Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 04-11-2018, 10:01 AM   #1
chopped 46 ford

Default Flathead headers....

51 Mercury with stock steering box....
Looking for the best options on headers.
Considering the Fentons or the ceramic coated Sandersons.
Thought? Pictures would be great!
Thanks
chopped 46 ford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2018, 12:25 PM   #2
tubman

Default Re: Flathead headers....

I don't know if the Fenton's will fit the Mercury; perhaps someone else know for sure. I do know that they weren't supposed to fit my '51 Ford, but they did (with a minimal amount of grinding), so you may have to find out for yourself. I really like the Fenton's. They sound great and will probably last forever. I installed mine in the summer of 1987 when I bought the car. I replaced the engine last year because the original started making a funny noise. Upon inspection, the entire exhaust system was as good as new and ready for the next thirty years, at least.

Oh yeah; on my Ford at least, new front motor mounts helped a lot.
tubman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2018, 12:59 AM   #3
Vics Stuff

I have Fenton headers on my 41 Ford pick up and love them. Will last forever.
Buy once and be done with it.
Vic
Vics Stuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2018, 09:16 PM   #4
Rand

I have 20 plus yr old speedway cheap headers on my 50 Merc.. Fentons someday!
Rand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2018, 09:50 PM   #5
51504bat

You might check with Red's Headers about what will fit.
Old 04-14-2018, 05:28 AM   #6
aussie merc

for me only one way to go FENTONS they work plain and simple
aussie merc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2018, 09:56 AM   #7
Ol' Ron

Not sure why you want to use headers? They have no affect on performance. The do increase the heat in the engine compartment, and can be quite noisey in the passenger compartment. AT one time there was a cast iron exhaust manifold available that made this an easy conversion. You might get a copy of jWL's book.
Ol' Ron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2018, 10:19 AM   #8
donald1950

my experience is that tube headers will definitely radiate much more heat (150 or so more degrees of heat) under the hood and that translates to warmer in the cab of a 1941 PU. Fentons did a much better job of absorbing heat. personally, Fentons are the way to go passenger car or truck..... i used a laser temp sensor and that temp difference was surprising....
donald1950 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2018, 10:43 AM   #9
1948F-1Pickup

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ol' Ron View Post
Not sure why you want to use headers? They have no affect on performance. The do increase the heat in the engine compartment, and can be quite noisey in the passenger compartment. AT one time there was a cast iron exhaust manifold available that made this an easy conversion. You might get a copy of jWL's book.
That's an interesting observation. (that they have no effect on performance)
Are the original type manifolds that good that no improvement is possible with
headers? Or is the flow so bad out of the engine that it doesn't really matter
after the port because the port is the restriction?
You'll have to school me on this. I worked for a place that built the Robert Yates practice engines and we knew exactly what the effect of changes in "A" or "B" or "C" did in the exhaust side.

I will say this, if radiated heat in the engine compartment is a concern because of headers, you can always thermally coat them (inside and out).
That will definitely bring the temperature closer in line with what you'd see
with standard cast iron exhaust manifolds. A similarly coated cast iron header would definitely put the heat out the exhaust more so than an un-coated cast iron manifold.
1948F-1Pickup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2018, 11:27 AM   #10
tubman

I can definitely say that in over 30 years of running them, heat has not been of any concern with my Fenton headers.
Old 04-14-2018, 04:58 PM   #11
Ol' Ron

John Lawson (JWL) Wrote a book called "Flathead Facts". I suggest you get a copy. Max VP sells them. Well worth the money, you might learn allot.
Old 04-14-2018, 08:25 PM   #12
JSeery
Member Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1948F-1Pickup View Post
Are the original type manifolds that good that no improvement is possible with headers? Or is the flow so bad out of the engine that it doesn't really matter after the port because the port is the restriction?
Mostly the latter as the stock exhaust are just log manifolds. Headers on a flathead are about the look and the sound.
JSeery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2018, 09:57 PM   #13
quickchange34

Speaking of header performance Joe Albin as also written some very informative books on flatheads and their performance . He has tested engines with headers and with out on his dyno and found headers do increases hp. The proof is in the line graphs in his books . I would like to see the chart comparisons from those who say they don't work .
quickchange34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2018, 10:19 PM   #14
Tinker

In the spirit of internet interest. I think the last thing you need is headers. If you aren't increasing flow. I have fentons I like them. On a stock engine do I think headers will increase hp by 15%. hmmm maybe not... If you mill heads and put a 2x2 on? ahhh maybe but probably not that much. Root blower... well yes
Tinker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2018, 10:40 PM   #15
Tinker

buy jwl book. It's a good read.
Tinker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2018, 12:03 AM   #16
RalphG

If I'm looking at replacing old cracked original cast iron exhaust manifolds I might consider headers simply for durability and cost. Both sides are cracked and broken on my 53 engine. If the day ever comes that I get it running, I might need to consider headers. If for nothing else, the dual exhaust sound.
RalphG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2018, 01:22 AM   #17
Vics Stuff

If you were to get into the engine . I used cast iron baffles in the center exhaust port to help in directing the exhaust gases to the exhaust manifold. That in itself was a big improvement in engine temps.
Vic
Vics Stuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2018, 12:40 PM   #18
Ol' Ron

I'm sorry I miss lead anyone with the statement that headers don't add anu more power. To qualify this statement, I was refering to a stock or mild engine. For just running dual exhaust, they are not necessary. I was wondering if the drivers side aftermarket manifold is still available? The factory offered duals on some models in the 52/53. and this was picked up a few years back.

Now someone mentioned that running exhaust dividers made the engine run cooler. I'doubt this but have no information to the contrary. Remember you must have a reason to modify something. The exhaust dividers were designed for a racing engine with a long duration cam shaft. these cams have a longer duration exhaust valve opening and closing so both the 2/3 and 6/7 exhaust valves would be open at the same time. one on there opening cycle the other on the closing cycle. Thus the hi pressure of the opening cylinder, would contaminate the closing cylinder.
Now if that made any sense to anyone out there, you might want to explain it to me. However, if your planing on running at Bonneville, you might consider using them.
Old 04-15-2018, 12:56 PM   #19
tubman

I bought a set for a 276" engine I built for a '36 3-window I had about 20 years ago. It had an Isky MAX-1, a 390 Holley, and an MSD ignition. When it came time to install the engine, I looked at them two lumps of iron, looked into the middle exhaust ports, looked at the lumps again and put them back in the box and put them on the shelf where they still reside. I just could not fathom how adding more cast iron in there could be of any help.
Old 04-15-2018, 01:20 PM   #20
34fordy

I have always thought a set of headers looked really neat in the engine compartment--But on my 34 Fordor survivor, with iron heads and about 5.5 to 1 compression ratio,well, not so much--I removed the muffler and now the sound that comes out that little 1-1/2" tailpipe is music to my ears--Climbs hills in 3rd gear like a mountain goat with no offensive noise--
If I find a coupe or a pickup some day, I will have aluminum heads and a nice set of Fentons if only for the looks-- Respectfully, Don
34fordy is offline   Reply With Quote