Go Back   The Ford Barn > To The Editors > The Test Forum

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 04-02-2020, 01:49 PM   #1
V8COOPMAN

Default '35-'36 W/8BA Fan

Click the link below for an expose with details and pictures of a mechanical fan that Heard and I designed and fabricated for his '36 3-window coupe with an 8BA. PM me for a few more pictures, or additional details. DD
__________________________________________________ _

Our old friend Heard near Daytona, Florida has a cool little '36 3-window that some of you may remember from previous threads.

It has an 8BA in it, and it HAD an ugly, somewhat inefficient electric fan strapped to the rear side of the radiator when he bought the car. He wanted to get rid of the electric fan and come-up with a mechanical fan that would bolt-on to the 8BA, yet clear the rearward-slanted radiator found in '35s and '36s. So, we began to scratch our collective asses for a solution. Just so happens that I noticed a picture of the front of the 8BA in Jim Pullen's (19Fordy) beautiful '40 coupe. That picture showed a bracket that wasn't familiar to me, so I asked Jim what it was. Several years before, Jim had MANUFACTURED that bracket from scratch to hold a fan that would fit below his upper radiator hoses, yet also clear everything else that might get in the way.

Jim's bracket below:

Of course, Jim also came-up with the bearings and the other hardware necessary, as well as machining the fan hub/pulley parts to make it all work......beautiful craftsmanship!

So with that little homemade fan carrier bracket in mind, my wheels started turning. I came-up with a key (secret) element in the "Heard Fan" design which was the fan hub/bearing assembly out of an old Chevy Corvair. Yup, they were air-cooled with a big fan on top of the engine.

Heard procured a NOS Corvair hub and we started designing/fitting pieces from there. He mocked pieces from wood and fitted directly on the car. Heard eventually came-up with a full-sized, mocked-up wooden bracket. For the few folks that are thinking- "This is way too much trouble to go to for a fan"...Heard drove all the way over to Tampa and bought this Linley Jig Borer just to do the whittling! From there, he whittled (machined) the solid bracket to hold the Corvair fan hub. As you can see below, the bracket mounts to a '42-'48-ish fan bracket which bolts-on to the slide adjustment bolt on the front of the 8BA intake manifold. The pulleys are store-bought items. The alternator pulley drives the fan, if you're wondering. Heard had to carefully trim the angles and width on the rear slot of a double-belt alternator pulley, to accommodate the wider belt for the flathead. Ratios and pulley diameters were carefully considered from start to f
inish. It all worked-out really well, as this rig cools his 8BA very well on hot Florida summer days, while maintaining about 5/8" clearance between top of fan and the radiator. DD

The Linley in action:

Heard's rig below:

Installed and operational below:

……...

'35-'36 W/8BA & MECHANICAL FAN

T5 W/TORQUE TUBE
V8COOPMAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2021, 06:38 AM   #2
Ol' Ron

Default Re: '35-'36 W/8BA Fan

I have ab electric fan in the roadster
Ol' Ron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2022, 09:19 PM   #3
alanp561

Do you think it would be possible to modify this fan setup for a 59AB? With the stock fan mount as low as it can go, the fan blades are going to run into the bottom of the upper radiator hoses about 1/4" and the fan mount is sitting right on top of the distributor. I don't want to shorten the stock blades and then attempt to balance them.

Last edited by alanp561; 01-03-2022 at 09:22 PM. Reason: Add information
alanp561 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2022, 03:23 PM   #4
Coolguyanda36ford4dor

Hello, hello, I was just wondering if anyone has has found a solution to the fan clearance on your Ford, I am Also having trouble with clearance issue. I have a 36 Ford sedan I believe the radiator is out of a 37-39 The top two hose connectors come out the side or rear of the radiator instead of the bottom, the alternator that was originally on the car when I bought it looking to put a generator back on it however measuring from the center of the generator bolt to the top of the radiator do not have clearance for a 15 1/2 inch fan , There is a indentation where the fan will go up into the radiator but still it’s not enough clearance , any information would help, thank you, Coolguy
Coolguyanda36ford4dor is offline   Reply With Quote