Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Late V8 (1954+)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 09-15-2018, 07:31 AM   #1
KULTULZ

Thumbs up The truth about dealer sevice departments

I just came across this video while CAROUSING WITH MY BROWSER this morning.

What this gentleman speaks is the truth. Been there, done that (well, not all of it) and have several t-shirts...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p7JJOFu2EhM

- DISCLAIMER -

The above posted information is in my opinion only (IMO) and may contain copy and paste material(s).

In addition, any above tech information is supplied in good faith. No responsibility implied or otherwise can be accepted for the way others use or interpret provided data.

Your experience(s), opinion(s) and mileage may vary.

DIAGNOSED CDO - (OCD In Correct Alphabetical Order)
KULTULZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2018, 09:38 PM   #2
Grumpy Rick

Default Re: The truth about dealer sevice departments

Interesting video. I believe him,,,,, but had to scroll down to the comments and just listen after getting dizzy.
Grumpy Rick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2018, 05:45 AM   #3
KULTULZ

Thumbs up Re: The truth about dealer sevice departments

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grumpy Rick View Post

Interesting video. I believe him,,,,, but had to scroll down to the comments and just listen after getting dizzy.

Now that was good ...

Maybe he was concerned about a possible GERMAN drone strike ...

- DISCLAIMER -

The above posted information is in my opinion only (IMO) and may contain copy and paste material(s).

In addition, any above tech information is supplied in good faith. No responsibility implied or otherwise can be accepted for the way others use or interpret provided data.

Old 09-16-2018, 07:12 AM   #4
raceron1120

There are many sides to this story. I worked at several dealerships for quite a few years. Some were good, others - not so much. Not being a mechanic but a parts guy, I saw some issues this fella mentions. Some shops valued their mechanics & did what was needed to keep them. I saw other places that couldn't care less about them. Some had porters to pull vehicles in for the techs. Parts ordering could be a hassle and didn't benefit anyone who worked 'flat-rate'. Some mechs were very good & could beat flat-rate but still do quality work. One of the down-sides for the dealers was that many of them would pay their mechanics for factory training or to get certs. But after they got the training or certification some would quit, leaving the place that paid for their training to go to private shops or fleets. One certainly cannot blame them for leaving if it was for more $$$ & benefits. In many cases the training and certs they got at dealerships was the gift that kept giving, perhaps in better pay, position, etc. In the long term, did that training & certs offset the time "wasted" ordering parts, going out to get a car in the lot . . .? I can't answer that. But as said, there are more sides to the story. Not defending the dealers or the mechs, both have points to be made.
raceron1120 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2018, 12:06 PM   #5
5851a

Friend worked at Ford dealership not to far from me, owner was a good guy and treated everyone fair. For some reason had to sell to investor type. New owner had a meeting with all mechanics, stood up in back of truck in shop and told everyone that it was their job to charge customers and charge them good so they would be there next time they were needed! Then over short time found ways to fire mechanics and replace with tech school grads at minimum wage.
5851a is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2018, 06:20 AM   #6
bobss396

Dealerships are all about the $$, the customer comes in 2nd all the time. I worked for a Caddy dealer for a short while, never again!
bobss396 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2018, 08:07 AM   #7
1942deluxe

I run a tiny Ford dealership in the coal region of Pennsylvania. My wife and I up front, service manager and two senior master techs. The first day I was here I told them treat every car like it's my mother's. I don't want a phone call she's stranded but I don't need you screwing me out of my inheritance(nursing home did that, ha!). We have some of the highest customer satisfaction numbers in the region and whole families that do business with us. We are in the process of being sold. If I had to take a bet the new owner doesn't understand how you need to do business in a small town.
1942deluxe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2018, 09:45 AM   #8
KULTULZ

Thumbs up Re: The truth about dealer sevice departments

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1942deluxe View Post

I run a tiny Ford dealership in the coal region of Pennsylvania. My wife and I up front, service manager and two senior master techs. The first day I was here I told them treat every car like it's my mother's. I don't want a phone call she's stranded but I don't need you screwing me out of my inheritance(nursing home did that, ha!). We have some of the highest customer satisfaction numbers in the region and whole families that do business with us. We are in the process of being sold. If I had to take a bet the new owner doesn't understand how you need to do business in a small town.
Not all dealers are, well not dishonest, but are only interested in numbers. Same with TECHS. They need to make a living also and if the dealer isn't trying to screw them, FORD MOTOR COMPANY is.

Anyways, the building in your AVATAR looks most interesting. Can you post more shots?

- DISCLAIMER -

Old 09-17-2018, 10:01 AM   #9
1942deluxe

KULTULZ, that building is about 3 miles from the building we are in now. First Ford dealership in Schuylkill county. The owner was shot in the spine when he was 18 and lost the use of his legs. Still could drive a car and taught many people around here how to fly. Building is still standing. If you Google B&L Ford you'll see our building. Started out as a Plymouth dealer in the 30's and then was a Nash dealership in the early 50's. Canfield brothers (Ford)moved down here in 1957. Ford wants a new building of course. Dealer 15 miles from us is putting up a 5.2 million dollar building. I'm sure that will be a pressure cooker and "up sell" will be the mantra.
1942deluxe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2018, 10:09 AM   #10
KULTULZ

Wink Re: The truth about dealer sevice departments

thanx!

- DISCLAIMER -