Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 12-22-2018, 06:48 PM   #1
daveymc29

Default 100 Car find

https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_c...&v=hRMAQj0yA44
daveymc29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2018, 09:54 PM   #2
Licensed to kill

Default Re: 100 Car find

Something for everyone. Thanks for sharing.
Licensed to kill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2018, 09:44 AM   #3
old31

Wow, that is some car collection.

Thanks.
old31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2018, 10:23 AM   #4
frank mcdaniels

Quite a collection indeed. They talk about how the cars were bought cheap in the day but I think it still would of taken a substantional amount of money to acquire those cars and that many even back when they got them. It just kills me when I see people do this. Obviously they don't need any money stating nothing was for sale but we all know the worst thing for an old car is to neglect it If they really cared about them they would find someway to care fo them. I wonder how many have gummy rotten gas in the tank and sludge in the oil pan or rust in the cylinders. Oh well there their cars. Merry Christmas Frank
frank mcdaniels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2018, 10:42 AM   #5
Licensed to kill

Quote:
Originally Posted by frank mcdaniels View Post
It just kills me when I see people do this. Obviously they don't need any money stating nothing was for sale but we all know the worst thing for an old car is to neglect it If they really cared about them they would find someway to care fo them. I wonder how many have gummy rotten gas in the tank and sludge in the oil pan or rust in the cylinders.
Other than the dust on them, is it REALLY much different than a car museum regarding gummy rotten gas, sludge in the pan or rust in the cylinders?. OK, perhaps the rust in the cylinders if these cars are in a climate with significant temperature swings and significant humidity (condensation) but cars don't like to sit. At least, unlike a museum, these cars will some day come up for sale when the owner passes. Another thing to consider. Even with the possible issues you mentioned by letting them sit, I bet less than half of them would even exist today if they hadn't ended up where they did.
Licensed to kill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2018, 10:50 AM   #6
ahshoe

How in the heck do you keep the rodents...raccoons,mice and whatever out of them. with those non airtight buildings?
ahshoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2018, 11:21 AM   #7
30 Closed Cab PU

Quote:
Originally Posted by Licensed to kill View Post
Other than the dust on them, is it REALLY much different than a car museum regarding gummy rotten gas, sludge in the pan or rust in the cylinders?. OK, perhaps the rust in the cylinders if these cars are in a climate with significant temperature swings and significant humidity (condensation) but cars don't like to sit. At least, unlike a museum, these cars will some day come up for sale when the owner passes. Another thing to consider. Even with the possible issues you mentioned by letting them sit, I bet less than half of them would even exist today if they hadn't ended up where they did.

x2

At least they still exist. Saved from; the crusher, or rusted into a heap, etc. Most look complete, money spent to restore, but easily done since all is there. If he had taken the time/energy/money to do things perfectly he would not have been able to save as many for future restoration by others.
30 Closed Cab PU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2018, 01:43 PM   #8
daveymc29

I have owned a lot of those same type cars over the years, probably 100 or so. Now I bet less than half of the ones I owned are still around anywhere. Perhaps a half dozen Austin Healeys and a couple of Lincoln Continentals, maybe a couple of Triumphs, but the Cadillacs, Fords, Chevrolets and Oldsmobiles are probably cruising by as Toyotas and Nissans now. A 35 fordor convertible I owned went away for the want of a battery and was parted out for the Zephyr gears and a rebuilt 59ab Block. (Brother was keeping it safe for me.) Wish I had been lucky enough to have had some type of roof over their heads and not needed the 50 to 100 dollars I got for most of them as I sold or traded them. What a collection I would have now. Makes me want to cry when I look back at pictures of all those old beauties. Sold a beautiful 100M Austin Healey for about $1500 and thought I should be locked up for robbing some poor stiff. Now $80K wouldn't touch it. And a dozen or so motorcycles of various makes.
daveymc29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2018, 03:52 PM   #9
40 Deluxe

Ah, 20/20 hindsight! We all have it, but if we all had foresight instead, there would be so many old cars around that they'd only be worth a tenth or less of what they really are now!
40 Deluxe is offline   Reply With Quote