wreak and the losses for families.
I for one have thought of those involved and will continue doing so.
Old 10-11-2017, 08:40 AM   #5
Brendan

i moved my cars to a friends house yesterday, i am ok right now. they evacuated some neighborhoods close to me. this is very bad in Santa Rosa, and snomoa county

i can't spell my way out of a paper bag!
Brendan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2017, 08:45 AM   #6
1930artdeco

Hope everyone stays safe up there. I received an email from our newsletter lady stating that one member had to flee her house just before it and her Model A that her dad built for her burned down.

Mike
Old 10-11-2017, 09:50 AM   #7
henry's 31

I am so sorry for anyone affected by this fire. I will keep all of them in my prayers and hope all stay safe. God Bless.
Old 10-11-2017, 12:11 PM   #8
J Franklin

The loss is a shame. I told my wife if we faced a wildfire we would each flee in an antique car and let the modern iron/plastic ones behind.
J Franklin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2017, 02:35 AM   #9
Dodge

Its crazy out here fires all around and still from 0-2% contained. It keeps spreading.
I have had several family members evacuate, my niece at 4:30 in the morning and
only one way out thru fires on both sides of the road and embers flying everywhere taking
nothing with them and everyone in their pajamas. Other cousins have evacuated and
no one knows whether the have a home left or not.
Several customers and friends have lost their homes.
We had a fire on the hill behind our shops that burned 1500 acres and stopped within
50 feet of one of the shops. Luckily there were sheep eating all the grass and there were
no trees to speak of so low fuel load.
It looks like a large control burn back there. That was Monday and all the roads were shut down so we couldn't get to our shops.
The last couple of days we have been going to friends and customers homes ahead of the fires and bringing cars down to the shop. So far we have gotten 20+ cars out.
A couple of them just ahead of the flames. This afternoon we got 4 cars and two motorcycles out of Calistoga.
The road was closed about 400 feet before the property we were going to and the fire was up on the ridge above us. The CHP gave us 20mins. to get in and out so we grabbed
all the pictures and personal things we could out of the house and the vehicles out of the
garage. We were out in 15mins.
I don't know what tomorrow brings. The fire is headed towards a friends place that has
over 100 cars on the back of his property. Guess we'll just have to pick and choose.
Crazy Crazy
Dodge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2017, 03:38 AM   #10
DougVieyra

The loss of home, cars and lives is truly a tragedy; A brutal and traumatic experience that devastates lives and families. And that is just the tip (the most important tip) of the 'ice berg'. Besides the vast loss of property in the Santa Rosa (Lake, Sonoma, Mendocino) region, is the disruption to a host of other things that make our lives comfortable - even for those of us outside the fire area. For example, two of the local hospitals have had their staff evacuated. And too, the on-going raging wild fires have burnt up and destroyed all the communication towers, relays, and other forms of infrastructure that support communication with the 'outside' world.
For example up here in Eureka, which is 200 miles away (North) from the Santa Rosa fires, we have lost all of our internet connection (cyber optic) and some phone communications that comes up from/through Santa Rosa. That means many banking functions and other financial mechanisms have also shut down. After three days, it is on now back on line, due to some temporary short-term emergency repairs. How long it will remain functioning is anyone's guess.
It is good to keep in mind that the fires destroy much, much more than just what one reads/hears from the news media.
DougVieyra is offline   Reply With Quote