Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 05-10-2018, 06:56 PM   #1
Newc

Default Fake buyers? here?

Just an idea/ question. What are these members who pretend to purchase an item, and then go dark, doing? Are they collecting contact info/ Or is it a more nefarious intention? I've had a total of 5 in my fordbarn career, and am ready to out them... but may break some rule. Newc
Newc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2018, 07:07 PM   #2
Dave Castle

Default Re: Fake buyers? here?

Are u talking about people who agreed to buy something, then backed out, or someone who inquired about something u were selling, then u did not hear back from them ?
Dave Castle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2018, 07:20 PM   #3
VeryTangled

Hi Everyone, Newc, Are these members that post on threads or just use the swap section? Are they people who show up and disappear or do they have a 'track record' here?

Have you thought about supporting the Early Ford V-8 Foundation Museum?
VeryTangled is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2018, 08:39 PM   #4
JM 35 Sedan

Why don't you report this to Ryan?

"Never give up on what you really want to do. The person with big dreams is more powerful than one with all the facts". Albert Einstein
JM 35 Sedan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2018, 08:56 PM   #5
19Fordy

I'm confused about this thread.
19Fordy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2018, 10:10 PM   #6
51504bat

I've had items listed for sale both here and on the HAMB and for the most part all was good. But there have been a few occasions were a member says he wants it and when I respond with a shipping quote I never hear from them again. Nothing to be gained by outing them. Its just how things are sometime. Forget about it and move on. JMO.
Old 05-10-2018, 10:12 PM   #7
TJ

I recently posted an item for sale and was asked for photos. I advised the potential buyer to give me a day and I would send the photos. I then asked for his e-mail address and I would send the photos via e-mail. So I got the photos and emailed the potential buyer 3 more times for his e-mail address and never got a reply. His posting handle is pipemaster. Obviously he does not have the courtesy to respond back as I see he has posted here as recently as yesterday.

The we come to a poster by the name of stone30. I should have been suspicious when he only had 77 posts since 2010. He advertised a new Bob Drake '40 Ford steering wheel. I asked for photos and did get two photos. The wheel looked good in the photos so I paid the price and the wheel showed up. First it was a 16" wheel rather that the standard 17" wheel. There was not the usual Drake name anywhere to be found on the wheel. Then I find the retaining ring for the horn button fell out as I tried to install the horn button. And last I noticed some maroon grease had been placed in the tapered hole where it mounts to the shaft. This did look strange and then I tried it on the shaft only to find the taper would not allow the wheel to go down on the shaft in order to even get the nut started. I e-mailed this seller back and told him that this wheel was basically junk. Needless to say I never heard back from him. If anyone sees this guy(stone30) posting again with parts for sale stay far, far away.
I should add that almost all of my buying and selling experiences here have been excellent, so I don't want to sound like there's a serious problem here. The lack of courtesy and integrity of a small minority should not deter people from doing business here.

Last edited by TJ; 05-11-2018 at 08:19 AM. Reason: add info
TJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2018, 11:23 PM   #8
Newc

Well; thanks for your thoughts. these fellows ask for final prices including shipping and then go dark, or even respond that they will be sending the price and then go dark. the latest one has been a member since 2010 with No posts! Just thought I'd share the experience. newc
Newc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2018, 07:11 AM   #9
chap52

It's probably good that the deal went south early in most cases before any funds were exchanged.
Sometimes even when ordering from reputable vendors we have to return something. Frustrating at times for sure.
I recently requested more info on a car that a big time auto cosigner had advertised. Got a call back and the guy said he would get back with me the next day, didn't happen. Sent them lots of questions and even an offer for consideration. That was over two weeks ago.
Now I get to choose...I put them on my "don't do business here" list.
So it's just the way the world operates today. It does "come around".
chap52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2018, 09:49 AM   #10
A bones

chap52 says it right. I had a similar thought... maybe it could be just one of those deals where the plan gets presented to 'momma' and the 'momma' says, 'look we need... I want... you can't... and he just can't 'fess up to a lack of control. Don't ask how I know .
Old 05-11-2018, 10:08 AM   #11
JM 35 Sedan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Newc View Post
Well; thanks for your thoughts. these fellows ask for final prices including shipping and then go dark, or even respond that they will be sending the price and then go dark. the latest one has been a member since 2010 with No posts! Just thought I'd share the experience. newc
I've also had this happen here, and on other Internet websites. I take note of the bad actors, and they won't get another opportunity with me. Unfortunately, that's the way things go at times in todays world of dealing with folks on the Internet.
On the other hand, I've dealt with many fine folks here, for both buying and selling.

"Never give up on what you really want to do. The person with big dreams is more powerful than one with all the facts". Albert Einstein

Last edited by JM 35 Sedan; 05-11-2018 at 12:29 PM.
JM 35 Sedan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2018, 11:54 AM   #12
Dave Castle

or, sometimes the seller is the bad actor. U request pics, for instance, on a supposedly pristine item, the pics arrive 2 weeks later & the item is junk, why get back to the seller ?
Dave Castle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2018, 11:55 AM   #13
Ford Freak

Just another fact of life now .........F F
Ford Freak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2018, 01:19 PM   #14
Seth Swoboda

I don't sell a lot of parts but I have some extras that I do sell. I have had folks ask and request photos. I get them their information and a price. They sometimes do not get back with me. It doesn't bother me at all. If you don't like the price or the part that is fine. It doesn't bother me. I just go about life. I also don't think there is anything to be gained by "calling out" someone who doesn't respond. You never know their situation either.
Seth Swoboda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2018, 01:49 PM   #15
Ggmac

It's better than prepping a car for a potential buyer to show up and never show . Days wasted !
Ggmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2018, 03:12 PM   #16
scicala

Happens to me all of the time. When people ask about carburetor work, then say they will send me a carb, I will get about one out of ten that actually show up. It's just human nature I would say.

Sal
scicala is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2018, 03:18 PM   #17
Brent

Could it just be the person didn't like the price so they moved on? They aren't a buyer until you have $ in your hand (or bank).
Brent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2018, 04:19 PM   #18
Thor

One way to avoid a lot of this and sift out the non-responders from the get-go would be to post pictures with your ads when you first post them. The old adage is true - "A picture is worth a thousand words". It only takes a little more effort when you first post the ad to include a few photos and people can see what is for sale. If they aren't interested they will generally move along and won't go to the effort of wasting your time.

My 2 cents.
Thor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2018, 05:24 PM   #19
skidmarks

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thor View Post
One way to avoid a lot of this and sift out the non-responders from the get-go would be to post pictures with your ads when you first post them. The old adage is true - "A picture is worth a thousand words". It only takes a little more effort when you first post the ad to include a few photos and people can see what is for sale. If they aren't interested they will generally move along and won't go to the effort of wasting your time.

My 2 cents.
You hit the nail on the head!

I know a few that if they posted pictures to start with they would never get a reply.....condtion compared to the asking price...

But dwelling on people who never reply...who cares.
skidmarks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2018, 07:21 PM   #20
Tinker

Most selling I do on ebay. The back and forth is really none or to a minimum. Probably because of pictures and format of being a bid.

Anything I've sold here was because I was following someones build and offered it through PM for the build.

Pictures are really mandatory on a easy sell. Makes things sell better over all. But a forum is like Craigslist (or a box of chocolates) ya never know what you'll get.

There will always be tire kickers and looky loos. I think some do it to kill boredom, a quick thanks but, no thanks would be proper, ya thinK that will happen? All good.
Tinker is offline   Reply With Quote