Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 12-01-2019, 11:32 PM   #41
RalphM

Default Re: Do You Carry a Container of Gas in your Trunk?

I drove a 69, and 70 Ford truck for almost 30 years combined. Regular cab, Gas tank behind the seat. Only issue was when you fill it on a hot day make sure you park with the drivers side uphill!
I went to get in several times after not doing so, only to find a waterfall of gas falling right by the drivers door!
RalphM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2019, 01:11 AM   #42
Tinker

In true fordbarn fashion we do what we do. And I do what I do.

Not the best idea to have a boat gas tank as a main source of fuel I guess. But some of us just run around fields and some don't. Probably the same as running a t tank on a 8va in the trunk. Models A had gas tanks in the dash and T's under the driver seat.

If your traveling having a little tank of gas in the truck is fine. Depending on your ride it'd not smell real decent maybe. Get a running board tank if needed. Granted gas stations are everywhere.

Think this would be a obvious thing... or not
Tinker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2019, 01:16 AM   #43
RalphM

Funny story, my wife was traveling from Texas to Alaska the first time, so I told her to get a spare gas can and bring it with her in her truck. Gas stations in Canada were few and far between then. When she arrived I found out She had traveled the entire way with an empty gas can !
RalphM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2019, 01:28 AM   #44
RalphG

Just to add fuel to the fire (pun intended) our common method of getting an old vehicle started and running,, bypassing a rusty dirty fuel tank, was to use a plastic oil jug sitting beside the engine with the gas line from the fuel pump inserted. It worked well for a test drive but I'm sure the "safety police" would have something to criticize on that practice.
RalphG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2019, 03:10 AM   #45
leon bee

Some of those old farm tractors in the winter, the fuel line could freeze up right there by the carb. It always looked interesting when you had to light a couple of those old barn burner big matches and run em all around the gas line.
leon bee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2019, 03:45 AM   #46
Karl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kube View Post
It is apparent that you do not realize it is the FUMES that are far more combustible than the liquid.
Please do not park or drive anywhere near me.
1 cup of vaporised gas explodes with a force of 25 lbs of Dynamite !!
Old 12-02-2019, 03:55 AM   #47
Tinker

boy, I need to remove gas cans for my snowblower eminently out of my garage. It's a time bomb.... I'll chance it... yawn
Tinker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2019, 04:42 AM   #48
tiger.1000

Curiously; my 1973 Ford Mercury Cougar XR7 Convertible has a factory fitted petrol can that sits on top of and is securely fixed to the spare wheel. There is never a smell of petrol fumes as the lid on the can is a good fit.
Quite frankly I can't see what all the fuss is about ???
tiger.1000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2019, 07:59 AM   #49
chap52

I don't carry spare gas. I need to stretch my old back after a few miles anyway and I love to share my car with gas station onlookers. Get lot's of folks asking to take pictures and I have even let kids sit in the drivers seat while a parent snaps a photo.
One of the best parts of owning a old car or truck is sharing the joy... Chap
chap52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2019, 08:07 AM   #50
corvette8n

No can just a Triple A card, funny thing have not needed them for gas, but did get towed a few times.
corvette8n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2019, 09:40 AM   #51
Kube

Quote:
Originally Posted by RalphM View Post
Funny story, my wife was traveling from Texas to Alaska the first time, so I told her to get a spare gas can and bring it with her in her truck. Gas stations in Canada were few and far between then. When she arrived I found out She had traveled the entire way with an empty gas can !
That actually is funny! Thanks for the morning smile
Old 12-02-2019, 10:50 AM   #52
Juergen

Every one I know goes to a gas station with his car and his lawn mower can of gas, fills it up and returns home with it to fill his lawn mower/snow blower etc. Ditto for guys buying gas for their boats instead of buying high priced marina gas. There probably is more danger in driving our old cars in a collision (no air bags etc) so if you play the numbers, don't drive old cars whether you have a gas can in them or not

I use the plastic cans as they can expand/retract with changing temperature while remaining sealed as the tin cans leak fuel/vapors.
Juergen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2019, 10:54 AM   #53
Frank Miller

I have driven 190 miles between gas stations. While my car can easily do this, many can't. Before my time but I remember reading that the way to get the ultimate shine from a lacquer paint job was to wet sand with gasoline instead of water. My uncle even told me of doing it until his skin cracked. I'm sure anyone over 50 has washed greasy parts in gasoline. I bet there were even gas station attendants sucking on a cigarette while filling your tank. In the early years gas was bought and stored in 55 gallon drums and stored in the garage.
I'm all for safety. How many of you carry jackstands with you while traveling in case you need to get under a jacked up car. Or even chock blocks to keep a car from rolling if you need to jack it up to change a spare. I do.
Old 12-02-2019, 11:03 AM   #54
Karl Wescott

A gas can stored in a well sealed trunk is imho a bad idea. A fuel tank in an unventilated trunk is a worse idea. The gas can needs to be vented for pressure relief with temperature changes. The vapors are heaver than air and will settle at the lowest point. One ignition source and "poof" or "BOOM". Even in a garage this can be a problem (US fire code requires furnaces and gas water heater flames to be at least iirc 12 inches above the floor to keep away from any stored fuel fumes).

You might be able to transport gas for a short distance, but be sure to air out the trunk. If you have a 1937-40 and still have a need for a spare gallon, keep it in the tool area at the back with a couple of drain holes under it... the fumes will be contained by the tool well and drain out the holes.

A horror story from my days as a volunteer firefighter. A local rodder takes his nice, freshly finished, fiberglass (not our body) 1932 3 window out for a Sunday cruise. Splashes a little gas while filling the in trunk tank (not good). Comes home and parks the car in the shop overnight (less good). Next morning the car is reeking, so he decides to take the carpet out. Without airing it out (bad idea), while it is still in the shop (worse idea). Static electricity ignites the fumes. BOOM. Minor burns to the owner (LUCKY). We get called in on the second alarm. The butchers bill includes the 3 Window, the 5 stall shop, a tractor, a new special edition 2010 Mustang, one or two other cars, A custom built log house, and a couple acres of grass/forest.
Karl Wescott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2019, 11:35 AM   #55
19Fordy

Gosh Karl, Thanks for posting that. Is static electricity the reason why you should never fill a gas can while it is in the bed of a pickup truck?
19Fordy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2019, 12:08 PM   #56
Darrell S

Quote:
Originally Posted by 19Fordy View Post
Gosh Karl, Thanks for posting that. Is static electricity the reason why you should never fill a gas can while it is in the bed of a pickup truck?
Not with a plastic bed liner.
Darrell S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2019, 12:12 PM   #57
Ford Freak

Quote:

Yes it is . I've heard the horror stories ..........
Ford Freak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2019, 01:35 PM   #58
JimNNN

I'm also part of the "no full gas can in the trunk" school of thought (although it doesn't require much thought to avoid that dangerous practice.) Two of my cars have non-functioning gas gauges, but I keep a fuel log. Non-existent sending units are why my gauges don't work, but I never run out of gas with the log, I just never go more than 100 miles without a refill. You have to be consistent about filling out the log, though.
JimNNN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2019, 01:38 PM   #59
TomT/Williamsburg

Nope and for the reasons posted .....
TomT/Williamsburg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2019, 01:50 PM   #60
Karl Wescott

Quote:

That is part of it. The more important part is when (not if) there is an overfill it is on the ground and less hazard to deal with.

If you are filling a metal container it should be grounded to the fill hose... which should have a conductive ground wire in turn be grounded to the supplier tank. This also goes for filling your car. If you are filling from a plastic container, now you are the conductor to ground and should be grounded to the vehicle.
Karl Wescott is offline   Reply With Quote