Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 04-27-2020, 09:44 AM   #1
BUBBAS IGNITION

Default Single point crab ?? Myth HP increase ???

Some monday discussion , a customer sent me these pictures with a couple questions. A lot of hot rodding is what i call mythical or created like fake news .
I remember early on a ton of flathead guys were running a single point plate and removing one set of points . My customer bought this distributor somewhere and found it had a single point modification to it . I remember servicing a few of these over the years .
It felt like it helped for the time but did it really. Well probably not , as the point plate would then only allow 26-28 degrees of dwell ( you had 36 to start with ) and then like the pic shows if you used a different point set up did ya have the skill required for proper rotor phase with the point set ?? ( probably not !! )
SO did this help ?? maybe mentally but in actuallity NO ...
Just a monday flash from Bubbas ........
Attached Images
File Type: jpg plate 1.jpg (56.9 KB, 80 views)
File Type: jpg plate 2.jpg (61.6 KB, 70 views)
BUBBAS IGNITION is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2020, 09:58 AM   #2
tubman

Default Re: Single point crab ?? Myth HP increase ???

If you find someone who wants that, I have a J.C. Whiney "Mini-Supercharger" they might also want. You know, the carburetor spacer plate with the little propellers in the throttle bores? Back then, there were a lot of gadgets sold for "Performance Enhancement" that did exactly the opposite.
tubman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2020, 10:05 AM   #3
40 Deluxe

Quote:
Originally Posted by tubman View Post
If you find someone who wants that, I have a J.C. Whiney "Mini-Supercharger" they might also want. You know, the carburetor spacer plate with the little propellers in the throttle bores? Back then, there were a lot of gadgets sold for "Performance Enhancement" that did exactly the opposite.
Well, weight hinders performance, so you go faster with a lighter wallet!
40 Deluxe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2020, 10:10 AM   #4
51504bat

Quote:

But you need to add J.C. Whitney split fire spark plugs to get the full potential of the Mini-Supercharger. And if you tape cow magnets on the fuel line you have a sure fire record holder with at least 25 MPG.
Old 04-27-2020, 10:19 AM   #5
fordwife

Lets not forget the "spark intensifiers" which plug into the coil wire and supposedly made a hotter spark. You could pull the coil wire partly out and get the same effect.
fordwife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2020, 10:25 AM   #6
BUBBAS IGNITION

Quote:
Ya had to bring that up didnt ya !!
Early in my career as a mechanic i had a job at a ford dealer , came in one morning the boss says that T bird has a miss in it pull it in and figure it out . Wanting to impress the boss as a kid tech i pulled the car in to find a 390 cu fe engine with one very dead hole !!!! Further diag found cylinder with no compression !! Intake has to come off and cylinder head , notice rocker arm very loose on that cylinder as well. Intake weights 114 lbs and sucks to take off . Intake off remove cylinder head flip over on bench one valve stuck open . Ant there it was , one propeller from a jcwhitney super charger !!! Very much stuck under the valve , oh well may need to look under carb , i just remember the job took me a couple days and didnt pay much....
BUBBAS IGNITION is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2020, 12:53 PM   #7
flatjack9

Back in the 60's when I worked at IHC in the engine lab, we used to buy all that junk and test them on the dyno. We never found anything that actually helped the engine. It was considered a win if it didn't hurt performance.
flatjack9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2020, 05:42 AM   #8
Terry,OH

It appears the distributor cam has also been modified.
Terry,OH is offline   Reply With Quote