Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 09-11-2015, 04:28 PM   #21
farmboy

Default Re: Saving a family treasure...(1936 1and1/2 ton)

Quote:
Originally Posted by LBs 37V8 View Post
What he said...
Badly rusted frame on my '37 required a replacement donor chassis, in this case tho a car chassis.
It's rusty of course, but I think it's very solid. I'm gonna remove the bed before long to get the crust off good and replace the wood down there. I'll be showing pics and getting advice on here and locally bout the frame when time comes! Thanks for the help!
farmboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2015, 05:01 PM   #22
corvette8n

Do take and post pictures as the restore progresses, looks like a fun project.
corvette8n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2015, 05:19 PM   #23
Mike B

Quote:
Originally Posted by farmboy View Post
It's rusty of course, but I think it's very solid. I'm gonna remove the bed before long to get the crust off good and replace the wood down there. I'll be showing pics and getting advice on here and locally bout the frame when time comes! Thanks for the help!
I'd bet the frame would be good, usually large truck are...probably has solid cab corners, rockers and lower front cowls as well.

Sitting in the vines like that, might want to look at the inner side of the window frame though.

I love anything 35/6 truck!

Have fun with the project.
Mike B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2015, 05:26 PM   #24
Vanspeed

Sure looks like it could be a demonstrator from your pics. Your wheels have the same pinstripe. Pretty rare if it is as I imagine most demonstrators are long gone. Very cool piece of family history.
Old 09-11-2015, 06:26 PM   #25
JAKEFORD

It's 95% cleaning and oil soaking and 5 % mechanical / electrical. Take your time and exercise patience. This is one strong truck.
JAKEFORD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2015, 06:46 PM   #26
Capt Kirk

Bret, great story...I'm so happy for you. You've got a great project there and the family history is amazing. At some point, you're going to have a question and I'll answer that before you have even thought of that question. My dad owned my car back in the early 40's (it's a 35) and it's been in the family ever since. I got faced with the decision to build it back to the way it rolled off of the assembly line or restore it back to the way my dad had it. I posed that question on the Barn and after everybody read the story of my car (similar to your story) the resounding response was to restore it the way my dad had it. With that in mind, honor that truck as a family heirloom and not a product of an assembly line or what the current value is. The value lies in the history! You've come to the right place to get answers as you begin the restoration. If you add up all the old Ford V8 experience in years on this site, I'm sure it adds up to 1,000,000 with a few people, that I won't name here, making up the bulk of that!
Empty wallet
Capt Kirk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2015, 07:06 PM   #27
39topless

Great project and welcome. Just a suggestion, as you are doing this, keep a REALLY detailed log of everything you do to this truck. Photos, videos, receipts etc. You will be amazed at how quickly you forget things and a running log will prove a valuable, and entertaining asset.
Good luck and, "KEEP ON TRUCKIN!!"
39topless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2015, 08:52 PM   #28
farmboy

Thanks for all the awesome feedback fellas I knew I come to the right place, I may be wearing you all out before it's over! I have thought hard about restoring it like my grandfather had it and putting his name on the side. What the truck is worth after we are done means absolutely nothing to me, my grandfather wanted this truck saved and that's the main reason I'm doing it ! I also have a six-year-old son to pass this down to, to me that means everything !

I'm going to try to work on it from time to time this fall but it will be this winter when I can focus on it like a job as it is my downtime on the farm you will be hearing a lot more for me then LOL!

I do however nearly having engine ready to remove I'm going to try to get the ball rolling on that the carburetor is completely froze up I have seen where can buy new ones I may consider doing that but I'm going to soak this one first and see where were at
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image.jpg (55.6 KB, 137 views)
Old 09-11-2015, 09:14 PM   #29
4t8v8

Quote:
Originally Posted by 39topless View Post
Great project and welcome. Just a suggestion, as you are doing this, keep a REALLY detailed log of everything you do to this truck. Photos, videos, receipts etc. You will be amazed at how quickly you forget things and a running log will prove a valuable, and entertaining asset.
Good luck and, "KEEP ON TRUCKIN!!"
This is excellent advice. Mine was a rust bucket when I started on it in '84. It had to be stripped to the frame and built from the ground up. I took the time to keep records and many pictures of the tear down, restoration and re-assembly. I still have the receipts for every part I found and bought. Now, 30 years later it is fun to go back and remember.
4t8v8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2015, 09:43 PM   #30
paul2748

Before you sand down that door, try to figure out the details on the lettering (size, etc) so you can replicate it.
paul2748 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2015, 09:56 PM   #31
Clem Clement

Welcome. Best wishes on the truck. Does she have a name as yet? As you work on it, you will feel generations of your family about you
Clem Clement is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2015, 10:44 PM   #32
farmboy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clem Clement View Post
Welcome. Best wishes on the truck. Does she have a name as yet? As you work on it, you will feel generations of your family about you
It's funny you say that, as we nickname things on the farm all the time. My old Mack I haul with is "Ole Blue", my white dodge farm truck we call the "white goat" and the list goes on. My great grandfather was referred to as "Pop Palmer" by all his grandkids, so it's always been call "Pop Palmers truck". so guess that's what we are calling it for now.

There a number he wrote on the the top of the cab inside..72 and1/2, im guessing that is the number of bushels he was hauling of something possibly and he wanted to remember it? So many cool things about the truck, I have thought about doing the lettering like the original, that is what i'm leaning on doing.
Old 09-11-2015, 11:13 PM   #33
al's28/33

Great story......welcome......don't' be shy ask anything and search the old threads there is a ton of advice here!!
al's28/33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2015, 10:31 AM   #34
Model51

Great truck. My restoration expertise is limited to 1935 and 1936 Ford big trucks, hence my handle "Model 51". If you have any questions about your truck, I'm happy to give you my opinion. I have most of the Ford truck literature for these trucks and almost 200 drawings from the Ford Dearborn research library just on Model 51 parts. Your truck looks very complete and doesn't look modified which will be a great help in your restoration efforts.
Dave
Model51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2015, 02:26 PM   #35
V12Bill

The stripe on the picture of the trucks front wheel while still in the brush, matches the strip that Bob C and Farmboy submitted. Apparently you do have not only a rare Demonstrator, but one with a lot of original paint!!!
V12Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2015, 03:34 PM   #36
VeryTangled

Hi Everyone, farmboy, WOW, just WOW. You are a lucky guy.

Can't wait to hear how the story continues. Those pinstriped wheels are a smoking gun!

I'm trying to find the word PALMER on the door, but just can't see it yet. What does the door say?

Have you thought about supporting the Early Ford V-8 Foundation Museum?
VeryTangled is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2015, 05:45 PM   #37
farmboy

Wow, this is really getting exciting, the demonstrator possibility of this has me rethinking how I'd want to restore it. Made it official today with our cousin, and she brought some old pictures she found! Check this out, word for word what is on there. If u look on the driver door u can still make out this cursive styling faintly. Thing is, dad and the cousins remember it being blue as he paint brushes it blue it appears. The yellow can back after years in the fence row. I'm overwhelmed all the enthusiasm from you folks, I'm really excited, but wondering how I want to paint it now. Right now a ways to go before I do that, gonna check out engine in next week hopefully depending on work! Bret
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image.jpg (59.5 KB, 200 views)
Old 09-12-2015, 06:19 PM   #38
39topless

As an "old" sign painter, I can tell you that the lettering on the door was not done by a professional sign painter of that era. That was probably applied by who ever owned the truck at the time (an amateur but a skilled one).
39topless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2015, 07:03 PM   #39
Mike B

Quote:
Originally Posted by 39topless View Post
As an "old" sign painter, I can tell you that the lettering on the door was not done by a professional sign painter of that era. That was probably applied by who ever owned the truck at the time (an amateur but a skilled one).
Care to explain?
Mike B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2015, 08:27 PM   #40
Clem Clement

Can you leave POP Palmers writing on the truck. Can you carefully remove the brush blue paint and save the yellow? Ask the truck : she will tell you
Clem Clement is offline   Reply With Quote