Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 06-27-2017, 07:56 PM   #1
dpson

Unhappy Slipshod brake work

I just examined the front brakes of my 1931 roadster and at first glance they looked pretty good with new shoes, brake springs, etc. but upon closer examination it was a slipshod mess. The pin that holds the upper end of the shoe to the adjusting pin had come partially out on the rear shoe (drivers side). The pin was installed backwards and they never put in a cotter pin to hold it in place. No telling what would have happened if it had come completely out while being driven (as a minimum it would made a loud grinding sound when it hit the revolving brake drum). Also the lower actuating wedge, rollers, etc. and were a jammed together mess. It's not only sad to see such shoddy work, but down right dangerous. Who does this kind of work?
dpson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2017, 08:50 PM   #2
redmodelt

Default Re: Slipshod brake work

Someone that doesn't take time to read up on the subject or doesn't drive the car more then to ice cream and once a year in a parade, after all it's just an old Model A (or T for that matter). I see lots of T's and A's just like that. Spend a bizilion $ on body and interior but not much on the running gear, maybe just a clean and paint. Not to offend our older members, Maybe they just forgot the carter pin or were rusty on how things went back together. Who knows!
Old 06-27-2017, 11:14 PM   #3
H. L. Chauvin

Hi dpson,

Per your question, "Who does this kind of work?"

Appears today there are many modern, Model A owners who are very technically limited and even mechanically challenged just to learn how to successfully open the engine compartment hood on their Model A's ............ and on their modern cars.

Fifty years ago I remember far more highly technical rural car owners in our area performing ring jobs, valve jobs, etc. on their cars.

Gradually it became, "Take it to the Mechanic Shop".

Today, mostly all "Gone with the Wind", especially with computerized fuel systems and electronic systems.
H. L. Chauvin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2017, 07:22 AM   #4
WHN

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)
If you find or own a car that has had few owners you have a better chance to find/have more correct work having been done.

A 90 year car that has gone through many different owners, each one doing their thing, has a good chance of being a problem.

I like cars that have been loved by the same family for many, many, years. When it comes time to take a chance on buying something, the law of averages will be on your side. Know the background of a car. Going back 30, 40, or 50 years if you can. If not, adjust price accordingly.
WHN is offline   Reply With Quote