Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 02-24-2017, 08:47 PM   #21
brianpharmd

Default Re: Door or Window crank handle removal 160A, B, C late 68B & 68C & others

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Wesenberg View Post
Page 137 in the 2014 Bratton's catalog shows the door check parts. You slip on the rubber bumper, then the retaining cup, then the C clip. Then slide the cup over the C clip, and slide the rubber against the cup to keep it in place.
Tom,

I purchased the door check parts from Bert's and they arrived today. Any idea if there is any grease on the check pin or where the door check goes through the pilar?

Brian
brianpharmd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2017, 09:35 PM   #22
jw hash

Default Re: Door or Window crank handle removal 160A, B, C late 68B & 68C & others

the door checks go through the door post and through a rubber pad. do NOT grease them. most of the time the rubber pads get hard and need to replaced.
jw hash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2017, 09:55 PM   #23
brianpharmd

Quote:
Originally Posted by jw hash View Post
the door checks go through the door post and through a rubber pad. do NOT grease them. most of the time the rubber pads get hard and need to replaced.
Thanks JW. That was the information I needed. The passenger side did not have the runner pad on the pilar and the driver side was hard and brittle. I bought new pads from Bert's to install.

Thanks,

Brian
Old 02-24-2017, 10:44 PM   #24
Tom Wesenberg

For door latches you can buy a tube of door lube. It might be bees wax for all I know.

Like a tube of distributor cam lube, one tube will last a lifetime.
Tom Wesenberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2017, 11:18 PM   #25
brianpharmd

I had the 2 latch mechanisms rebuilt and they are ready to install. I was able to install the driver's side one with out any problems. However, I am running into a problem with the passenger side.

Can someone provide me the steps/trick to reinstall the locking passenger side handle back into the door/latch mechanism?
Old 03-03-2017, 02:04 AM   #26
duke36

make sure no burrs on the shaft, handle cylinder is unlocked, etc. Also, look thru the outside shaft hole to see that the square slot is clear. Are the handles repops? Perhaps others can add info. but hopefully the shafts should go in pretty much like the others.
duke36 is offline   Reply With Quote