Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 03-12-2021, 11:04 PM   #1
700rpm

Default It’s getting harder to drive my A

Wife and I took a picnic drive to the country today, about 40 miles RT. In my younger days this would have presented no adverse effects. Now, however, as I approach 76, those forty miles were seriously uncomfortable. We came home pooped! It gave credence to the old joke that the passengers in a Model A are the shock absorbers! I’ve got almost new Stipe shocks on the coupe, but Portland’s streets and byways are so neglected that driving them in a Model A is like riding in an out of balance washing machine. A Harley would be more comfortable!

I used to think nothing of a 120 mile tour, but now? Those days are over. This old age business ain’t for sissies! “Shake, rattle, and roll” doesn’t mean what it used to.

As you go through life, keep your eye on the donut, not the hole.
700rpm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2021, 12:33 AM   #2
Harpkatt

Default Re: It’s getting harder to drive my A

Ive get a well kept coupe and often drive an RPU. the pickup has seized shocks and the shock links are no longer connected. The RPU is amazingly comfortable ride wise, the tubs a little small for me though.
Harpkatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2021, 12:47 AM   #3
TerryH

Ray, I sympathize with you. I just turned 76, and have arthritis in my hips and lower back, and just getting in my Town Sedan is an effort, but I still take it out for short drives 3-4 times a week. But I haven’t driven on a longer trip in quite awhile now.
TerryH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2021, 12:59 AM   #4
Steve Plucker
BANNED

Ray,

I feel your pain except it is in my hands for now just holding on to the steering wheel.

But I really hate to say this...But there is going to come a time...Need I say more?

Pluck
Steve Plucker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2021, 05:29 AM   #5
ronn

well said Ray. I am only 60 and roofed 2 1/2 square of shingle on Thursday.

could hardly move yesterday. I used to put on 15 sq in a day. sucks.........
ronn is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2021, 08:00 AM   #6
old31

I must have Rays and Plucks DNA in me. Because I have and know exactly what you mean and what you are talking about.

At least we are still doing what we love, pain or not. In about 30 minutes I am going out to mount 4 new radial tires. Then I will come in and bitch to my wife how much my hands and back hurt. The following day, I will be back at it.
old31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2021, 08:07 AM   #7
Patrick L.

" This old age business ain’t for sissies! "

Boy, thats the truth.

At least with the top down its a lot easier to get in and out of today.
Patrick L. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2021, 08:13 AM   #8
Bob-A

I'm still able to drive my "A", but have a less and less desire to. The main road (Highway 50) here is being widened and is one big mess! Plus, the last half a dozen times I've taken the roadster out for a cruise around the neighborhood. It has quit on me for some obscure electrical problem or another. I have been able to limp home and I think I know what the problem is and maybe corrected it. But, with the crappy roads and lousy drivers I just do not have the desire to go out anymore. I'll be 70 next month and I have been toying with the idea of selling my last old car.

Bob-A
Bob-A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2021, 08:32 AM   #9
Gene F

Bob, I'm sure that will be heartbreaking. Our thoughts are with you.
GENE
Gene F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2021, 09:43 AM   #10
JBill

I'm just about to turn 80, and am reluctant to drive my A any more because I'm no longer confident that if something went wrong on the road I'd be able to repair it.
JBill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2021, 09:50 AM   #11
nhusa

At 76 I can still fit under the Model T without using Jack stands but can only squeeze under the A behind the front wheel.

I have warned my wife that if I don’t come in the house for lunch or 4PM wine I am most likely stuck under the car and need help. OR I might have gotten comfortable and be taking a nap.
nhusa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2021, 10:19 AM   #12
kawagumby

Well, I'm a late 73 and my passion is riding dirt bikes...I crashed my brains out a couple of weeks ago and can barely get around. Add to that some horrible prescription drugs (statin and blood thinner) that made my hands barely usable...my right thumb still can't bend even after I dropped the drugs four months ago. Modern medicine has been a joke to me - always seems to do more harm than good. My Model A has kept me busy throughout this covid mess, and will no doubt help replace dirt biking as a primary interest soon, I'm thinking about a hot rod too. Dirt biking was great because it forces one to stay in shape and will keep you limber, but man, hitting that dirt seems to be getting much more painful than it used to be. Just gotta keep moving...

I'm gonna miss these guys!

bikes.JPG
kawagumby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2021, 10:29 AM   #13
Bob Bidonde

Don't let the old man in!
Old 03-13-2021, 11:10 AM   #14
katy

Old age ain't what is used to be. Who said that!
Old 03-13-2021, 11:27 AM   #15
vangogh

Old age isn't for sissies but who said you can't feel it. My "Vicky" keeps me young at 75. Yet harder to drive it here on the island with all the traffic.
vangogh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2021, 11:46 AM   #16
Y-Blockhead

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob-A View Post
...with the crappy roads and lousy drivers I just do not have the desire to go out anymore. I'll be 70 next month and I have been toying with the idea of selling my last old car.

Bob-A
Besides being older, one thing that really wears me out on a longer ride is having to constantly be in the defensive driving mode. People running stops, speeding, cutting off, being inconsiderate of other drivers, etc.

People don't seem to even know what the limit line is. Scare the hell out of me when someone coasts right thru a stop sign , then stops. I can't tell if they are going to stop or not.

I used to ride motorcycles and quit because of the same reasons
Y-Blockhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2021, 12:24 PM   #17
JayJay

I can empathize with all of you. I'm not quite yet 70 yo (holding that milestone at bay as long as I can!) and have had touring motorcycles off and on for over 40 years. I love getting out and riding, but I'm at the point I'm about ready to sell my last remaining one (a big BMW). Reason - I think that a rider should be able to pick up his bike if it tips over onto the side, like when mounting onto the center stand. I can now just barely do it, when before it used to be a non-issue. Besides, I'm not sure my reactions are quite what they used to be, and certainly riding a road bike requires quick reactions, especially with all the cell-phone using morons here in the SF Bay Area. (And, my daughter won't let the grandkids ride with me.) I may have one last road trip ahead of me this summer when I retire, then goodby to that part of my life and concentrate on driving the As. With the grandkids.

JayJay

------------------------
1930 Murray Town Sedan
1931 Briggs S/W Town Sedan
JayJay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2021, 12:27 PM   #18
kawagumby

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Bidonde View Post
Don't let the old man in!

YES!

This is my new mantra.
Old 03-13-2021, 12:30 PM   #19
Mister Moose

I'm not that creaky yet, but I can tell you it's hard to drive for more than an hour in my Tudor. Something about the springs and positioning I just get achy/crampy from pressure or reduced blood flow or something. (6-2, original seat springs, seat set back 3 inches on custom mounts)
Mister Moose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2021, 12:34 PM   #20
Jim Brierley

Wait until you get my age, 83.9!
Jim Brierley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2021, 12:46 PM   #21
Chuck Sea/Tac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mister Moose View Post
I'm not that creaky yet, but I can tell you it's hard to drive for more than an hour in my Tudor. Something about the springs and positioning I just get achy/crampy from pressure or reduced blood flow or something. (6-2, original seat springs, seat set back 3 inches on custom mounts)
Swap those stock seats out for some Honda, ect small 21” wide buckets. It’s SOooo much more comfortable.
Chuck Sea/Tac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2021, 12:58 PM   #22
Mike Peters

Quote:
I feel your pain regarding Tudor seats. Ditto with our 28 Tudor. The bride and i are just finishing reupholstering a S/W fordor for some summer driving. We padded those bench seats to be a soft and comfy as possible. I'm 73 and the wife is 69, so comfort is becoming more important as we age.
And yes, my big Harley is becoming too much to hang on to any more.
Mike Peters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2021, 01:07 PM   #23
Anteek29

At 79 I have a really tough time getting on and off my creeper anymore. Once on I generally roll under the vehicle and take a nap prior to finishing the task at hand.
1955 Victoria
Anteek29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2021, 01:28 PM   #24
WHN

Last year got under our 29 and couldn’t get out. My wife was going to call the EMT’s.

After about 30 minutes, I was able to slide out. Never again.
WHN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2021, 01:41 PM   #25
kbinde2

I'm 4 1/2 weeks out from joint replacement (L/Hip), and still going to PT sessions. If she (PT) had seen me lug the battery up from the basement and put it in the coupe she wouldn't have been happy.. I did have my cane in the garage.!
First shake-out run for 2021, nice weather in DE and couldn't wait. Getting in and out was a bit of a challenge also.. more exercises and ice I suppose.!

Glad I got out and did it anyway..! As Bob said.. "Don't let the old man in"..!

kb
kbinde2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2021, 01:50 PM   #26
McMimmcs

Quote:
Originally Posted by 700rpm View Post
Wife and I took a picnic drive to the country today, about 40 miles RT. In my younger days this would have presented no adverse effects. Now, however, as I approach 76, those forty miles were seriously uncomfortable. We came home pooped! It gave credence to the old joke that the passengers in a Model A are the shock absorbers! I’ve got almost new Stipe shocks on the coupe, but Portland’s streets and byways are so neglected that driving them in a Model A is like riding in an out of balance washing machine. A Harley would be more comfortable!

I used to think nothing of a 120 mile tour, but now? Those days are over. This old age business ain’t for sissies! “Shake, rattle, and roll” doesn’t mean what it used to.
Hi Ray I know the feeling. After a bad fall I’m in a wheeled chair due to spine injuries. Basically I can’t walk. I have a large collection of fully restored antique cars, many very valuable. I also bought a rodeo arena to store my cars. I’ll be damned if I’m going to give up my pleasures in life. About 3 or 4 days a week I scramble into one of my cars and go for a short spin. Sometimes just in the arena. The secret is don’t give up! Wayne
McMimmcs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2021, 01:51 PM   #27
denis4x4

The neat thing about Model A hot rods is that you can put in any kind of seating. I had a built in lumbar support in the roadster and JEEP buckets in the CCPU. Same goes for shocks. Looking forward to the Speedster Reunion in June. At 80, I might bring down the average age of participants!
Old 03-13-2021, 03:09 PM   #28
Y-Blockhead

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Peters View Post
I feel your pain regarding Tudor seats. Ditto with our 28 Tudor. The bride and i are just finishing reupholstering a S/W fordor for some summer driving. We padded those bench seats to be a soft and comfy as possible. I'm 73 and the wife is 69, so comfort is becoming more important as we age.
One thing I can say about my Town Sedan, it does have overstuffed comfortable seats.

Old 03-13-2021, 03:25 PM   #29
Anteek29

Those seats look beautiful and PLUSH!
1955 Victoria
Anteek29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2021, 05:14 PM   #30
Synchro909

At a bit the top side of 72, I do not consider myself old but I'm getting there. I can relate to all of the comments about idiot drivers, rough roads and joints that don't move like they used to. All that said, my wife and I are setting off again in June for another trip north in our A Tourer and camper. We will be one of 5 cars (the oldest driver is 78) and we are looking forward to it greatly. We will do about 8-9,000 miles.
The most miles we have done in a day is a bit north of 600. These days, I would break a day like that and bush camp for the night. Age and smarts will always triumph over youth and skill, they say but I'd take youth any day.
Old 03-13-2021, 06:16 PM   #31
oldman

I'm at 75,but still able to do stuff. My son-in-law who has an aftermarket car business (Auto Sunroofs & Leather) is helping me re-do the interior in our Tudor. Took apart the door parts & glass today to rebuild & insulate the doors. Rear compartment & quarters cleaned & insulated. Got to get her done by the nice weather! Hopefully the grand kids will get to visit. Going to try to teach my oldest grand daughter how to start & drive her (she's 15), I want 'Tinker' to go somewhere I know when I'm done with her. Oldman
oldman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2021, 06:27 PM   #32
Robert/Texas

I'm 86 and still drive both of my A's and both T's. The hardest one drive and to get in and out of is my March, 1928 open cab pickup. the people who drove these pickups must have had really short legs.
Robert/Texas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2021, 06:38 PM   #33
WHN

Quote:
Originally Posted by Y-Blockhead View Post
One thing I can say about my Town Sedan, it does have overstuffed comfortable seats.

Really good looking. It looks like artwork.

Enjoy.
Old 03-13-2021, 07:42 PM   #34
Jeff/Illinois

Quote:
I'm still able to drive my "A", but have a less and less desire to. The main road (Highway 50) here is being widened and is one big mess! Plus, the last half a dozen times I've taken the roadster out for a cruise around the neighborhood. It has quit on me for some obscure electrical problem or another. I have been able to limp home and I think I know what the problem is and maybe corrected it. But, with the crappy roads and lousy drivers I just do not have the desire to go out anymore. I'll be 70 next month and I have been toying with the idea of selling my last old car.

Bob-A
Bob I met a guy last fall that had moved BACK to NW Illinois, who had been living near Tampa for almost 20 years. I said 'why' did you move back HERE? Have you forgotten what the winters are like?

He said 'no', it's just that Florida keeps getting more and more crowded as each year goes by and I was sick of it. People keep moving in. Two main highways running north and south and they are always crammed with traffic. And the summers are awful. From March to October!

Ray when we had the '29 Tudor, the biggest trip I ever took was over to Geneseo and back about 80 miles round trip. When I was 18 years old. And it about killed me, back then. No way I could do that today nor would I want to anymore. But I still have the love of the cars. I just limit my trips today to no more than 8 miles from home tops And yes a Roadster is a snap getting in and out with the top down.......
Jeff/Illinois is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2021, 07:54 PM   #35
700rpm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert/Texas View Post
I'm 86 and still drive both of my A's and both T's. The hardest one drive and to get in and out of is my March, 1928 open cab pickup. the people who drove these pickups must have had really short legs.
I’m 6’3” and weigh 185#, and to get in and out of my ‘28 rpu i had to practicallly get horizonal across the seat. I sold that truck, and 25 yr’s later I bought a ‘30 closed cab pickup. I had to do the same thing with that.

People were smaller 90 years ago.

Old 03-13-2021, 07:56 PM   #36
Russ B

I am doing pretty good for almost 75. This last couple weeks, I have been slowly tearing down an A motor that has been unused since 1964. And I spent much of one day moving around a pretty big batch of Model A parts I am giving away to help clean up my garage space. It has been 3 years since i took a 500 mile trip by myself on the cabriolet. I am slowing down a lot but plan to keep going for as long as I can.
Russ B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2021, 08:07 PM   #37
Gene F

Quote:
I’m 6’3” and weigh 185#, and to get in and out of my ‘28 rpu i had to practicallly get horizonal across the seat. I sold that truck, and 25 yr’s later I bought a ‘30 closed cab pickup. I had to do the same thing with that.

I think you are right. I have my great-grandfather's top hat, and it is sooooo small it looks like a 12 year old today might be a bale to wear it. (he was born in the early 1890s)
Old 03-13-2021, 08:08 PM   #38
Gene F

The tudor sets are not nearly as comfy as the fourdor seats.
Old 03-13-2021, 08:48 PM   #39
Bill G

Ray, a small group of us did a 120 mile deal today and it can be a killer. Both my wife and I complain about the seats in the 29 Tudor. They're horrible! I am just coming on 70 and I can tell you that I really noticed that both my wife and I have slowed down in the last few years. Damn!
Bill G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2021, 09:02 PM   #40
Y-Blockhead

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anteek29 View Post
Those seats look beautiful and PLUSH!
Quote:
Originally Posted by WHN View Post
Really good looking. It looks like artwork.

Enjoy.
Thanks guys. It really is pretty comfy. The front seat is moved back 3" for more leg room in the front (I'm 6'2"). Still plenty on room in the back.
Old 03-13-2021, 09:08 PM   #41
Darrell Kinnan

I'm 86, have arthritis in my back and shoulder, but with exercise I get relief. I'm looking forward to another yr driving around the lakes near us in northwest lower Michigan. No long trips however.
Darrell Kinnan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2021, 09:09 PM   #42
JayJay

Quote:
Thanks guys. It really is pretty comfy. The front seat is moved back 3" for more leg room in the front (I'm 6'2"). Still plenty on room in the back.
Y-B: was that an interior kit or did you have that custom?

JayJay

------------------------
1930 Murray Town Sedan
Old 03-13-2021, 09:10 PM   #43
Synchro909

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill G View Post
Ray, a small group of us did a 120 mile deal today and it can be a killer. Both my wife and I complain about the seats in the 29 Tudor. They're horrible! I am just coming on 70 and I can tell you that I really noticed that both my wife and I have slowed down in the last few years. Damn!
The front seats Henry put in Tudors are pretty terrible especially for the passenger but with a little creativity when covering them, they can be made acceptable. In my Tudor, I have replaced the originals with Morris Minor seats. We sit IN those, not ON them like the Ford ones. Seats from a small more modern car would also be an option but would not look right. I covered the Morris seats with the same fabric as the rest of the car and VERY few people notice.
Old 03-13-2021, 09:14 PM   #44
Mister Moose

Quote:
Originally Posted by Synchro909 View Post
In my Tudor, I have replaced the originals with Morris Minor seats. We sit IN those, not ON them like the Ford ones... I covered the Morris seats with the same fabric as the rest of the car and VERY few people notice.
Could you take a few photos and show us?
Mister Moose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2021, 09:42 PM   #45
Steve Plucker
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill G View Post
Gee Bill...It looked like you and everyone else was just full of spunk and pis and vinegar!

It was great to see some of you up here in Clyde today!

Pluck
Old 03-13-2021, 10:07 PM   #46
Bill G

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Plucker View Post
Gee Bill...It looked like you and everyone else was just full of spunk and pis and vinegar!

It was great to see some of you up here in Clyde today!

Pluck
We enjoyed stopping by and seeing you, Jeannie, Noah, and your progress on the 28 PU chassis! Great work on that red steering wheel refurb.

As to spunk and vinegar, I am sure that Model A seats were considered comfy back "in the day", but on the other hand a 70-year old would have either been in the grave or have had one foot in.
Bill G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2021, 11:27 PM   #47
Pete

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuck Sea/Tac View Post
Swap those stock seats out for some Honda, ect small 21” wide buckets. It’s SOooo much more comfortable.
80's Honda Prelude. Many colors including charcoal, 6 way mechanical adjustable.
The ONLY way to fly.
The 2 front mounts match the model A ones. Some fab required for the rear ones.
Pete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2021, 11:42 PM   #48
Pete

Sometimes my thumb hurts when I pick up a beer. Oh, moan, groan, what shall I do.
Well one thing I am going to do is sell my model A and concentrate on my race car. Keeping up 2 cars cuts into party time.

I feel for you young kids that have "hurts" but Tylenol and delegating back bending jobs will keep you going.
Pete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2021, 12:06 AM   #49
Y-Blockhead

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayJay View Post
Y-B: was that an interior kit or did you have that custom?

JayJay
LaBaron Bonney from sometime ago. With extra stuffing. It is holding up well.
Old 03-14-2021, 06:04 AM   #50
dr.j

Time is no friend. Pam and I were talking yesterday that sometime down the road one of the cars will have to go; the A or the Healey. I think the AH will be the first to go when the time comes.
1928 Tudor
dr.j is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2021, 10:40 AM   #51
Jeff/Illinois

My 88 year old father-in-law pulled the motor on his '30 Coupe this winter, in an unheated garage, by himself, and took it to a machine shop to have it prepped.

He has rebuilt it and is putting it back in the car. I asked if he needed a hand and said 'naw, thanks, but I'm fine I enjoy working on the car.'

You'd never know he was 88 years old. He is a retired pipe fitter, and was a Navy SeaBee. He is as tough as nails, and was also a champion boxer, middle weight, when he was in the US Navy. Still farms his farm, just keeps going. If he hurts you'd never know it because he never complains or says anything along that line. He is not on any medicine. Staying away from doctors is probably one reason he is so healthy.

His dad was the same way far into his 90's. One day that guy was outside working and decided to take a nap because he was tired. He laid down and never got back up. What a way to end life's ride
Old 03-14-2021, 10:45 AM   #52
Jeff/Illinois

Quote:

Ray you're just a little fella I've got 55 pounds and three inches on you.

And yes, a '28 Roadster PU, forget it! A good friend, WWII vet, died a number of years ago and he had one of those. The family asked me to drive it to the cemetery behind the hearse in honor of him. I was honored to do that and readily accepted.

MAN what a squeeze getting in that Model A. It was a nightmare, but somehow I did it. As much as I liked Bill's Roadster PU I learned that day 'I never want one of THESE things'!!!!
Old 03-14-2021, 10:57 AM   #53
700rpm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff/Illinois View Post
Ray you're just a little fella I've got 55 pounds and three inches on you.

And yes, a '28 Roadster PU, forget it! A good friend, WWII vet, died a number of years ago and he had one of those. The family asked me to drive it to the cemetery behind the hearse in honor of him. I was honored to do that and readily accepted.

MAN what a squeeze getting in that Model A. It was a nightmare, but somehow I did it. As much as I liked Bill's Roadster PU I learned that day 'I never want one of THESE things'!!!!
Jeff, operating the pedals and shifting must have been an exercise in contortion!

Old 03-14-2021, 11:26 AM   #54
Ed in Maine

This post is about me just yesterday. I am 78 and drove 75 miles with our club in my Victoria. I made a big mistake not getting radial tires, the car just weaves back in forth in the imperfections on the pavement in spite of a restored steering gear box. The traffic is heavier now and people are driving faster. They see a guy in white hair and the back of a Model A Ford and all they think about is "how fast can I get around this guy!" I try to drive 45-50 mph but you are always looking in the rear view mirror, looking left and right trying to anticipate a problem. Darn it, this is my hobby and I have loved Model As since the first one in 1964. I won't give it up until I can't drive any more. Even then I probably would not sell the car. I would just get some one to take me out once in a while. Ed
Ed in Maine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2021, 02:58 PM   #55
Jeff/Illinois

Quote:
Jeff, operating the pedals and shifting must have been an exercise in contortion!
True!! And coming to a stop I have to pop the Roadster into neutral to have room to mover my right leg to start out shifting again. It has become habit, I do it without really thinking about it. I also sit at a slight angle as much as I can.

I never had to do that in the '29 Tudor. Maybe because the seats weren't as firm as the Roadster you could roll around on them.
Old 03-14-2021, 03:07 PM   #56
Pdgx

Quote:
Originally Posted by katy View Post
Old age ain't what is used to be. Who said that!
I just thought it’d take longer.
Pdgx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2021, 03:38 PM   #57
old31

Jim, lets round it off and call you 84!

Kawa, I used to love riding dirt bikes. i was in my teens, 20's and 30's. I cant imagine riding in my 70's, no way.

We use to love riding in the winter, we would stud our tires and run the rivers, lakes and powerlines.

Last edited by old31; 03-14-2021 at 03:49 PM.
old31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2021, 06:46 PM   #58
Synchro909

Quote:
Could you take a few photos and show us?
I'll head out to the garage now - stay tuned.
Old 03-14-2021, 07:12 PM   #59
Synchro909

A couple of pictures of the seats in the Tudor and another couple of the (modified) seat in the '30 CCPU. I sit a bit lower in this seat so I'm not stooped all the time to drive.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg tudor seat 2.jpg (47.2 KB, 63 views)
File Type: jpg tudor seat.jpg (39.1 KB, 58 views)
File Type: jpg pick up seat 1.jpg (39.6 KB, 55 views)
File Type: jpg pick up seat.jpg (48.8 KB, 58 views)
File Type: jpg Pickup seat.jpg (45.1 KB, 48 views)
Old 03-14-2021, 08:00 PM   #60
Dougs 28

Our 28 tudor has bucket seats out of a Toyota that are really comfortable, along with the matching armrests that have power windows we installed both front and rear. Upgrade for sure! A little extra modern comfort.
Dougs 28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2021, 08:29 PM   #61
Dougs 28

https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/attac...1&d=1615771732
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 12C819B0-9DA7-4D84-BC82-B41F6F24746C.jpg (69.6 KB, 80 views)
Old 03-14-2021, 09:06 PM   #62
Dougs 28

https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/attac...1&d=1615773858
Attached Images
File Type: jpeg 0C727653-3446-4533-B4C4-42E7AF3F2320.jpeg (97.8 KB, 75 views)
Old 03-14-2021, 10:10 PM   #63
CarlG

Currently I have signed up for two tours our club has planned. The first one is about 200 miles one way, spend a couple of days in the area and then 200 miles back home.

The second one is 400 miles each way, 5 days of side trips. Will be well over 1,000 miles for the week.

I am just shy of 80, but not the oldest one in our club signed up for these tours. In addition to COVID shutting all our activities last year, I had both knees replaced. Things are quite tight in my CCPU, so I'm sure I'll have some challenges along the way. Whether I attempt any more this summer will depend on how I make out on these two.

It is already a great effort to change the oil and do a chassis lube, I just take it is small steps!
Model A Restorers Club
Antique Automobile Club of America
Mullins Owner's Club
CarlG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2021, 10:14 PM   #64
CarlG

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dougs 28 View Post
Electric windows?
Model A Restorers Club
Antique Automobile Club of America
Mullins Owner's Club
CarlG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2021, 10:55 PM   #65
Dougs 28

Yes, electric tinted windows......
Old 03-14-2021, 11:54 PM   #66
Steve Plucker
BANNED

It looks like to me that the older we get (I am almost 71) the more "purist" blood boils out of our body only to be replaced by whatever it is to make us more comfortable driving these babies!

Pluck
Old 03-15-2021, 06:47 AM   #67
Chris in WNC

25 years ago I had a Tudor with worn out seat springs, even 20 miles was uncomfortable.
Our modern car was a Volvo 244, I measured the front seat and found it was a good fit.
Got a seat from a junk yard Volvo and had a very simple bracket welded up to adapt it to the Tudor's seat posts.
It was extremely comfortable on long trips and I could swap back the Model A seat whenever I wanted to.
Old 03-15-2021, 10:19 AM   #68
WHN

Quote:
Would like to see the rest of the interior. Very interesting.

Enjoy.
Old 03-15-2021, 11:14 AM   #69
JayJay

Quote:
LaBaron Bonney from sometime ago. With extra stuffing. It is holding up well.
Thanks. Unfortunately LB is no longer. When I get to that point I'll have to see if Cartouche or Classtique will overstuff for me. Best.

JayJay

------------------------
1930 Murray Town Sedan
Old 03-15-2021, 03:40 PM   #70
Dougs 28

WHN, click on my Avatar then click on albums.

Thanks, Doug
Old 03-15-2021, 04:03 PM   #71
Chuck Dempsey

Doug, do you recall where you got the 'door check' gear? I bet it was salvaged, as I don't recall seeing it listed from a vendor..

Thanks
Chuck Dempsey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2021, 04:47 PM   #72
Dougs 28

Chuck, try http://www.snjparts.com/35-Model-A-Door-Check-Straps
Old 03-15-2021, 05:13 PM   #73
hudson32700

Dougs 28,
Do you have details on how the shoulder belts were attached to the door posts?
hudson32700 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2021, 05:31 PM   #74
Chuck Dempsey

Doug, I hate to hijack this post, but didn't your '28 originally come with leather 'check straps'? Is so, did you just purchase the 30-31 type door check gear and install it yourself?

Thanks!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg a-702828-or.jpg (46.8 KB, 10 views)
Chuck Dempsey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2021, 05:41 PM   #75
WHN

Quote:
WHN, click on my Avatar then click on albums.

Thanks, Doug
Very nice car. You have done a great job.

Bill
Old 03-15-2021, 06:17 PM   #76
Dougs 28

Bill-I would love to claim the restore as my own but it was my wife’s uncle who poured his heart, soul, and mind into it. It truly is a unique vehicle. I’m just trying to carry on his legacy and carry the torch to the next generation.
Thanks, Doug
Old 03-15-2021, 06:29 PM   #77
Dougs 28

Chuck, my guess is it came with leather check straps, when my wife’s uncle restored the car he could have used 30- 31 check gear or could have salvaged them from something else, I just don’t know....
Old 03-15-2021, 08:26 PM   #78
Ted Duke

First, let me acknowledge I know have good genes, and no MAJOR injuries have marred me. I am 84 and had my annual today. Worked six hours with my 15 year old granddaughter yesterday tearing down old fence. Yes, I was tired last night. RPN was again amazed at my vitals, which are actually improved. And I lost ten unneeded pounds this year.

I can lift as much, do more than I could when I retired from the USN at 43, BUT I do it MUCH SLOWER and smarter. I insisted on quitting some of the medicines my previous doctor had given me and LESS is better. PRN agreed.

I eat less, and better. Do what you can as long as you can. As several before me have said. Don't let the old man in. OBTW, we took down 20 fence posts today, but sweet GD did most of the hard work. Yes, I'm tired tonight. Move when you can. Force yourself to do a little more and old friend told me. It works!
Ted Duke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2021, 11:37 PM   #79
The darkest white

I just purchased my first she’s a 1928 open cab truck. My 5’1 human appreciates that it is small I have a hard time driving the close cab it’s a stretch to push the clutch.
The darkest white is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2021, 09:00 AM   #80
JBill

I'm 80 now, and just don't take my roadster out any more. I'm afraid that if something went wrong I wouldn't be able to handle it anymore. And where do you have an "A" towed to if something you can't repair does go wrong?
JBill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2021, 01:02 PM   #81
McMimmcs

[QUOTE=WHN;1995766]Last year got under our 29 and couldn’t get out. My wife was going to call the EMT’s.

After about 30 minutes, I was able to slide out. Never again.[/QUOTE[I

Not funny at the time but funny now !
McMimmcs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2021, 04:07 PM   #82
dansluck

Send a message via AIM to dansluck Send a message via Yahoo to dansluck

I was born in the 1940's. All of us could use zerk fitting on are joints and a little grease.
dansluck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2021, 04:28 PM   #83
Gene F

Quote:
Originally Posted by JBill View Post
I'm 80 now, and just don't take my roadster out any more. I'm afraid that if something went wrong I wouldn't be able to handle it anymore. And where do you have an "A" towed to if something you can't repair does go wrong?
Good point. We just got back from dropping my 1967 ElCamino off at the Chevy dealership. They said that they will have to manually enter the alignment specs into their machine to align the thing. I hope it gets done right because this is the last thing to complete the restoration.

But they were all curious enough that about 6 of them all flocked around it, and wanted to look it all over. To which I said "guys it's gonna spend at least 1 night here you all can look at it all you want after we get the job wrote up".

I'm always very nervous about hiring work done. Seems like the chances of it being done right the first time gets worse and worse. No one fixes anything anymore, they just change parts. I can hardly imagine dropping off a 93 year old Model-A.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg ElCamino.JPG (40.0 KB, 31 views)
Old 10-13-2021, 06:51 AM   #84
nkaminar

I have an 8 mm movie of my grandfather getting in and out of the Model A coupe I drove in high school. It was a struggle for him.

At this point I can relate. I see myself having the same struggle getting in and out of my Model A now. But I still can do it and I so much enjoy driving the car.
The clutch always sticks, and starts with a jerk.
My car grows red hair, and flies through the air.
Driving's a blast, a blast from the past.
nkaminar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2021, 08:49 AM   #85
Aretino

My ass gets sore after an hour or so, mostly the right cheek. A friend suggested sitting on a tennis ball to alleviate the soreness. I move the tennis ball around until I feel pressure on the sore spot. It seems to help. Sciatica nerve pain I reckon. The arthritis in my hands is another story.
Aretino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2021, 11:33 AM   #86
Russ/40

I'm 74 and unfortunately very late in experiencing a childhood dream to own an A. When I should have been running around in an A or Deuce, the parents said no can do. Did all the work restoring the RPU and having a ball driving it. Just a bit difficult getting in and out. I think I'm going to start stepping on the running boards, as its a hip killer stepping in over the board. So i'll lose some paint, and that fresh restoration look. It doesn't have to be perfect. I also have a '40 sedan thats pretty nice, but im thinking seriously about a closed A. Maybe one of you guys can trade a nice closed A for my '40. Great touring car, and easy to get in and out of.
Russ/40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2021, 05:05 PM   #87
Mulletwagon

At 72 I can still drive my 31 on a long trip like I was 20. It just takes alot longer to recover.
Mulletwagon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2021, 06:43 PM   #88
Gene F

We picked up the ElCamino this evening. Bad news - LOL
Old 10-15-2021, 03:59 AM   #89
SAJ

I am just coming to 77. I have worn out shoulders, a bent back and osteo arthritis. I can not easily get under a car or get up again without a lot of pain. So I have a 4 post drive-on hoist. But I can no longer reach up above my head when standing under the car due to the worn out shoulder joints.
However, I can fit in my 1930 roadster or my wife's Tudor very comfortably and drive for 2 hours before stopping for a stretch and refreshments.
Steering at parking speeds is hard but I take it slowly. Steering while on the move is OK. My reactions are still excellent and both cars stop well with standard brakes.
I have been blind in the right eye since a teenager, so backing up is difficult (right hand drive here), due both to lack of depth perception with only one eye, and limited head and neck rotation. But other club members immediately jump to my aid when parking at a destination, yelling "quick go and help that one-eyed bastard" to one another with a laugh.
I hope to continue driving my Model A's for at least other 15 years, as long as my reactions remain sharp.
For working on them, there always seem to be those willing to help, as I helped them up until I was 70 and became arthritic.
If my shoulders were replaced, it may give me a new lease of life, but I am getting on ok without the operations at present.
One key point was replacing the Tudor seat bottom springs with solid contoured foam rubber, stretching the original cloth upholstery over the reformed bases. They are very comfortable and supportive like this.
Ì have 4 other old English cars that I work on and drive too.
I notice that I have to keep moving to keep limber. Things seize up quickly without exercise,even though it can be painful.
SAJ in NZ
SAJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2021, 11:04 AM   #90
Jeff/Illinois

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gene F View Post
Good point. We just got back from dropping my 1967 ElCamino off at the Chevy dealership. They said that they will have to manually enter the alignment specs into their machine to align the thing. I hope it gets done right because this is the last thing to complete the restoration.

But they were all curious enough that about 6 of them all flocked around it, and wanted to look it all over. To which I said "guys it's gonna spend at least 1 night here you all can look at it all you want after we get the job wrote up".

I'm always very nervous about hiring work done. Seems like the chances of it being done right the first time gets worse and worse. No one fixes anything anymore, they just change parts. I can hardly imagine dropping off a 93 year old Model-A.
Gene, I'm a Ford guy thru and thru but THAT is a sharp car! Like it!! I love all the cars from that era the older I get (67)

We have an alignment shop near us that also does body work. I'd never dream of taking one of our Fords to the dealership for an alignment because this shop does super nice work, they are reasonable and very honest, and the tech that handles the front end work has been doing it since 1974 and is a good friend. Next time maybe I'd seek out a shop like that instead of the dealership, plus sounds like they aren't set up to do your El Camino anyway.
Old 10-15-2021, 11:05 AM   #91
Jeff/Illinois

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gene F View Post
We picked up the ElCamino this evening. Bad news - LOL
What did they do?? Curious here.
Old 10-15-2021, 06:48 PM   #92
Gene F

I called a shop that does nothing except springs, and alignments, suspensions... They wanted to guess at $240 if everything is ok. I was close to taking it to Tire Discounters, and now wondering if I should have ($120).

They were so proud to show me a printout their fancy machine spit out. Wrong specs were either in the system, or typed in. My 1967 Chevy ElCamino factory manual has different specs. There is one that is in spec, but it is at the limit, so technically it's correct. On a dead-level road it does track straight. However, the wheel is off at the top by about 3/4 to 7/8" I know what he did, he cleared his machine before he took it for a test drive. I specifically asked that the tech test drive it to check his work. They typed on the work order that "the steering box is worn, so the wheel may not always be straight, but it drives right". Bull he just didn't want to walk the sleeves over like 1/2 turn, and recheck. A manual steering box, with a rag-joint will never be as tight as a rack-n-pinion. It's a manual steering box rag-joint too. I drove the thing, and knew I was gonna take it in, and I never even thought the box was loose. Thought about adjusting the thrust on it, then decided heck he left something undone and wanted to move on. I'll pop the steering wheel off, and move it over a notch. Will take me less time than it will to even drive back over there. Owned it 15 years, I bet I have less than 2,000 miles on it. I think that steering shaft has a 32 spline on it. Ticks me off. $182

Last edited by Gene F; 10-15-2021 at 07:45 PM. Reason: add value
Old 10-15-2021, 07:57 PM   #93
kawagumby

I have a '41 ford hot rod I'm putting together as a project. I couldn't get a wheel-alignment from the pro's because they couldn't fit their wheel system on the wheels (not enough clearance with lowered profile).
So, I bought a fastrax wheel alignment tool and did it myself. I also used the "string method" to do the toe-in and centering the wheel (I do have a toe-in tool also but this car's suspension and steering is built from scratch, never before assembled, so I wanted to make sure the steering was centered first). The Fastrax tool was about $150. I did a little research on the settings and came up with the values that ended up working very well for the manual steering Mustang II type front end the hot rod has.

My point is, if you're up to it physically, it can be kinda fun doing it yourself and learning how the different settings affect how the car steers and travels. At 74, I move a lot slower than I used to, but the satisfaction is no less.

Tom
Old 10-15-2021, 08:42 PM   #94
TerryH

I’m 76 now, and the last few years had bad arthritis in my right hip…..very difficult getting in and out of my Town Sedan. Then last May I had hip replacement surgery and am now fully recovered. I can once again step over the running board and into the car with no problems. The new hip replacement procedures are very non-invasive, and heal quickly. Any of you thinking about I would encourage you to have it done…..no use waiting until you are older!
TerryH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2021, 10:42 PM   #95
Eccentric Old Guy

I'm 72. On my 28CCPU, I've found that getting out of the vehicle is a bit easier, if I slide toward the passenger seat about 6". Otherwise, it gets difficult to get my left leg around the door jamb. Getting in is no problem, and I use the running board to step on.
Eccentric Old Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2021, 11:38 AM   #96
katy

Gene F, I commiserate w/you about your experience at the alignment shop. I had a similar type situation in 1989 w/a Ford dealer on my 1960 Thunderbird.

Be resilient, overcome, adapt and carry on.
Old 10-16-2021, 12:43 PM   #97
Gene F

It's why I always try to do as much as I can myself. No one ever does anything right. It's always "ahh that's good enough".
Old 10-16-2021, 04:01 PM   #98
woofa.express

Coming of age.

In this thread I read how aging folk are finding more and more difficult to drive their A’s. Well yes, I too are finding it likewise. But what is even more difficult is the dried-up money stream that I miss now I am no longer working. Having to budget and to spend with care is a bit of a shock.
I have off-loaded my aeroplanes. My vintage G.M. motorcar is lent permanently to an enthusiast who will enjoy it and take care of it. My Tourer is going to my son, my lovely ’30 Coupe will go on blocks- I cannot bring myself to sell it and I will retain and use my ’28 Roadster Ute.
Besides the body ailments I suffer, it is the work I miss and the money stream that accompanies work.

And there are times when I have a long memory.

Last edited by woofa.express; 10-16-2021 at 05:05 PM.
woofa.express is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2021, 07:44 PM   #99
Rodrelic

Quote:

Bob-A
I know what you say, my brother always swore by going down the middle to the keys, the coasts are so crowded. (35 years ago) Last year I went to my father’s in Naples and came up the center and escaped to the coast to get to the panhandle, many miles of traffic lights and congestion. If I venture to events from home in center panhandle to zephyr hills & such will use trailer and 19 to get close. Yes drivers are not knowledgeable on such skills
as merging, roundabouts, big truck needs and allowances… piss poor education causes problems to those of us that know what we’re doing.
Rodrelic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2021, 08:19 PM   #100
Ayers1

And I went from MG Midgets and B's to Model A's for the same reason. Couldn't crawl out once I got in. Hopefully I'll have 20 years in my A's.....
Ayers1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2021, 10:39 AM   #101
burner31

When you think you are old...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 5qrqi6.jpg (94.3 KB, 40 views)
burner31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2021, 04:12 PM   #102
Kinsley

amen
Kinsley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2021, 07:31 PM   #103
holdover

At a month shy of 76 with 2 knee replacements pending and a complete shoulder replacement this summer, I look forward to driving my 4 As, Be laid up Dec-Feb with the first knee, but I should be able to work on them with the help of my 14 yr old grandson and my 4 post lift. Space is tight but I still rather drive them for local runs rather than one of my modern vehicles. I live in a rural area so there are many low traffic roads and driving on the Blue Ridge Parkway which I can get on from a side road 1/2 mile from my house is a joy, especially now with the change of colors. I would not want to drive cross country in one of them but 100 miles isn't that bad and when I get home it makes me appreciate a modern vehicle more. Y'all drive safely!
holdover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2021, 09:53 PM   #104
slatgrille

Doom and gloom Shatner....the world's coming to an end....and then he cries! He'd never own a Model A.....why it's an old gas guzzling internal combustion engine...

His trip into space put more pollution into the atmosphere than ANY Model A over its lifetime, but alas...he's part of the 'in crowd' so it's okay. Maybe he should date Greta Thunberg.

Sorry...I had to spout seeing his pic and hearing his climate crisis narrative.

I could go on and on about the 'Chicken Littles' of the world, but I won't....
slatgrille is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2021, 10:07 AM   #105
katy

Quote:
Originally Posted by holdover View Post
At a month shy of 76 with 2 knee replacements pending
Make sure you do your pre-operation(s) exercises. The people that don't do them have lots of post-op problems.
Old 10-18-2021, 10:20 AM   #106
holdover

10-4 on the pre op exercises, in fact according to the physical therapist I am exceeding expectations. Always been active, and can still ride a bike without too much problems, often 10-15 miles. I am a volunteer fireman for over 50 years with access to some wonderful exercise equipment, I do 350 50 lb leg pushes every 3 days working to 500. The therapist is looking forward to see what difference it makes for recovery on a 75 yr old, but no more than me!
holdover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2021, 07:04 PM   #107
kawagumby

Wink Re: It’s getting harder to drive my A

Quote:
Originally Posted by slatgrille View Post
His trip into space put more pollution into the atmosphere than ANY Model A over its lifetime, but alas...he's part of the 'in crowd' so it's okay.

I suspect a Klingon has infiltrated the forum...