Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 01-23-2017, 01:02 PM   #1
Jeff/Illinois

Default Future of Collectible Cars.... something to think about

Been a lot of talk the last couple of years about where the hobby is heading. We all know that the youth today overall can really care less about old cars. That's just the way things are, times change.

A hundred years ago horses were all the rage.They played a big part in people's lives. Times changed. Today, who really gives a rat's behind about horses? Only a very small segment of society because we didn't grow up with them. Most people could care less about them.

Same can be said about our Model A's and T's, we are seeing that plus the muscle car market has been sliding. Home many 20 year old car nuts are out there? Not many. If 50 of this age group shows up at a car show, 50,000 are out doing something else. They want computers, smart phones, laptops, don't know or care even how to change oil on a car.

This is doom and gloom but sadly it is reality. Check out this article from Car and Driver. Mecum , B-J, and other big auction houses are busy now, liquidating investor's and hobbyist's collections.

http://www.caranddriver.com/features...ash-it-feature

I'm not saying sell out, I don't plan on it because I am in the hobby for the fun after I'm dead and gone I could care less what happens to my cars. This has been discussed here ad -nauseum, buy what you like and have fun and don't worry about a 'return' on your money, just like you would do with a 2017 model car depreciation is the way it is. But this has been a hot coffee house topic this winter with my car buddies! Just waiting for spring to hit here in NW Illinois!!

Last edited by Jeff/Illinois; 01-23-2017 at 01:10 PM.
Jeff/Illinois is offline   Reply With Quote