Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 11-15-2015, 11:08 PM   #1
daveymc29

Default The Hamb

I see a lot of posts that appear to refer to a hop up question and the one who asks is referred to the "Hamb," as he is posted on the wrong site. Sometimes this is done nicely and sometimes... well you get my drift. What I would like to know is what is the Hamb? I don't want to have someone jump down my throat for asking a question they feel should never see the light of day on the Model A site. I already was taken to task because I asked about a vender that wasn't returning my calls. Don't need to make any more enemies than I already have.
Thanks again for any tips.
Dave Mc Arthur
daveymc29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2015, 11:20 PM   #2
700rpm

Default Re: The Hamb

The HAMB is the right place for hot rod questions: http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/

This site (Ford Barn/Model A forum) is for restorations discussion.

I don't know what H.A.M.B. stands for.

For some guys (including me, in fact, sometimes), asking a question here about hot rod stuff is like farting in church: it's just poor form.

As you go through life, keep your eye on the donut, not the hole.
700rpm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2015, 11:27 PM   #3
Charlie Stephens

HAMB stands for Hokey $#% Message Board.

Charlie Stephens
Charlie Stephens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2015, 11:27 PM   #4
robert shreveport

Hokey a## message board
robert shreveport is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2015, 11:37 PM   #5
700rpm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlie Stephens View Post
HAMB stands for Hokey $#% Message Board.

Charlie Stephens
Hahahaaa!

As you go through life, keep your eye on the donut, not the hole.
700rpm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2015, 11:56 PM   #6
bdave_mcc

The HAMB is for traditional hot rods. however you have to sift and search through tons of other threads as the hamb includes all kinds of old cars. Because of the way the search function works(it doesnt pick up the A when you type model A)unless ive just never figured it out, its sometimes hard to find answers to model a Questions. Also there are so many threads posted there daily, if you start a thread, sometimes its on the 2nd or 3rd page by the end of a day and may not get seen by many. You can still get lots of Model A specific info over here which is why id rather spend my time on the barn.
bdave_mcc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2015, 02:43 AM   #7
Manager

There are a lot of traditional hot rodders on here. A lot of times the questions get answered on here as well as being refered to the hamb. I must say the not so nice referals to the hamb seem to have gone, all the recent ones I have seen have been nice.
Manager is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2015, 04:00 AM   #8
Mike V. Florida

Send a message via AIM to Mike V. Florida

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manager View Post
There are a lot of traditional hot rodders on here. A lot of times the questions get answered on here as well as being referred to the hamb. I must say the not so nice referrals to the hamb seem to have gone, all the recent ones I have seen have been nice.
There are dozens of sites for hot rods, but there are only 4 of 5 for the restoration to stock of the Model A. I would not like to see this site become a HAMB II. Fine line, yes, that is what the administrator does. If the post is too far off it goes. There are several left that if I were the admin would be gone as well. Be glad I'm not the admin.
Old 11-16-2015, 07:51 AM   #9
BRENT in 10-uh-C

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike V. Florida View Post
There are dozens of sites for hot rods, but there are only 4 of 5 for the restoration to stock of the Model A. I would not like to see this site become a HAMB II. Fine line, yes, that is what the administrator does. If the post is too far off it goes. There are several left that if I were the admin would be gone as well. Be glad I'm not the admin.
Is there really 4 or 5 forums, -or just sites for restoration topics? I was aware this is/was the only forum that was close to Model-A restoration.

FWIW, I have seriously considered starting/funding a true Model-A Restoration forum, --not to compete against Ryan or this forum, but as a site to entice back the knowledgable talent who left this forum ...and as such have left a huge void here. It is my opinion that many of the answers given now are a direct result of topics they actually learned here on this site from those who have left. These folks have much more to teach us.

BRENT in 10-uh-C
www.model-a-ford.com
...(...Finally Updated!! )

BRENT in 10-uh-C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2015, 09:20 AM   #10
2manycars

Quote:
Originally Posted by BRENT in 10-uh-C View Post
Is there really 4 or 5 forums, -or just sites for restoration topics? I was aware this is/was the only forum that was close to Model-A restoration.

FWIW, I have seriously considered starting/funding a true Model-A Restoration forum, --not to compete against Ryan or this forum, but as a site to entice back the knowledgable talent who left this forum ...and as such have left a huge void here. It is my opinion that many of the answers given now are a direct result of topics they actually learned here on this site from those who have left. These folks have much more to teach us.
I like that Idea Brent. I am not a fine point kind of guy, but I find the posts about juice brakes, bangers, f100 steering and transmissions, and that sort of stuff distracting.
Maybe the hamb people could make a forum for model A hotrods only.
2manycars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2015, 10:05 AM   #11
Bob Bidonde

Improvements to Model A's to make them safer and more reliable for touring should remain on this forum. In my opinion, topics that should remain on this forum should include:
> Improvements to brakes including hydraulics;
> Improvements to steering including the substitution of more modern gearboxes;
> Improvements to exterior lighting including turn signals & emergency flashers;
> Substitution of Ford V8 wheels for wider tires;
> Addition of heaters;
> Improvements in engine performance including hi-compression heads, ignition upgrades, downdraft carburetors, better water pumps, better camshafts, insert bearings, static & dynamic balancing mods, pressurized oil system, cooling system improvements, etc.
> Coverage of the Improved Four Cylinder Engine, AKA the Model B which is an orphan in our hobby;
> Suspension improvements such as modern shocks & Panhard bars;
> Transmission upgrades, overdrive installations, lightened flywheels and V8 clutches.
> Body sound deadening and insulation;
> Paint systems and body work tips;
> Non-original tools that enhance restoration and maintenance.

If this forum goes purist, it will loose a lot of members. The HAMB is not comparable to the value and quality of this forum for 4-cylinder Model A Fords!
Old 11-16-2015, 10:39 AM   #12
harleynut

Well said Bob, I think there is plenty of room for the Purist and the folks that want to improve the safety, reliability and performance of the Model A with out hot rodding it.
harleynut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2015, 10:49 AM   #13
Charlie Stephens

My suggestion would be that anything acceptable to MARC and MAFCA for their touring or driving classes should be acceptable here.

Charlie Stephens
Charlie Stephens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2015, 11:25 AM   #14
George Miller

To me it is easy, it is all up to the one that owns message board. Just the same as are cars. It is up to the owner of the car.
George Miller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2015, 11:41 AM   #15
G&N Farms

I'm a member of the HAMB, have been for a long time. Both sites are from the same man, Ryan. When I started on the HAMB, it was very helpful, then it seemed a lot of flamers where on there so I would only go there once in a while. I hate posting then have someone tell me I'm stupid for not knowing what I need to know.

As a hot-rodder, I come here for original parts info for my all original 1930 Ford Model A P/U not for stuffing a 302 in there. I am and have been since 1980 an ASE master tech, have made a nice living as a tech and have always love cars. I do not or know anyone that knows everything. I can fix anything fuel injected, computer controlled or anything modern. The A is a different beast. I don't want to tame it but understand it.

The HAMB has a ton of great info and people, go to the HAMB drags and have fun. This forum has some very helpful people on here that are willing to help you out, some, well there is always those that do know everything.

Sorry for the long post, I'm passionate about cars but life is too short to be too serious.

Now back to lurking, it's safer that way
G&N Farms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2015, 01:00 PM   #16
P.S.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bdave_mcc View Post
... Because of the way the search function works(it doesnt pick up the A when you type model A)unless ive just never figured it out, its sometimes hard to find answers to model a Questions. .....

Dave,

Solution- You have to put Model A in quotes, like this- "Model A" when you do the search. That will narrow the results down to only posts that have 'model' and 'a' next to each other, the same way you typed it.

That also works if you want to search and specifically exclude something like juice brakes. You would type this into the search field: "Model A" -"juice brakes" Then, you would get results that include Model A and exclude everything that had Juice Brakes.
P.S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2015, 04:44 PM   #17
daveymc29

So now it all make sense. I like the likes of "Jim Brierley" telling me about cams and heads and such. Seems that there are those who don't, but for my money we can all learn from both sides of the car, sometimes even from the back seat. Thanks for the above posts. I understand the distaste from the purist, but respectfully disagree that they are the only ones worth knowing. I like most everyone.
Later
Dave Mc Arthur
daveymc29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2015, 05:03 PM   #18
Tiny

I kinda of walk both side of the line myself. You may enjoy following the monthly "Banger meet"
http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/t...corner.996845/
Old 11-16-2015, 05:17 PM   #19
Bruce Lancaster
Member Emeritus

HAMB has a possible structure for this...
Current HAMB has several boards that are more restrictive than the main board;
There is the HAMB itself, ALL the discussions that come in, restricted only by the general pre-1964 automotive limits, then there are the much more restrictive "Traditional hot rods" and "Traditional customs," tightly focused in early practices with anything considered astray moved back to the main board.
Such a structure might well fit here...a general Model A board pretty similar to this, and a very tightly defined second board restricted to knowledge and tech leading toward showing and progressing toward original perfection.
A discussion like the one on fixing broken fender wire would happily exist in both...a discussion on correct crossmember rivets for June of 1928 or texture of nickel plating on brake handle would be allowed into the resto one, a discussion of full flow oiling or mustang points would be allowed only into the general board.
And...I think that the controversial banning of people who turn a discussion of cotter pin orientation into personal attack is NECESSARY.
I watched all the knowledgeable people leave Ahoogah years ago, after they were repeatedly attacked by people with serious pesonality issues, and the same thing happen here to some of the best.
If you cannot disagree with someone without going to total war, go find an open board that welcomes the insecure and hysterical. There are plenty of great places out there for flaming and vilification.
Maybe requiring real names would help on that...?
Bruce Lancaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2015, 05:46 PM   #20
Ted Duke

Quote:
Originally Posted by George Miller View Post
To me it is easy, it is all up to the one that owns message board. Just the same as are cars. It is up to the owner of the car.
Well said, George! Agree

Ted Duke is offline   Reply With Quote