Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 09-28-2013, 02:13 PM   #1
tinmanlsu

Default Rear Shackle...

Hello, we are brand new to Ford Barn so please bare with us as we may not know the correct language or correct protocols...

My husband is currently underneath our '29 Phaeton. He is trying to change the rear shackles. We ordered new ones from Mike's and he has been able to remove the driver's side shackle. The new shackles have bushings that are the same size and they appear to be what we need to replace on the spring side but the opening on the perch side has no bushing...??...the opening on the perch appears to be the same size as the opening on the bushing.

Can anyone please help and thank you!!

Michael (and Naomi doing the typing)...
tinmanlsu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2013, 03:27 PM   #2
RHD

Default Re: Rear Shackle...

Sounds a bit odd. The bushing should press into the perch eye. Do you have the correct size bushes?
I have sent you a PM.
RHD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2013, 03:42 PM   #3
tinmanlsu

As far as I know we did. It was new and in a box from Mike's-afordable. The bushings for both sides of the shackles are the same. I have removed and inserted the one on the spring but the hole on the perch is so small it is the same size as the shackle arm. I can see nothing to remove and the shackle arm goes in with some resistance.

I think we have every book besides the one you are referring to. I will definitely add it to our list to purchase along with a spring spreader that I have now read up on because the spring has shifted.
Old 09-28-2013, 03:56 PM   #4
Tom Wesenberg

If you removed one shackle without the use of a spring spreader and didn't break any bones or car parts you were lucky.

Could paint or dried grease be masking the bushings in the perch?
Tom Wesenberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2013, 04:10 PM   #5
Mitch//pa
BANNED

The perch bushings are probably worn on the ends so it looks like nothing is there. Get the insertion tool to install the new bushings and it will also KNOCK out the OLD ones well worth the money. Today is your lucky day that you still have all your bodily parts still attached without using a spreader
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image.jpg (29.9 KB, 29 views)
Mitch//pa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2013, 04:21 PM   #6
tinmanlsu

Naomi(wife): I'm glad I didn't read the threads on this site about removing the springs...he didn't use a spreader. Reading them now, I am counting my blessings. Buying a spreader this afternoon to complete the project.

Thanks Mitch, we will look at getting an insertion tool. We can't see anything in there. He has used several tools on the perch in hopes that something would release the bushing, if there is one. He even went as far as to use a razor to scrape off old grease and paint. Nothing so far.

From what I'm gathering from you all is that there should be a bushing in there, is this correct?
Old 09-28-2013, 04:38 PM   #7
Mitch//pa
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by tinmanlsu View Post
Naomi(wife): I'm glad I didn't read the threads on this site about removing the springs...he didn't use a spreader. Reading them now, I am counting my blessings. Buying a spreader this afternoon to complete the project.

Thanks Mitch, we will look at getting an insertion tool. We can't see anything in there. He has used several tools on the perch in hopes that something would release the bushing, if there is one. He even went as far as to use a razor to scrape off old grease and paint. Nothing so far.

From what I'm gathering from you all is that there should be a bushing in there, is this correct?
correct and by using the tool it is properly sized to install and remove the bushing's. just wack it with a hammer and any old bushing has to come out
Old 09-28-2013, 04:59 PM   #8
tinmanlsu

Other question...

Now that I have you guys on the phone, we purchased this car two years ago and it hasn't run since we took it off the trailer. We started off with a coil problem, then distributor problem, brakes, wiring, and the list goes on...then we found gas slowly leaking from the tank. We had it serviced(boiled, sealed, etc.). Once we got I back we put gas in the tank to test it before we put it back on the car. Since them every time we fix one leak a new one appears...three in the last two weeks. We're afraid that if we put the tank back on the car even if we think we have fixed all the leaks it will still spring a new one.

Should we continue to try to repair the tank we have, have it completely boiled, sealed, etc. again or should we suck it up and just get another one?
Old 09-28-2013, 05:06 PM   #9
Mitch//pa
BANNED

is your tank rotted out all over? i would think it would have been noticed before you put money into repairing it. you also have to be careful of the sealer used as the ethanol in the fuel can eat it up and really cause a mess. it sounds like to me you should be looking for a good replacement tank. these are not reproduced.
mitch
Old 09-28-2013, 06:49 PM   #10
columbiA

If the new shackle fits without a lot of looseness in old bushing,I would'nt bother to remove old bushing.As for the rear spring,he could have been badly injured-or worse.Re & re-ing the rear spring & the gear shift lever spring are the 2 jobs that should be done with the proper tools.I think the gas tank should be replaced.When looking for a tank,shine a light inside to look for rust.You want a tank as rust free as possible,otherwise you will have nothing but trouble.It will make the difference between having a car you would be afraid to drive any distance or one that will take you on long distance tours.
columbiA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2013, 07:12 PM   #11
tinmanlsu

Thanks columbiA! Yes, I agree with everything that you said. I have been reading threads since my last post trying to make sure we don't do anything else stupid...

Thank you all for being so nice to the new comers as it makes us comfortable to come back for help in the future.
Old 09-28-2013, 11:37 PM   #12
tbirdtbird
BANNED

I have no idea how you were able to get a shackle out without a spreader. You should buy a lottery ticket.
Get your hands on a good book on Model A restoration; others can better suggest which one. This is a site loaded with good info. Don't be afraid to do a search on a topic or ask us, we are happy to help out.

Good luck and keep at it; eventually it will all come together, as it has for most of us. These are 80 yr old cars and they do need some help, just as we will when we are 80 haha.
Old 09-29-2013, 12:26 AM   #13
BILL WILLIAMSON

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbirdtbird View Post

These are 80 yr old cars and they do need some help, just as we will when we are 80 haha.
Hey, My Fine Feathered Friend,
I'm ONLY 77 & already need HELP! What did I do WRONG??? Bill W.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg CRUTCH MAN.jpg (4.0 KB, 2 views)