Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 03-18-2017, 07:08 PM   #1
brum1

Default Stubborn Fuel Leak

Fuel bowl leak with cork gasket Any recommendations-don't want to over tighten the bowl clamp (no pliers)

Anybody use sealant on gasket? rubber vs. cork gasket? or do you tighten bowl clamp thumb nut with pliers ?
Old 03-18-2017, 08:06 PM   #2
Tom Wesenberg

Default Re: Stubborn Fuel Leak

How thick is the cork?
Ethanol will mess up the rubber gasket.
Some of the repro sediment bulbs may be made too light and pulled out of shape by over tightening the bail.
Tom Wesenberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2017, 08:54 PM   #3
BILL WILLIAMSON

I would change it to the CAST IRON sediment bowl. They're simple, have a GREAT screen & the handy drain cock, in case you get water.
The kit for them is CHEEP, it's just a screen & a lead sealing washer.
Bill W.
Old 03-19-2017, 12:17 AM   #4
Big hammer

My glass sediment bowl gasket is NOT a ring, it has web's across the middle if that makes sense. The webs keep the gasket round on the edges and makes for a better seal ! I think the sediment bowl came from Berts or Brattons or Synders, I shop for the best price and the best shipping rates. Sorry Berts,Brattons,Synders I was brought up that way :-(
Big hammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2017, 01:44 AM   #5
H. L. Chauvin

Hi Brum 1,

1. About 10 years ago, when restoring and buying sediment bowl screens and gaskets, I noticed that not all Model A parts suppliers had:

A. Sediment bowl screens with the same outer diameter; and/or,

B. Sediment bowl rubber gaskets with the same inside diameter to allow the NAPA #3039 in bowl paper filter to function.

2. Check to verify that the outer diameter of the sediment bowl screen is small enough to fit into the inner smaller diameter glass recess on the top lip of the glass bowl. Some time ago I bought a "new" screen from one Model A Parts supplier that was too large in diameter. After installing, the screen was sandwiched between bottom of the gasket and the top of the outer rim of the glass bowl; hence, the top outer glass rim of the bowl was not sealed, and was not in direct contact with the gasket and thus caused fuel leaks. I ordered a couple of new screens from a "different" supplier and the outer diameter of the screens were small enough to fit into the smaller diameter glass recess.

3. Also, some people cause leaks, when not thinking, by incorrectly first placing the round sediment screen up into the upper metal cap, install the gasket next, and finally the glass bowl. Both the upper metal cap and the top, outer rim of the glass bowl has to be in "direct" contact with the gasket, and both have to apply pressure to compress the gasket.

4. If using an in bowl #3039 filter, also had a new rubber gasket with inside diameter too small; hence, covering up the outer holes in the NAPA #3039 filter ..... ordered same from different supplier and all OK.

Hope this helps.

Last edited by H. L. Chauvin; 03-19-2017 at 01:48 AM. Reason: typo
H. L. Chauvin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2017, 06:01 AM   #6
brum1

Thanks guys, will take a closer look
Old 03-19-2017, 11:07 AM   #7
katy

Quote:
do you tighten bowl clamp thumb nut with pliers ?
NO, it's called a THUMB nut for a reason.
Old 03-19-2017, 12:25 PM   #8
H. L. Chauvin

Ever notice nobody misplaces the gasket on a Mason jar where the cap seals when placed on top & rotated CW when looking from the top; however, some have difficulty with sediment bowl gaskets, screens, and NAPA #3039 filters, where the glass container cap is placed from the bottom, and the nut is turned CCW looking from the top.

Some can never seal a glass sediment bowl maybe because they cannot think upside down.

Must have something to do with one's mental perception of their physical location with respect to the equator, where swirls of water drains in lavatories either CW or CCW above and below the equator ..... or maybe have something to do with where the glass bowl was manufactured, i.e.,, above or below the equator.

Hope this helps.

Last edited by H. L. Chauvin; 03-19-2017 at 12:44 PM. Reason: typo
H. L. Chauvin is offline   Reply With Quote