Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 11-11-2012, 01:32 PM   #1
leontripp

Default Fuel Change

Will my 1930 Tudor's engine run on diesel fuel or, "kerosene"?
leontripp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2012, 01:54 PM   #2
Tom Wesenberg

Default Re: Fuel Change

I don't think so, and it would cost more anyway. Our John Deere H had two tanks, so you could get the engine warmed up on gas, then switch over to kerosene.
Tom Wesenberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2012, 01:59 PM   #3
leontripp

Thanks for the reply, Tom. An old-timer told me they used to be able to run A's on kero and since I have a lot left over I thought I would give it a shot.
leontripp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2012, 02:21 PM   #4
Tom Wesenberg

I should have also mentioned that you need to switch back to gas for a few minutes before stopping the engine, so the carb will be full of gas for the next COLD start.

I like to use diesel or kerosene as a cleaning solvent. Once the parts are cleaned I use a syphon sprayer and gas to spray off the oily residue from the diesel.
Tom Wesenberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2012, 03:06 PM   #5
marc hildebrant

As I remember, Diesel is the same (except for some additives) as Number 2 fuel oil, and Kerosene is the same as jet fuel. I would think that using Kerosene would work but diesel would be real hard.

Marc
marc hildebrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2012, 03:51 PM   #6
700rpm

My dad claimed he ran his A on diesel and kerosene in the depression, after starting it with gasoline. I can't guarantee or verify that information, though. He's been gone for 30 years.

As you go through life, keep your eye on the donut, not the hole.
700rpm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2012, 04:02 PM   #7
Bruce Adams

The MOST interesting fuel for the Model A might be CHARCOAL COMBUSTION PRODUCT, where, during WW 2, certain Europeans who could not get gas would start a charcoal fire in a burner, say behind the car, routing the fumes to a special carburator for running the car on these fumes after starting it on gasoline.
Bruce Adams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2012, 04:06 PM   #8
eagle

It will run, but will smoke something fierce and foul plugs.
eagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2012, 06:24 PM   #9
ed thibodeau

I ran my 31 murrey on heating oil and gas with 2 tanks in 1958 while going to college in weather as low as -30* after warming up it ran fine but did smoke a lot and I cleaned the plugs every couple of days.
ed thibodeau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2012, 09:11 PM   #10
columbiA

When I had my 1st A back in 53,I would sometimes add a couple gallons of stove oil from Dads fuel tank when I couldnt afford the 25 cents a gallon for fuel.It smoked a lot,but got me by until I could afford to fill up.
columbiA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2012, 10:14 PM   #11
Mike V. Florida

Send a message via AIM to Mike V. Florida

Quote:
Originally Posted by 700rpm View Post
My dad claimed he ran his A on diesel and kerosene in the depression, after starting it with gasoline. I can't guarantee or verify that information, though. He's been gone for 30 years.
There were two tanks the main tank had the kero and a smaller tank had the gasolene. The A would be started on the gas to bring up to temp and then switched to kerosene.
Old 11-12-2012, 12:14 PM   #12
BILL WILLIAMSON

Don't try straight diesel!! I witnessed this in 1949: Chief & I ran out of gas in a Model A, he siphoned diesel out of a nearby Caterpillar, KERBLOCK, KERRATTLE, KERFIZ, and noises I never heard before, BLACK SMOKE, stink, but we made it 2 miles home for supper. It was a bitch to get it drained & cleaned out to get it runnin' agin.' The exhaust stunk for 3 days! Bill W.
Old 11-12-2012, 12:36 PM   #13
Dave in Boise

I have heard that you could pour a qt or so of diesel in a tank of regular fuel in your an and the added oil content would work as an upper cylinder lube.. Also seemed to be mentioned around here as a way to keep the vaporlock gremlins away (?)

I have run on the e-85 (85%) ethanol fuel for a tank or so to see if it would run, but have not tried the more oliy fuels.. Would think that you would need a lot higher compression to get straight diesel ( after heating up appropriately on regular gasoline) to do more than act like a bug bomb. The smoke would have to be really something to behold
Dave in Boise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012, 03:59 PM   #14
juke joint johnny

OK !! Idiot Confession time;
A few months ago I left my wife at the supermarket and drove around the corner to get some gas in the A pickup I drove up to the pump and a friend turns up that I hadn't seen for while and at the same time 2 Frenchmen are taking pictures and asking Questions , and with 2 different languages being directed to me I go and pump 2 gallons of DIESEL in the A!!!!!
OMG so now what do I do ??? I know the wife will be ready soon and that Model A's will sort of run on kerosene so I filled it to the brim with gas !!!!
It ran OK on the mixture had to adjust the GaV and it smoked like it had 200,000 mile on it , It was a bit difficult to start, took 5or 6 try's each time to start when normally it goes first time.
I was preety nervous running this mixture but it didn't seem to do any lasting damage
not something I would recomend though. I was glad when that tankful was gone.

I do know someone who puts one gallon of kerosene per tank of gas in his Model A
He says it runs cooler like that and has been doing it for more than 20 years .

John Cochran
juke joint johnny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012, 04:16 PM   #15
ken ct
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by leontripp View Post
Will my 1930 Tudor's engine run on diesel fuel or, "kerosene"?
Leon,i wish i had your extra kero as i heat my shop with an old 2 burner vented kero heater. Kero is selling here in Ct @ the local Hess station for $5.50 a gal. I use around 100 per winter heating the shop. One oil dealer in my area will del for me once a yr as i have 2 55 gal drums of it.Hes a little cheaper than station but not by much.These old burners through some heat when they get going. ken ct. Formally of Fall River,Ma. lol.
ken ct is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012, 06:13 PM   #16
marc hildebrant

Kerosene and Diesel are not the same fuel.

Marc
marc hildebrant is offline   Reply With Quote