Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 10-24-2013, 08:31 PM   #1
Maclab58

Default Why is it?

Why is it that 400-A's and 180 deluxe Phaetons seem to come up for sale more often than cabriolets? I just purchased a nicely restored 31 slant window cabriolet and have been watching several different sights looking for similar cars and I'm just not finding them. Are they that much rarer or do owners just tend to hang on to them? Just a curious observation. As for mine, I could not imagine ever parting with it.
Maclab58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2013, 08:37 PM   #2
Roadster62

Default Re: Why is it?

Interesting, I know of two 180's for sale locally. I've always though it would be nice to have a Sport Coupe, never ran across one. Bob
Old 10-24-2013, 10:57 PM   #3
Mike V. Florida

Send a message via AIM to Mike V. Florida

owners just tend to hang on to them
Old 10-24-2013, 11:18 PM   #4
Marco Tahtaras

You must be new to looking for cars. If you want something specific it is always the rarest! The only time most folks are "in the right place at the right time" is when they are more focused on the deal than on the specific car.

On rare occasions we get lucky. It doesn't look like you did to badly in that regard unless of course you were hoping for a cheaper, crappier car.

BTW, keep looking and NOW they will seem more common!
Old 10-25-2013, 11:25 AM   #5
700rpm

I always liked 28-29 coupes, and have owned a couple. But what I really wanted was a 29 business coupe with the oval quarter windows. Only about 37,000 were made, and in over fifty years of playing with Model A's I had never even actually seen one. I gave up watching, advertising for one, and hunting about ten years ago.

But then, in October of 2011, one showed up on Craigslist about ten miles from my house. That car, my avatar, is now in my garage. My dad used to say, "What's yours will come to you." Sometimes it just takes a while. But the funny thing is, three more have shown up locally in the last two years!

As you go through life, keep your eye on the donut, not the hole.
700rpm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2013, 12:12 PM   #6
Ross/Kzoo

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)
As was said previously you can get exactly what you want, when you want it if you're willing to pay the price. The rest of us keep an open mind and are willing to either wait or accept something that isn't 100% of what we had originally wanted.
Ross/Kzoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2013, 08:51 PM   #7
Maclab58

Marco,
I have studied cars all my life but model A's just in the last 4 yrs. I have had 4 in that time, 28 AR sport coupe, a 31 slant window sedan sold to a friend in our club. I replaced it with a 31 steel back Victoria that I delivered today to my brother inlaw today and my newly acquired 31 slant window cabriolet that I acquired 2 weeks ago. It just seems like over the last 3-4 years I have seen very few 31 slant window cabs for sale.
Maclab58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2013, 07:37 AM   #8
MrWzrd
BANNED

and sometime they just follow you home when you aren't looking.
MrWzrd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2013, 08:07 AM   #9
Bob-A

Wink Re: Why is it?

In the not to distant future I would like to "down size" from two roadsters {'29 & '31} to one cabbie. I know where there is a nice '29 older restored cabriolet that may be pruchased. But, a '30 or '31 cabbie has a little more leg room I believe. And every little bit helps.

Bob-A
Bob-A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2013, 10:00 AM   #10
Kevin in NJ

Having talked to many cabriolet owners I do find the people are particularly attached to their cars. I believe they are just held onto more so they are less likely to come up for sale.

They are also sought out more so they tend to change hands easily and may not really pop up in ads as much. I have been aware of some sales that just happened without ads.

I have also been intrigued by the number of people that owned a 68C and sold it and moved onto something else. Shortly after they either buy their old car back or buy another 68C.

In any event, they do seem to be popular.
Kevin in NJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2013, 09:37 PM   #11
azmodela
BANNED

They aren't any rarer than what you mentioned, and rare isn't always good!

It's the same with new cars, you never notice the others until you start driving one of the same, then you swear they're all over the place.
azmodela is offline   Reply With Quote