Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Closed Thread

Old 04-22-2011, 03:08 PM   #1
Old Redneck

Send a message via AIM to Old Redneck Send a message via Yahoo to Old Redneck
Default If gas prices go to 6 bucks a gallon

If gas prices go to 6 bucks a gallon I am going to buy my wife a bicycle. That should make her happy I hope but don't count on it.I guess we will be staying home a lot more.
Old 04-22-2011, 03:38 PM   #2
40cpe

Default Re: If gas prices go to 6 bucks a gallon

Hey Ken, I hope that "IF" is far fetched. If it happens it will thin out the crowd in the old car hobby. It will probably thin me up as well 'cause groceries and everything else will go up proportionally.
Old 04-22-2011, 03:47 PM   #3
Manuel

Its pretty expensive here too. A$6 for the cheap and nasty stuff and about A$10 for 98 octane in Australia :-(

Manuel in Oz
Old 04-22-2011, 04:05 PM   #4
oldford2

We drive our 46 about 2000 miles a summer. Last year we went 2700 because we took a 1600 mile trip to Nova Scotia in it. But, at 16 mpg to drive 2000 miles takes 125 gallons of gas @4.00/gallon current = $500. Now for some of you folks that have multiple cars worth $$$ I can't understand how you can't afford to drive them. Life is short. Look at at what they pay for gas down under or even in Canada. John
Old 04-23-2011, 06:10 PM   #5
Richard

Gas is expensive.
Old 04-22-2011, 04:09 PM   #6
Old Redneck

I guess back to horse and buggy to go o town. Won't be able to buy in town to high prices. Going to have a big garden also. Lots of spuds and turnips also.
Old 04-22-2011, 04:32 PM   #7
oldford2

Maybe we need to start a fund for Redneck. Send gas $ or turnips. Now I think I have seen enough of Redneck's posts to know he is jesting. But, he does make a point on this crazy spiral in gas prices. John
Old 04-24-2011, 11:41 AM   #8
Brendan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redneck View Post
I guess back to horse and buggy to go o town. Won't be able to buy in town to high prices. Going to have a big garden also. Lots of spuds and turnips also.

Redneck, you can also rase hogs in your front yard! lol!

i can't spell my way out of a paper bag!
Old 04-24-2011, 12:06 PM   #9
Old Redneck

I learn a long time ago to make do with what you got. To get ahead one must live under his means.Save a little for a rainey day.People in business will hurt the most.The tourist trade will hurt the most which wasn'r doing that great anyway.
Old 04-22-2011, 03:47 PM   #10
Ford46

Ken, I'm going to go broke on the trip to Indianna this summer if that happens. I'll consider it my cruise to the mediterranean. See you in Auburn. LouB.
Old 04-22-2011, 04:36 PM   #11
JM 35 Sedan

Here's the answer Ken.........

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0OtFnnmJtSs

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7h9wb...eature=related

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qewjPqeh19Q

"Never give up on what you really want to do. The person with big dreams is more powerful than one with all the facts". Albert Einstein
Old 04-22-2011, 04:38 PM   #12
Frank The Plumber

It costs a lot more than $6 to power a horse to go 16 miles. My great great grandfather was a plumbing contractor in Chicago in 1912. He had a wagon type van and two enormous draft horses, I believe they were Belgians. In 1916 he bought a Ford truck, he told my grandfather that the truck cost him only 10% of the fuel upkeep as compared to the horses. It was $60 as compared to $6 for just feed. Add to that the constant care that these two big animals needed, haying, bedding, shoeing, getting rid of 100 pounds of horse shit per day, wagon maintenance it was brutal. So many guys bought trucks that no one wanted these huge horses, you could not give them away and they would not let you destroy them. He finally sold them to the Army for use as Artillery Haulers for about $25 each in todays money.
He estimated that it took him about an hour a day to keep his truck in top running form, so it would run every day and he could earn a living. His estimate on the horses was 4 hours per day, keep in mind he had a horse shed in a big city 90 years ago, there was no pasture to turn them loose into, and even on a Sunday he would have to go water them, feed them and hook the wagon to them and have them pull for about 3 hours, if you did not work them every day they would get tempermental.
He said his life's greatest gift was not having to hay the horses on a Sunday morning before church. He felt it was a great modern achievement to be able to wake up at 7am instead of 4 am on a Sunday.
Old 04-22-2011, 05:33 PM   #13
B-O-B

Yep when I wuz a youngun my dad bought a 100 acre farm. First we started out with one horse&1cow , then next year we had 2 hay burners. Starting out you did a lot by hand like putting up hay on the wagon(cut down model T)& mowing it back in the hay barn in july & august.Toasty & dusty & sweaty. Days end the cool creek sure was a welcome treat. Most of the equipment was for a team of horses & plowing,disking & cultivating was really a job trying to handle horses & equipment @ the same time. A couple years later he traded the plugs off for a 1936 john deere model B. No hydralics on this putt putt & no electric just a magneto & big flywheel you turned to start it. When that mule coughed it damn near drove you into the ground. Mind you I was only 100 lbs & around 14 years old. We then had to cut all the tongues off(shorten them) to fit the tractor. A couple years later he traded the J D for an allis chalmers Model B with hydralics. Man I thought I had died & gone to heaven. The year 1950 rolls around & he wants to trade the AC for new bullet nose studebaker. I said if you do that I'm leaving home so we kept the AC. I doubt it was on my account tho. Gas back then was around $.25 a gallon.
Those were tough times but I'm thinkin a better way of life. People would help like when thrashing time or butchering time(when in high school two buddies & myself did that for spending money on weekends) or if you were going to build a barn or out building when the word got out everyone would showup. A whole differant world than today that's for sure. I could hunt on most of the farms without even thinkin about trespassing. You would also share what you harvested with the landowner.
ALRIGHT enough of my rambling . Todays fuel prices have put the majority of my cruising trips onthe back burner. WE might do one or two this year but that will probably be it. The 32 roadster has over 65,000 & been all over the country & we certainly have enjoyed it but @ $4.00 a gal it will be parked along with the others. I was starting to collect parts for a 34 roadster but will probably sideline that project. Might just have to get me big red arkansas mule to ride to town. Probably couldn't afford the fuel for that either.
Time to make lemonade & sit under the old oak tree but, we don't have any trees. Guess if I can't run with the big dogs I'll just stay on the porch & drink my lemonade. heh heh he

Last edited by B-O-B; 10-12-2013 at 10:40 AM.
Old 04-22-2011, 04:52 PM   #14
cars56

Motorized scooter sales will soar
$6 is not out of the question
Old 04-22-2011, 05:05 PM   #15
Gumpy

In central America it is not uncommon to see a family of four on a 125cc motorcycle....the small one on the gas tank, dad driving and mom holding on to the little one and for dear life on the rear part of the seat....Its not uncommon for them to have an import 4x4 with four doors because thats all they can afford down there with the gas prices which is about the same as here....they use public transportation and purchase gasoline if they can afford it.....they're just happy to have one vehicle to get around in....a model A would fit in real nice down there!!
Old 04-22-2011, 05:36 PM   #16
B-O-B

Plumber in your tag line if you use the first three in that order you better have the last one. heh heh he
Old 04-22-2011, 06:38 PM   #17
Jeff/Illinois

I'm at least glad that this time around, people have more choices you can go to more hybrids or even all electric cars better than 4 years or so ago........
Old 04-22-2011, 09:51 PM   #18
Barry WNY

"If gas prices go to 6 bucks a gallon".... I won't have a job, and will have a lot of company.
Old 04-23-2011, 10:40 PM   #19
Lawson Cox

Quote:
Originally Posted by B-O-B View Post
Plumber in your tag line if you use the first three in that order you better have the last one. heh heh he
You lost me on that one B-O-B lol
Old 04-23-2011, 11:05 PM   #20
Teich

Whine - pay - drive mabye a little less still better than tv !
Closed Thread