Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 04-02-2018, 05:23 AM   #21
BRENT in 10-uh-C

Default Re: Is There an Axle Vent or?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corley View Post
No no... That will spit out oil. Oil slings all over inside the banjo. Any vent would have to be in the axle tube, with a floating cap to keep debris and water out. Also, all of them that I have taken apart always had a gasket between the torque tube and pumpkin. Lots of oil in that area too.
Better check again, ...or better yet, would you give me the original Ford part number for that gasket please?

BRENT in 10-uh-C
www.model-a-ford.com
...(...Finally Updated!! )

BRENT in 10-uh-C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2018, 11:03 AM   #22
Corley

I'm not a rear axle expert, I've only taken half a dozen or so apart, but every one I've removed had that gasket. Perhaps some early ones, or some from specific plant sites did not include it, I don't know. Tom Endys rebuild write-up says some rear axles did not use it. My wall chart lists it as A-4207, and that is the number listed by most of the venders as well. They all seem to carry it, some under a different number.

Given that areas imersion in oil, it would not make sense to not use a gasket at that point. Henry did not always make sense, but for the most part he tried.
Corley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2018, 01:32 PM   #23
hardtimes

Smile Re: Is There an Axle Vent or?

Quote:
I'm not a rear axle expert, I've only taken half a dozen or so apart, but every one I've removed had that gasket. Perhaps some early ones, or some from specific plant sites did not include it, I don't know. Tom Endys rebuild write-up says some rear axles did not use it. My wall chart lists it as A-4207, and that is the number listed by most of the venders as well. They all seem to carry it, some under a different number.

Given that areas imersion in oil, it would not make sense to not use a gasket at that point. Henry did not always make sense, but for the most part he tried.

Valuable input/info Corley, thanks !
That Tom Endy is the guru of 'rear ends', eh !
hardtimes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2018, 02:20 PM   #24
john charlton

I have pulled many rear ends apart over the years mainly to salvage usable parts ,we have "hedgerow discoveries" here which are several grades below a "barn find" I have never found a gasket between the torque tube and banjo,this might be an Manchester plant thing .The special bolts are "fitted" and the flanges are machined very flat so that seems to keep the lube in .

John in very very wet somewhat dreary Suffolk County England .
john charlton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2018, 04:53 PM   #25
BRENT in 10-uh-C

Quote:

Actually, I just looked again to verify and there is not any A-4207 Part number listed in any of the original Ford parts books that I have. Very likely it would have been in the A-450* section, --or possibly between the A-4025-4035 section, but there is no mention of it anywhere including the Service Bulletins.

If memory serves me correctly, these were introduced in the Early V-8 years and as such mechanics just started to use them on earlier cars like the Model-A because the bolt pattern was the same. The same applies to parts vendors who just added them to your wall poster.

BRENT in 10-uh-C
www.model-a-ford.com

Old 04-02-2018, 06:30 PM   #26
d.j. moordigian

Quote:
Originally Posted by BRENT in 10-uh-C View Post
Just a FYI, the rear axle cannot vent thru the shift tower or the speedometer drive if the seal is correctly installed. The design of the seal in both axle housings is such that pressure will force the lip to the axle shaft.

The place where the air CAN vent is between the torque tube and the differential (banjo) housing as there is not a gasket there. Because the rear end assembly does not get hot due to friction from gears or bearings, there really is not a need for a vent however if someone feels compelled to add one, then remove one of the axle housing to diff. housing bolts at the top and drill a 1/16th inch hole thru the middle in the center, and re-install the bolt. That would give it a place to vent without a noticible alteration.
Brent,...are you sure?...I believe the "lip" on the seal faces forward..
d.j. moordigian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2018, 05:16 AM   #27
BRENT in 10-uh-C

Quote:
Originally Posted by d.j. moordigian View Post
Brent,...are you sure?...I believe the "lip" on the seal faces forward..
Re-read which seal I referred to Dudley.

BRENT in 10-uh-C
www.model-a-ford.com