Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 05-17-2020, 05:13 PM   #1
Tveditr

Default Fix or Replace

My 30 Model A coupe has what I think is the original wire loom. I have been having problems with shorts and bad connections. While looking into these issues I have run into areas where the fabric insulation is just gone. Do I look for these bare wire areas and fix them or just replace the entire wire loom.
Tveditr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2020, 05:25 PM   #2
d.

Default Re: Fix or Replace

The wiring is 90 years old...it ain't going to get better.
I would replace with fresh wiring and be happy knowing my Model A isn't going to catch fire.
d. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2020, 05:39 PM   #3
rotorwrench

There is really no good way to repair the original type cloth & resin covered wire. Replacement harnesses are out there. Some may be better than others. The light switch and terminal box are the busy spots with wiring. The model A is about as simple as it gets and most of the wiring sets come with a decent diagram. A person has to know what type of light switch they have and whether the car has park/cowl lamps or single element headlamp bulbs like the early 28 cars. A cross over is required if the car has an add on tail lamp. electric wipers also had a wire if so equipped.

An add on fuse at the starter switch is always a good idea. A lot of folks add a heavy duty cut off switch on the battery ground cable as well.
rotorwrench is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2020, 07:03 PM   #4
PalAl

Replace so you do not have this happen
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Model A Fire.jpg (69.3 KB, 219 views)
File Type: jpg Dry Powder Mess.jpg (72.9 KB, 218 views)
PalAl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2020, 07:23 PM   #5
McMimmcs

There are several companies and individuals that make outstanding wiring harnesses. The original harness is only about to get worse. No question, replace!
McMimmcs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2020, 07:43 PM   #6
40 Deluxe

Quote:
Originally Posted by PalAl View Post
Replace so you do not have this happen

Why is it that everybody has a camera phone and is so quick to use it, but nobody has a hose or fire extinguisher handy?? Seems like a case of mixed up priorities!
40 Deluxe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2020, 02:21 AM   #7
CarlG

Replace it. Sacramento Vintage Ford makes their own harnesses that are excellent quality at a reasonable price. They also use the braided wire covering like the original. You can't go wrong with these guys.
Model A Restorers Club
Antique Automobile Club of America
Mullins Owner's Club
CarlG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2020, 04:22 AM   #8
Werner

Quote:
An add on fuse at the starter switch is always a good idea. A lot of folks add a heavy duty cut off switch on the battery ground cable as well.
Yes, this is very important! -

I replaced all cables individually with new ones (old finish) with a slightly larger diameter. I have installed fuses so that they cannot be seen. And also a main switch behind the heels.

Ford Model A, Roadster, 1928
Citroen 11 CV, 1947
Hercules W 2000, 1976; (with NSU-Wankel Rotary Engine), Canadian version
Werner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2020, 09:00 AM   #9
Dino's A

Some things you just cant fix back to an original state of condition. Plus a fire can destroy
the whole car. You will be surprised how everything works so much better with a new harness. Bite the bullet and change it out.
Dino's A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2020, 10:17 AM   #10
Purdy Swoft

I use the color coded wiring harnesses from Bratton's and have never had a problem with them .
Purdy Swoft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2020, 10:59 AM   #11
Purdy Swoft

Study the wiring diagram on page 94 of the 2019 Brattons catalog . This diagram, with the listed color coding makes this procedure fool proof . I use to make my own wiring harnesses . The correctly color coded wiring harnesses offered by the vendors makes this process much easier for the newbe model a person .
Purdy Swoft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2020, 10:39 PM   #12
DNLs1930

The replacement wiring harness I would guess are modern (plastic or rubber) type insulation covered in fabric and then fabric loom? I just had to repair a few ends and pretty sure some of the original 90 year old wires were what I was dealing with. Looks like some "modern" wire was spliced into the original harness at the ends where they meet the head lights and horn so thinking based on the condition it is time to make it safe to drive. Dang would hate to watch it burn SAD!!!
DNLs1930 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2020, 12:59 AM   #13
DRG-ler

Replace the wiring harness completely, everything else would be just stupid. I'm facing the same problem right now. My previous owner had already started patching the cables, but it's a very bad job. All cables too thick, the same color, and only patched with the cheapest clamps in between.
What nobody has said here and many do not know ... The cable itself is extremely aged. The insulation becomes fragile and the copper in the cable is oxidized. (Becomes black / green) This has the consequence that the line resistances increase considerably! I only had 3V of the 6V on the battery on the horn and wiper! This means that they can no longer function properly. It won't be much different with the headlights. Furthermore, such a cable heats itself up and, in the worst case, can even burn itself. It doesn't even have to be a loose screw clamp.

As I said, I also have to / want to completely replace my wiring harness, but I will not take one finished. I will make it myself and upgrade the functions that I still lack. (Fog lights, trafficators, HiFi, heater blower, rear window heater ...) And very important, 13 additional fuses !!!

The cable plan for this has also become somewhat more extensive.
Pic:
http://www.drg-ler.de/Bilder/Ford/El...aneu1klein.GIF

Greetings from Berlin
Andy
DRG-ler is offline   Reply With Quote