Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 08-28-2019, 06:41 PM   #1
Beater

Default ford B engine

hello gents, I don't think ive posted in this section before, so here goes. brought home what appears to be a industrial ? ford B engine. it was coupled to a welder and running it not that long ago it feels prity good. I removed all the goveners and extra home made tin work and all that to clean it up. now I do not know much about the B engine, lots about the A however. is there any way to tell without takeing off the pan to see if I have a balanced crank? and with this engine are the mains preasure oiled? anything else I should know feel free to please

edit looks like the original paint under the grime is silver I took lotsa pics if anyone wants to see something else

Last edited by Beater; 08-28-2019 at 06:49 PM.
Beater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2019, 07:13 PM   #2
DavidG

Default Re: ford B engine

Judging from your photos, given the engine number on the bell housing (which indicates that the engine was manufactured in April, 1934), the post-'33 generator, and starter motor, it is highly likely that the engine has a counterbalanced crankshaft as that went into production late in the '32 model year with all fours having the new crankshaft after engine number B5175103. You can satisfy yourself that is so equipped by pulling out the oil filler tube and with the use of a good flashlight you can see if it has the counterbalanced crankshaft (without removing the crankshaft).

The only minor inconsistencies are that the intake manifold is the earliest '32 version and the front timing gear cover is the '32 version, but the exhaust manifold is the '33-'34 version. The front of the engine is supported by what appears to be a modified '32 front cross member, which is consistent with the '32 timing gear cover.

The main bearings are oiled under pressure, but not the rod bearings.

Last edited by DavidG; 08-28-2019 at 07:25 PM.
DavidG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2019, 07:18 PM   #3
Beater

ive been reading up, and thanks very much for the info/ help. does the oil filler tube pull straight out? pressed in?

I didn't mention that it also has a double groove main pully
Old 08-28-2019, 08:03 PM   #4
DavidG

I noticed the pulley, but it's purpose is unclear. While not shown, the water pump was likely the '32 version, otherwise the pump and generator pullies would not be aligned (the generator's position being governed by the '32 timing gear cover).
The oil filler tube is press fit and normally easily worked out of the cylinder block.
Old 08-28-2019, 08:41 PM   #5
Beater

well I went and pulled the filler tube, not exactly sure what im seeing anyone have a pic of a balanced / unbalanced crank? where should the weights be ?opposite side of the rod side of the crank I guess? she looks prity much like an A in there

ok I got it figured out. it looks to be a balanced crank. so yahoo

next question, will an A head fit on this block? and will an A exhaust and intake bolt on aswell?

is the preasure plate the same as the A?

Last edited by Beater; 08-28-2019 at 09:25 PM.
Old 08-28-2019, 09:47 PM   #6
cas3

Smile Re: ford B engine

tomorrow i could get you a pic from my stash, but if you are familiar with model a cranks, the early b looks the same with round square corner weights at each end of a rod journal, where as the later counter balanced cranks are cast with a smooth blob of weight only on the opposite side of the rod journal. hope this makes sense, my descriptions often dont!
cas3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2019, 10:14 PM   #7
Beater

well I wouldn't mind if you posted a pic or two. I found a few pics online and im prity sure the smooth machined flaired weight is there opposite side of journal

Last edited by Beater; 08-29-2019 at 09:31 AM.
Old 08-28-2019, 11:43 PM   #8
Charlie Stephens

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beater View Post
well I went and pulled the filler tube, not exactly sure what im seeing anyone have a pic of a balanced / unbalanced crank? where should the weights be ?opposite side of the rod side of the crank I guess? she looks prity much like an A in there

next question, will an A head fit on this block? and will an A exhaust and intake bolt on aswell?

The A exhaust and intake will bolt onto the B block. The B intake has bigger passages and the carburetor is larger so you might consider using them. The A head will bolt onto the B block but there are two water passages that need to be blocked (maybe 4). People usually drill and tap the passages and use a sealer to block them. The clutch and pressure plate are the same and the B flywheel is fine for use in an A (but you can't use an A flywheel with a B transmission).

Charlie Stephens

Last edited by Charlie Stephens; 08-28-2019 at 11:51 PM.
Charlie Stephens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2019, 12:18 AM   #9
31Abone

model A exhaust manifold...oiling is still an open system (open to front timing gear)slightly more oil pressure then a model A..still basic gravity oiling to mains..rod oiling same as A but bigger journals and crank..my engine builder in carson city put me straight on oiling as he was tired of hearing about pressure to mains on a B which BS....my B after rebuild runs about 5 psi hot ...sc
31Abone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2019, 09:12 AM   #10
Charlie Stephens

Remember to be able to time it easily front timing cover needs to match distributer, B cover B distributer, and A cover A distributer.

Charlie Stephens
Old 08-29-2019, 09:33 AM   #11
Beater

Quote:
Originally Posted by 31Abone View Post
model A exhaust manifold...oiling is still an open system (open to front timing gear)slightly more oil pressure then a model A..still basic gravity oiling to mains..rod oiling same as A but bigger journals and crank..my engine builder in carson city put me straight on oiling as he was tired of hearing about pressure to mains on a B which BS....my B after rebuild runs about 5 psi hot ...sc
you are the first person ive ever heard say that the B isn't preasure oiled to the mains.
Old 08-29-2019, 09:47 AM   #12
ryanheacox

Quote:

A B head will fit an A block so I would think the opposite should work as well. Not sure about the manifolds but I would think so.
ryanheacox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2019, 10:00 AM   #13
DavidG

Unless you have the B-suffix version of the Model A head you would be giving up the '32 head's higher compression ratio.
Old 08-29-2019, 04:22 PM   #14
cas3

here's the two B cranks. balanced on left, plain on right. kinda sorta like my description
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0484.JPG (126.6 KB, 70 views)
cas3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2019, 06:13 PM   #15
Beater

thanks very much cas yes mine is definatly a counterweighted crank.
Old 08-29-2019, 06:14 PM   #16
Beater

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidG View Post
Unless you have the B-suffix version of the Model A head you would be giving up the '32 head's higher compression ratio.
well the reason I ask is if a fells wanted to put a high comp aluminum head on it
Old 08-29-2019, 06:15 PM   #17
Beater

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlie Stephens View Post
The A exhaust and intake will bolt onto the B block. The B intake has bigger passages and the carburetor is larger so you might consider using them. The A head will bolt onto the B block but there are two water passages that need to be blocked (maybe 4). People usually drill and tap the passages and use a sealer to block them. The clutch and pressure plate are the same and the B flywheel is fine for use in an A (but you can't use an A flywheel with a B transmission).

Charlie Stephens
what is the differences in the flywheel?
Old 08-29-2019, 07:44 PM   #18
DavidG

Size and therefore weight; the B version being lighter.
Old 08-29-2019, 08:13 PM   #19
Charlie Stephens

Quote:
what is the differences in the flywheel?
The Model B flywheel looks like a Model A flywheel that has been lightened. The Model A flywheel is on the bottom and my finger is pointing to the area on the Model A flywheel that is not on the Model B flywheel. If you use a Model A flywheel with a Model B transmission it will rub.

Charlie Stephens
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_1404.jpg (14.3 KB, 55 views)
Old 08-29-2019, 08:16 PM   #20
Charlie Stephens

Quote:
well the reason I ask is if a fells wanted to put a high comp aluminum head on it
When you put a high compression head on check for piston to head clearance. Sometimes the pistons pop up slightly over the top of the block so check for clearance.

Charlie Stephens