Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 03-16-2015, 01:22 AM   #1
Vics Stuff

Default value of 1933 Ford 4 door sedan

Hey Guys ! Found a 1933 Ford 4 door sedan stock all steel body and fenders with no damage or rust through. The car is on a stock frame missing the engine , transmission and interior. Streight fenders , grill and has all garnish mouldings on a rolling chassis.
Just curious what something in this condition is worth. I do not know how to post pics on this site but real tempting to buy for a future project.
Any help is apreciated
Vic
Vics Stuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2015, 06:51 AM   #2
Jim in Wisconsin

Default Re: value of 1933 Ford 4 door sedan

I don't know what a dollar number would be, but a good set of fenders and grill are almost impossible to find. Get it if you can!
Jim in Wisconsin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2015, 08:32 AM   #3
Vics Stuff

Hey Jim in Wisconsin ! I thought that $12,000.00 for the car was a good price but not sure.
Vic
Old 03-16-2015, 08:43 AM   #4
TJ

When you say "missing the interior' is it missing the seats or just the upholstery? Does it have the stock wheels, steering box, and original suspension/brakes, etc? Is the original tack strip (very hard item to find ) in the roof? Does it have the original gauges in the dash? A little more info would help place the value.
TJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2015, 08:45 AM   #5
Ol' Ron

What ever you can afford.
Ol' Ron is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2015, 10:51 AM   #6
Vics Stuff

TJ ! The interior is completely missing except garnish mouldings just a metal shell. Does have complete rolling chassis and wheels.
Vic
Old 03-16-2015, 11:09 AM   #7
whizzernick

I would love to buy this car for around 10,000. It's my favorite year and I have all the parts interior and engine transmission to finish car. Now I just wish I had the 10,000 and the location of the car. Good luck to you
whizzernick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2015, 11:35 AM   #8
Vics Stuff

Thank you whizzernick . As I had spoken to the owner this morning , the seats are there but does have aftermarket gauges. The owner has had this car for over 20 years and had hopes of putting this old girl back on the road but he is up in age and would like someone elce to have this car and finish it.
I hope that it is me ????
Vic
Old 03-16-2015, 02:44 PM   #9
B-O-B

Location location location would be a big factor in the price. I'm assuming it is local so transportation my not be a problem or costly. How is the glass,is the frame straight & not rusty? try to look at what it is going to take to get this jewel on the road. Brakes,gas tank & lines,wiring,exhaust,tires,roof insert,radiator & a zillion things that I have not mentioned. Make yourself a list of what you think it will take & add that to what the owner is asking then figure what you are willing to spend time & money wise. That will be what it is worth. Aim high & shoot low. Good luck & hope you get it. If & when you should to decide to buy it show up with cash in hand & workout a good deal for the both of you. Take a friend that is not as interested as you as they will more than likely have a keen eye for hidden problems,things you might overlook in your quest to have a 34 ford.
B-O-B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2015, 02:56 PM   #10
TJ

If has the correct paper work I would place the value around $7500. If has aftermarket gauges I suspect the dash has been modified. If you want it stock you will have to find an original dash and gauges. B-O-B gives good advice about taking someone with you to look at the car. A second opinion from a neutral party may reveal things (good or bad) you did not see.
TJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2015, 03:38 PM   #11
rockfla

Then to expand on what B O B said, take all of your totaled math and look to see what one FINISHED in the manner in which you want is being advertised for and see which number adds up the best for you. OPINIONS.....right!!!....My opinion IF YOUR GOING FOR STOCK CORRECT. the $7500 price posted earlier in this tread would be about a right price for ME. In my OPINION, In todays market, the car is worth more parted out than the way it sits. We have one, 4 Door with a 4 cyl., complete and by the time you spend the money to correct body issues, straighten fenders, buy paint, Interior, rebuilt the motor, transmission, brakes, wiring harness and get things chrome plated, that's more money than what Ive seen some restored/older restored cars being advertised for. And in the end the reality of it is MOST people don't want a 4 door. Roadster's, coupes, cabriolets, phaetons & woodie's of course are tops on the MAJORITY of 33/34 collectors. BE SURE YOU LOOK AT THE ROCKER PANELS.....Good luck with what you decide.
rockfla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2015, 03:41 PM   #12
rockfla

And JUST to chrome a straight original (but pitted bar) grill is $3000 to $4000 alone!!!
Old 03-16-2015, 04:08 PM   #13
B-O-B

Google is your friend. This is on E-bay just to see what the market is like. 1934 ford sedan:
Current bid:
US $10,801.00 Reserve not met

[ 25 bids ]
B-O-B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2015, 04:59 PM   #14
bobH

When I bought mine, 8 or 9 yrs ago, I gave a little over 8. I got an unknown engine & trans that turned out to be good. I got an excellent, no rust, 4-dr body, complete with hood, grille, bumpers, all excellent fenders and runningboards. No interior, however complete front seatframe and all springs were there. No top insert. I've been over every inch of it to make it roadworthy and reliable. At that point, I was 16 into it.
I still have NO interior, and haven't touched bodywork or paint.
It's done, as far as I'm concerned. Or, at least done for the current iteration. Interior, bodywork, & paint are another project for another day.
Examples of some costs along the way... tires, wheels, 1K. Glass, felt runners, rubber, 1K. Rear end, complete rebuild, over 1 K. Couple missing garnish mldgs, 500+
My point... I started on the plus side of 8, and got to 16 real quick, and some folks would say I still need paint & interior.
JMO

(Off-subject... I'm looking for my next project. If you know of a rust-free 4dr or 2dr, a PM would be welcome.)
(It's a disease, thank goodness no cure)

Last edited by bobH; 03-16-2015 at 11:28 PM.
bobH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2015, 05:32 PM   #15
Jim in Wisconsin

I've alwas felt that if you look at buying an old car project as a business decision, it will never make sense. It's a hobby, it's not a business - at least not for most of us.
If it's a car you like, and you feel up to the project, and can afford it, do it. As far as trying to estimate what the total cost will be, who knows - that 's going to be quite a while in the future anyway. How much you enjoy working on it and finally getting to drive it is more important.
If you get it, make sure you get all the little pieces that are off the car. Even old rusty looking stuff is hard to replace! 33's are more rare than 34's (and nicer looking in my estimation). Like someone said, a 4 door isn't the most sought after model - but they can look real nice too.
Jim in Wisconsin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2015, 06:39 PM   #16
Ol' Ron

It's the journey, not the destination.
Ol' Ron is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2015, 06:40 PM   #17
Vics Stuff

Hey Jim in Wisconsin ! You hit the nail right on the head. I am currently working on a 32 3 window coupe and have valued out my labor as a hobby like most have suggested . I just like the looks of these old cars and have come accross this one. It has great sheetmetal and all original parts. The grill is mint but will need rechroming . I do have a real nice 34 dash that I could use , this cars dash is missing but the owner has new classic instrument gauges . Really do not need another project but think it would make a great family cruiser.
Vic
Old 03-16-2015, 11:20 PM   #18
Vics Stuff

You are correct Ol" Ron. With many of my projects I never have thought that I would make any money on them when done. Always enjoy meeting great people and chasing leads.
Vic
Old 03-17-2015, 07:22 AM   #19
rockfla

Jim in Wisconsin, you are correct and anyone who treats this as a hobby and not a business is correct UNTIL "YOU" go to sell it, THEN its all about business for you!!!! And who ever posted that they have $16,000 in their $ door sedan would most likely get insulted when I offer $15,000 to buy his car. Funny how that works!!!

Bottom line here IS, the growing Interest in This hobby- the V8 hobby is that it is being taken over by Hot Rodder's , quasi rat rodder's and customizers. Most hot rodders and customizers don't what a 4 door sedan. That's why there are more 32, 33 and 34's now than Ford made. Guys like me who like them ORIGiNAL (at my age) are dinosaurs. There can only be SO many 33 4 door sedans on display at the Early Ford V8 museum, then, what's left.......35 other 33 4 door sedans that are ALL nicely done cars, Who's owners think there worth $35,000 to $50,000 dollars or more..... And NO ONE who wants them....but maybe me at MAYBE $20,000 to $30,000 at best and I bet all would be insulted at that offer.