Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model T (1909-1927)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 05-10-2020, 08:46 AM   #1
KCW

Default 1926 Ford Model T Battery

Hi everyone,

I’ve got a 26 Ford Model T pickup. I love it but don’t drive it too much. Battery died and need a recommendation for a new one. Currently have a NAPA and been through two of them. Can anyone recommend another brand? Thank you!

I believe it’s a 6v but I’m not sure - not an expert here!

KCW
KCW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2020, 09:38 AM   #2
redmodelt

Default Re: 1926 Ford Model T Battery

Group 1 6 volt was stock. If it is 12 volt, you would need a battery that is that same size with the terminals in the same location. 6 volt battery will have 3 filler caps. If it's 12 volts will not have filler caps, just covers over each group of 3 cells.

(just in case: if someone put an 8 volt in, it will have 4 filler caps)
How old is the battery? Do you have a farm store close by? If the car sits for years or?, do you have a maintainer for the voltage that you can use in between uses? If the car is just sitting, why not take the ground strap off.
Old 05-10-2020, 09:43 AM   #3
KCW

Question Re: 1926 Ford Model T Battery

Any manufacturers you recommend? I was looking at Mac but not sure.
Old 05-10-2020, 09:50 AM   #4
redmodelt

It really is not going to matter what brand we recommend, there are only a few comp's making batteries, they often just get labeled for the seller. If we knew where you are located someone might be able to make a recommendation where to get one. Have you looked around your area, picked up the phone and done some checking to see what other options might be beside NAPA or ordering one from Mac's?
Old 05-10-2020, 10:13 AM   #5
stevests

Try Tractor Supply or even Auto Zone - as Mark said - if it's original, it takes a Group 1.
stevests is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2020, 11:04 AM   #6
redmodelt

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)
Also check to see how old the battery is before you buy, some times at places that sell them, they don't have a lot of call for 6 volt batteries so may not be real fresh. Most all should/will have a sticker or date made code on them someplace. The Model A used the same battery, you might also ask there too. Going back to what I said before, having your location (does not have to be exact) will help if someone is in that area making suggeston were they got one.
Old 05-10-2020, 01:47 PM   #7
zzlegend

After you buy a battery, Get a battery tender and plug it in every few weeks. Those 6 volt battery's seem to go south in a hurry if not trickled charged every so often. I have battery tenders on all my vehicles. Just my opinion and yours my very.
zzlegend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2020, 07:09 PM   #8
39portlander

I got my 6v battery from O'reilly's the name is Super Start group 1, 640CCA and there is a 130RC below that. I have a 26 fordor and thinking we have the same size battery box and this one would work.

Try and get your battery local that way you have a source for replacement and warranty with out dealing with shipping and handling from parts vendors.

The battery tender thing is a must and let us know how you make out. I was surprised they had this right on the shelf when I got mine several years ago.
39portlander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2020, 06:29 AM   #9
jimTN

Rural King has the best prices.
jimTN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2020, 07:54 AM   #10
Robert/Texas

On both my Model T's, '22 roadster and'27 touring, I have 6-volt Optima batteries mounted on their sides. They cost more but last much longer. I have one that is over 12 years old. They don't need trickle charging and hold their voltage after months of non-use. They don't leak and corrode everything and they crank the engines a little faster. I started using these because the Exide batteries that I was buying from Tractor Supply were only lasting about 18 months and often even less.
Robert/Texas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2020, 04:57 PM   #11
JoeBauer

My first T had not run for 10 years when I got it. I bought a new 6V battery from Advance Auto, then replaced the cables and starter switch. The starter wouldn't crank. So I removed the Bendix and starter, then checked the starter on a 12 V battery. The starter worked fine.

I rechecked all my connections, rechecked the starter button, and was reading 6V at the end of the cable that attaches to the starter. So I put the starter back on, hooked it up, and it wouldn't work.

I took the 6V battery back to Advance and they checked it. It put out 12V, but did not have the ability to put out the needed amperage. They said that 6V batteries are often defective because they don't sell many and they sometimes sit on the shelf for a long time.

I bought a 12 V battery. The starter turns over faster on 12V. Lighting, turn signals, and LED's are easier to buy for 12V. All four of my T's now have 12 V batteries.
JoeBauer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2020, 07:50 AM   #12
KCW

Hey everyone,

Thanks for the info! How about this one from Mac?

https://www.macsautoparts.com/ford_m...ual-posts.html

Looks like this is 12 volt. Is this ok for my 26 T roadster pickup? Will it fit in the battery compartment? Expensive but could be worth it! Thanks for the advice!

KCW
Old 05-12-2020, 09:26 AM   #13
redmodelt

That link takes us to the wrong make and model car page.

Replace the battery with what voltage is in the car now. You can not just drop a 12 volt battery in a car set up for 6 volts and expect to be good to go. If it is now 6 volt battery and want to install a 12 volt, you need to change the cutout and bulbs. Unless this is a show car, I am guessing the battery you are looking at in Mac's is Ford script (without a parts number to go by just guessing?), why would you spend extra money on something no one can see? Go to your auto parts store with the old battery and if wanting to go to 12 volt, have them match it for size and terminal location.

Now for the million dollar question;

What is the issue with the old battery?
Have you tried charging it?

Have you tried charging it and taken back to NAPA for testing?

What size cables do you have between the starter, starter switch and starter?
Have you cleaned the places where the cables attach?

Is the generator working?
Old 05-13-2020, 06:46 AM   #14
stivemorgan

Hello everyone. Interesting thread. Thanks for the information.
stivemorgan is offline   Reply With Quote