Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 04-22-2020, 03:49 PM   #1
Conaway2

Default Identifying steering columns

I picked up two columns today - one is made by Gemmer, not sure about the other. My car is a 1931 - are either one of these more appropriate for that year ?

The middle picture is the non-Gemmer unit. Other two are both sides of the Gemmer unit.

Thanks - Jim
Attached Images
File Type: jpg B6F932B8-68C2-4090-917C-2F44D1B247A1.jpg (49.6 KB, 71 views)
File Type: jpg 7010445E-49F8-4D8C-832C-F11A7BAB1308.jpg (46.7 KB, 73 views)
File Type: jpg F3271455-792C-456A-912F-02F8A3939E92.jpg (65.5 KB, 65 views)
Conaway2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2020, 04:42 PM   #2
bobbader

Default Re: Identifying steering columns

They are both "Gemmer" units. One is manufactured by Gemmer while the other is manufactured by Ford or an outside manufacturer to Gemmer specs. That is to say, the 2 tooth steering boxes which they started installing in Feb, 1929 were designed by Gemmer. But, much like Zenith carburetors, manufacturing was done by more than one manufacturer. Externally, the outer housings are all interchangeable. Internally, with the exception of those that were specifically manufactured in early 29, parts are also interchangeable. Outside markings, as displayed in your pictures, varied by manufacturer, and date they were supplied. The Model A Judging Standards and Restoration Guidelines published jointly by the 2 National Model A Clubs have detailed pictures of the markings on each housing and applicable dates each was used. If you're concerned about which unit is "authentic" for your car as far as which unit the car would have had from the factory, the Standards will tell you that. If your concern is strictly for a properly functioning mechanical unit, the markings don't much matter.

You don't mention what year Model A you're working on and differences in the early Gemmer parts are hard to explain easily. If you need further information on these early parts please feel free to Private Message (PM) me.

Bob Bader
bobbader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2020, 04:49 PM   #3
bobbader

OOPS, didn't see that you mentioned the car was a 31. By 31, if I remember correctly, most of them did not have Gemmer markings. My Judging Standards are at work and I'm currently not there every day. I'm happy to check when I'm there next week (or sooner).

Bob Bader
bobbader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2020, 09:15 AM   #4
Bob Bidonde

The anatomy of the 2-tooth sector steering housing is that it contains (from the bottom up), a housing, a bearing cup, a roller bearing, the worm gear, a roller bearing and a special bearing cup that also incorporates the adjustment feature of the preload on all of the preceding parts.

In 1931, 2 service bulletins address changes to the 2- tooth sector worm gear, its bearings and bearing cups. See the Ford Service Bulletin of August 1931, Page 481 and see the Bulletin of December 1931, Pages 517 & 518. Also see the national judging standards steering section for variations in the sector housing.

If my view of the 2-tooth sector steering is not correct, please enlighten me.

The change in cups, bearings and worm gear make them non-interchangeable in the 2-tooth sector steering. Also the shaft length underwent a change. The bearing journals on the worm gear where changed from 25 degrees to 15 degrees. The angle of the bearings changed from 25 degrees to 20 degrees.

The old cups, bearing and worm gear are not interchangeable and not usually available, so if the old worm and or its bearings are not serviceable, all of these parts will need replacement. Replacing the worm gear requires a powerful press, so it is not a do-it-yourself task.

The judging standards indicates that there are 5 versions of the 2-tooth sector housing, so the trick is to identify which housing has the new 1931 internal parts. The judging standard gives no clue to what version of internal parts applies to the various housings. Personally, if I were buying a steering gear assembly, I would want one with the 1931 internal parts with the hope that the worm gear is usable. So I would opt for the latest version of the housing. By the way, the 2-tooth gear housings are interchangeable.

Last edited by Bob Bidonde; 04-24-2020 at 08:09 AM.
Bob Bidonde is offline   Reply With Quote