Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 10-05-2015, 09:58 AM   #1
dronedog

Default Hershey

Hope this is in the right place...
first time headed to the show. Coming in on Thursday and headed out Saturday. Not sure how much time it takes to get thru all of the swap meet. but was looking for some suggestions on a plan of attack.
Also wondered how many on here may have a spot there and what their location might be so I could be sure to hit all the Model A vendors.

if this is already posted somewhere, please just point me in the right direction.
Thanks and I enjoy reading the posts here even if I do not chime in all that much.
dronedog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2015, 10:10 AM   #2
Clem Clement

Default Re: Hershey

Buy a directory. That will help. Best plan is to get there early and hike. In my younger days I could to the entire show in a day. Not now. Wear layers of clothing and carry a shoulder bag or better yet, a back pack. carry water and food bars. Have a pas a pen to write down where things are that you might revisit.
Best wishes. It is much fun!!!
Clem Clement is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2015, 12:49 PM   #3
WTSHNN

Sadly, I cannot attend this year and I'm jonsing like an addict at the thought of all those booths out there not getting at least a once over from me. I contemplated making my friends carry an iPhone and face-timing me as they walked through the aisles but that seems to be a bit of a hassle for them.

I seem to post this every year and it still holds true for me.

~~~~~~~~~

Hershey is so big and so well attended that every person has a unique experience that may offer you a slight idea about expectations but literally cannot give you a full grasp of the event.

Here are my pieces of advice.

Be prepared to walk. I've never used a pedometer and there are a lot of tall tales about distances involved but expect to walk several miles each day. Comfortable shoes and a bottle of your favorite pain reliever will make it more enjoyable.

It is going to rain. You're going to get wet. Invest in a good quality raincoat or a very nice rain poncho before you get there. Regardless of what the forecast says; bring it with you and keep it with you.

I've gone on Tuesday with disappointing results (not a lot of vendors set up selling, real high "first day" prices etc). I've gone on Tuesday with great results. I've had incredible finds and deals every day of the week. My experience; the day of the week doesn't have too much of an impact on deals or quality. Differs from what others have expressed but that is mine.

Like Tom said, don't ever think "eh, I'll think about it and if I change my mind I'll come back for it." You will either be unable to find the vendor or the item will be gone. The time to buy is when it is in your hands. And never put it down. I have literally seen a guy holding a part, set it down while contemplating whether to buy it or not and someone else leans it, picks it up while simultaneously handing the vendor cash and walks away.

Leave the heavy items at the vendor's spot if he'll allow you (they almost always do after you pay), each vendor has a sticker on the ground with their spot number, I take a picture of it with my cellphone so I don't have to worry about writing it down incorrectly. All the light poles in the fields are numbered as well so write down a nearby pole number so you have a way-finding landmark.

I've never bought a map or a vendor index and have done more than OK. Those are helpful if you know you need to get to Vendor XYZ cause you're picking up a part that only he has but otherwise half the fun is finding the hidden Model A gems buried in a box that says "T-Bird parts."

Don't walk the car corral during the day. The vendors will start to close up around 5 or 6 but the cars in the corral almost always stay there overnight. It is well lit so I prefer to concentrate on the vendors while they are open and do the corral later.

Lots of good greasy food vendors set up but they naturally have bumped up prices. If you budget for it no big deal but if paying $5 for a hotdog isn't in your wallet then you might want to bring some snacks from home.

Have fun. Be prepared to see things you have never seen before. You'll meet a lot of good people but don't be offended if they don't stop and chat with you for a long time...everyone is in a rush to get in as much as they can.

-Tim
WTSHNN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2015, 01:06 PM   #4
Midwest Tin

Model a parts. Space RNH 19 Red Field. open Thursday Friday
Midwest Tin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2015, 01:11 PM   #5
C26Pinelake
BANNED

Location: Michigan / Ontario border, Sarnia, Ontario. 50 miles from Detroit and 150 from Toronto.

I personally found the directory a waste as I was a traveling man and not looking for a specific vendor
, Wayne
C26Pinelake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2015, 01:42 PM   #6
ctlikon0712

Dronedog, this may be something to help also.
I have a question and it kind of goes along with a first timer, this will only be my second time (first in 2010). Does anyone have any suggestions for parking? I.E. a good place to park that is close (and on pavement, not muddy) that might be more convenient and cheaper than the normal show parking.
Thanks in advance,
Craig
Old 10-05-2015, 01:54 PM   #7
quickchange

Green CG 15--19 Model A Kiwi Quickchange & forms,
quickchange is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2015, 03:31 PM   #8
dronedog

I saw something that said parking was plentiful on the main road in. guess I will chance that.
we should arrive mid-morning Thursday so I thought I might go right to the lodge and check out the RM auction cars. they have a 31 sport coupe listed and I wanted to see it in person.
then since we can't check in until 3 at the Super 8, figured we would just chance parking on Thursday. Maybe even go there and see if they have a shuttle... naaa, won't get that lucky.
dronedog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2015, 03:46 PM   #9
Mike

I will be at Hershey Tuesday through Friday if anyone needs anything/help
610-505-4504

Mike
Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2015, 06:13 PM   #10
Bruce Adams

Parking on the main road ??? NOT
I have NEVER seen any car parking on the main road or any other road touching the park. One guy I know parks at one of the fast food places east of the park, but I would not be surprised to hear him complain about it being towed one of these times.
Beat way is to bring the bride along and let her go antiquing after dropping you off in the AM and picking you up in the evening.
Bruce Adams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2015, 06:24 PM   #11
JOHN CT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruce Adams View Post
Parking on the main road ??? NOT
I have NEVER seen any car parking on the main road or any other road touching the park. One guy I know parks at one of the fast food places east of the park, but I would not be surprised to hear him complain about it being towed one of these times.
Beat way is to bring the bride along and let her go antiquing after dropping you off in the AM and picking you up in the evening.
Just take your time and enjoy . I've been going for 10 years and look forward too it every year.Allways seeing and meeting great people Who enjoy this great hobby

Last edited by JOHN CT; 10-05-2015 at 08:10 PM.
JOHN CT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2015, 06:33 PM   #12
1931 flamingo

I'll be going down Wed AM early just for the day. Don't need/want anything but at 71 I need to go one time (anyway). Will walk for as long as I can unless I connect with a scooter. Is there H/cap parking or is everyone that way??

Paul in CT

I'll have a Flamingo T-shirt on.
1931 flamingo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2015, 06:41 PM   #13
chl

last year I parked right off the highway directly across from the show,cost a few bucks but not unreasonable.
chl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2015, 07:39 PM   #14
Wick

Just saw a line of motor homes lined up @ the car corral road. There's a new building by the roller coaster.
The fields have gravel roads in them now. Campground is quite, not over flowing. Weather was sunny and warm today.
Wick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2015, 07:39 PM   #15
v bogart

31 flamingo; They have a H/cap lot Just look for the sign & You need a H/cap placard or H/cap plates.
v bogart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2015, 07:44 PM   #16
Clem Clement

You grabbing all the early bargooons??
Clem Clement is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2015, 07:46 PM   #17
brum1

Will be traveling tomorrow to Hershey from Boston area; Wed through Saturday; hope to see your there
Old 10-06-2015, 03:44 AM   #18
ronn

I park in the shopping plaza right past Wendys....................
ronn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2015, 05:32 AM   #19
Wick

Clem we all went to someone's shop yesterday evening and bought a bunch of A parts.
Wick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2015, 10:05 AM   #20
Doug in NJ

I'll be there bright and early Wednesday morning!

Doug