Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 12-03-2020, 11:10 PM   #1
mgambuzza

Default Last Ride for 2020 - Questions

Here in Upstate New York - today was a phenomenal opportunity to get that "last ride". Sunny, 40s, dry roads - from here there's snow in the forecast, salt will be dropped, and the fun rides are done for the year. I will say as an owner of only a month and occasional with all the wet weather, I had a ball, and it was amazing the thumbs up, enthusiasm, and people who pulled out cameras to take a shot of someone who is driving a piece of history.

This was also an opportunity to test out some of the upgrades I've done, check their efficiency, and how they would hopefully hold during storage. I installed the dash light and was impressed with the volume of light on the dash - much more than I would have expected. I stopped at a fuel station, winced as I put enough gas to come up to the gas gauge opening (I just replaced the float, cork seals, and glass). Success so far. The speedometer was functional throughout the drive (although I noticed the odometer wasn't rolling over - probably going to have to address that - suggestions welcome). Then the lights (tail and brake)were fully operational after my repairs. The new battery was also fully functional through my stops at the post office, my office, gas station, grocery, and Tractor Supply. Made me very happy, and as I said every stop either engaged conversation, thumbs up, or a bevy of photos.

Tractor Supply was where I was able to score a fresh cardboard from a pallet of pellets. I wanted to use that to view the oil drips I've been seeing. I've included some pictures of what I saw. I do see seepage on the oil return, then there's bolts on the oil pan with visible drips, and finally I noticed the pan connecting the engine to the transmission where I didn't see a bolt at all. Welcoming any input from the experts.

By the way - after trashing a couple shirts, I thought I may want to get a better way to "move" under this car. I found a great vintage creeper which I'm including a picture. When I bought it, the seller asked if I was using it for display, and he was shocked I was going to use it. I explained the car I was using it for, the clearance which is ideal for this vehicle, and he was even more excited that it was going to a great home.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_3273.jpg (22.0 KB, 124 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_3277.jpg (51.0 KB, 121 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_3272.jpg (68.4 KB, 125 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_3278.jpg (30.2 KB, 133 views)
mgambuzza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2020, 07:49 AM   #2
WHN

Default Re: Last Ride for 2020 - Questions

We lived in Homer for 25 years. Put our Model A in the barn every November until April.

Great area to drive these cars.

Enjoy the snow and “Go Orange”.
WHN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2020, 08:20 AM   #3
Chuck Dempsey

Papa Nick is the one to see about speedometer rebuilds. He is located up your way, in Gouverneur, NY. Check out this thread - https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/showthread.php?t=286246 He charged me $160 for my oval rebuild.

Enjoy your 'A', and stay safe.......
Chuck Dempsey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2020, 09:05 AM   #4
ronn

you can buy a good working used speedo for about 50. but I personally wouldnt even bother with the odometer. The speedo for me is more important. plenty of time over the winter to look at yours and maybe fix. not really much to an odo.

maybe Ill see you this spring along Woodchuck hill rd.................
ronn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2020, 08:24 AM   #5
marty in Ohio

mgambuzza,
I read your original post and was interested to see your antique garage creeper. I have one exactly like it. My sister bought it for me brand new as a Christmas present. That was more than 50 years ago and I've been using it ever since. I didn't realize it was an antique nor did I realize how old I am.
Marty
marty in Ohio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2020, 09:03 AM   #6
mgambuzza

Quote:
Originally Posted by marty in Ohio View Post
mgambuzza,
I read your original post and was interested to see your antique garage creeper. I have one exactly like it. My sister bought it for me brand new as a Christmas present. That was more than 50 years ago and I've been using it ever since. I didn't realize it was an antique nor did I realize how old I am.
Marty

I think it is missing the Red Head girl head decal. I did a search after the purchase and I did see some of these had the additional decal on the board. Like I said I was tired of trashing shirts sliding myself on the floor to look under, and with the newer creepers having all the "bells and whistles" I wanted to go old school like when I was growing up and Craftsman, Montgomery Ward, Jeepers and others sold the low profile creepers. This is the perfect size, even when the vehicle is not jacked up.
Old 12-05-2020, 09:06 AM   #7
mgambuzza

Quote:
Originally Posted by WHN View Post
We lived in Homer for 25 years. Put our Model A in the barn every November until April.

Great area to drive these cars.

Enjoy the snow and “Go Orange”.
Exactly what I was thinking - especially the Route 5/20 roads - Skaneateles -Auburn-Seneca Falls-Wateroo-Geneva-Canandaigua. The perfect small town gateway to drive this car. The same would probably apply to Route 11 north and south from here.
Old 12-05-2020, 09:20 AM   #8
Badpuppy

Quote:
Originally Posted by marty in Ohio View Post
mgambuzza,
Marty
Me too, more like 40 years ago for Christmas. Dunno where my wife got it. Couldn't use it without a jack until she brought home an A to fit it.
Badpuppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2020, 09:48 AM   #9
Redbird

Looks like time for a few new gaskets.Do not overtighten the pan. That is what bends it all up. When you remove it, stick a straight edge on it.
Redbird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2020, 09:57 AM   #10
jm29henry

Buzza some of the oil you are seeing could be coming from the oil return tube gasket an easy inexpensive repair and that might be what you are seeing on your pan gasket ? It might be worth a look �� if any of the real mechanics could look please let us know if you see what I think I see .thanks good luck , and enjoy your new car
jm29henry is offline   Reply With Quote