Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 02-26-2020, 07:30 PM   #1
whirnot

Default Redneck ( but effective) way to clean gas tank

See link:
https://m.facebook.com/groups/151865...32540970401788

1929 Roadster
1929 Briggs Town Sedan
1930 Closed Cab pickup
Smith Motor Compressor
1951 Ford F1

High Desert Model A's
whirnot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2020, 07:41 AM   #2
David R.

Default Re: Redneck ( but effective) way to clean gas tank

I wonder how hard it was to get all the shot out?
David R. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2020, 08:11 AM   #3
Keith True

I thought everybody did it that way.It was what I always saw when I was a kid,and have been doing it myself ever since.Because of a shelving factory that used to be here,every old garage has bags of 1/4-20 square nuts hanging around.Pour a pound of them in a tank with some muriatic acid strap it to a wheel and let it run.I've heard people say you can't get them all out,that's just not true.It's just that the last one will take you about 5 minutes.I strap the tank to the wheel with the instrument panel side against the wheel.That way it scours the top of the tank,and that's where I find the most rust to be.I've been an equipment/tractor mechanic all my life,and would have to do this a couple dozen times a year.Small tanks,like for the Cat and John Deere pony engines I would tape up in rags and use a cement mixer.Same thing with motorcycle tanks.
Keith True is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2020, 08:50 AM   #4
big job

Cement mixer 3/4 stone, some tuff stuff and let er rip.
big job is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2020, 09:16 AM   #5
whirnot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keith True View Post
I thought everybody did it that way.It was what I always saw when I was a kid,and have been doing it myself ever since.Because of a shelving factory that used to be here,every old garage has bags of 1/4-20 square nuts hanging around.Pour a pound of them in a tank with some muriatic acid strap it to a wheel and let it run.I've heard people say you can't get them all out,that's just not true.It's just that the last one will take you about 5 minutes.I strap the tank to the wheel with the instrument panel side against the wheel.That way it scours the top of the tank,and that's where I find the most rust to be.I've been an equipment/tractor mechanic all my life,and would have to do this a couple dozen times a year.Small tanks,like for the Cat and John Deere pony engines I would tape up in rags and use a cement mixer.Same thing with motorcycle tanks.
I thought about the nuts, but was afraid I might not get them all out. So I used 10 pounds of BB steel shot, and 10 pounds of #6.
I was planning on turning it like you explained and doing it again. That's funny, I never heard of this being done before, thought of it all myself.

1929 Roadster
1929 Briggs Town Sedan
1930 Closed Cab pickup
Smith Motor Compressor
1951 Ford F1

High Desert Model A's
Old 02-27-2020, 09:18 AM   #6
BRENT in 10-uh-C

Quote:
Originally Posted by whirnot View Post
Nice tractor Bill!!

I realize you only indicated this method would make it better and not perfect, but I would definitely offer a challenge to you. Open it up where all of the insides can be seen to verify the rotating method does get all of the rust inside.

If you are apprehensive about cutting it open, I will make an offer to you. Send me the tank and I will cut the tank open in the factory welds while videoing it with a GoPro. This will show what the inside of the tank looked like and then I will weld the tank back together and send it back at no charge. I will let you post the video showing how effective your process was.

BRENT in 10-uh-C
www.model-a-ford.com
...(...Finally Updated!! )

BRENT in 10-uh-C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2020, 06:19 PM   #7
whirnot

Quote:
Originally Posted by BRENT in 10-uh-C View Post
Nice tractor Bill!!

I realize you only indicated this method would make it better and not perfect, but I would definitely offer a challenge to you. Open it up where all of the insides can be seen to verify the rotating method does get all of the rust inside.

If you are apprehensive about cutting it open, I will make an offer to you. Send me the tank and I will cut the tank open in the factory welds while videoing it with a GoPro. This will show what the inside of the tank looked like and then I will weld the tank back together and send it back at no charge. I will let you post the video showing how effective your process was.
No, this method does not get all the rust. I really didn't think it would. It does knock off all the loose stuff, and removes a good portion of the rust. If this was a fine point restoration, I wouldn't consider it, but I feel that it will take care of the majority of the issues. I will do a triple rinse, then run a fuel filter for 6 months or so.
It does look far better than my other two A's and that have no issues. It looked really bad when I started. In fact it appears that someone had a tank in the bed for a while.

1929 Roadster
1929 Briggs Town Sedan
1930 Closed Cab pickup
Smith Motor Compressor
1951 Ford F1

High Desert Model A's
Old 02-27-2020, 07:14 PM   #8
DBrer

That looks like a good idea to me.
DBrer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2020, 07:44 PM   #9
California Travieso

Send a message via Yahoo to California Travieso

Quote:
Originally Posted by whirnot View Post
No, this method does not get all the rust. I really didn't think it would. It does knock off all the loose stuff, and removes a good portion of the rust. If this was a fine point restoration, I wouldn't consider it, but I feel that it will take care of the majority of the issues. I will do a triple rinse, then run a fuel filter for 6 months or so.
It does look far better than my other two A's and that have no issues. It looked really bad when I started. In fact it appears that someone had a tank in the bed for a while.
Whirnot,

You should take Brent up on his offer. Won’t cost you anything except the shipping, then no worries.

David Serrano
California Travieso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2020, 05:39 PM   #10
Purdy Swoft

I agree !!!
Purdy Swoft is offline   Reply With Quote