Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 07-28-2015, 09:35 PM   #1
hotrodalley

Default LED Taillights and turn signals

OK, I am feeling really stupid. As one of my friends told me, I have totally annihilated my moral compass and decided to install red LED tail lights for safety as there are just too many crazy drivers out there these days.

I purchased the complete 12v setup from Brattons and there are really no installation instructions (see pic). I was hoping to be able to simply run my turn signals from these lights but .......

I removed my signal stat because it looked too clunky, and duplicated an original accessory turn signal switch with a 3 position switch. I have no problem making them work if I want to run a dual filament (1157) bulb, however, the LED's I got seem to be a single filament (1156) socket. I am not sure if there is an easy way to make this work without adding diodes into the circuits to eliminate back feed which makes both taillights light when either run signal is turned on.

Thanks for any advice on the lights, or my moral compass
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0385.JPG (106.4 KB, 62 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0386.JPG (72.2 KB, 58 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0387.JPG (67.9 KB, 68 views)
File Type: jpg 750A5A34-C22A-4663-82A1-85C5197CF829.JPG (97.7 KB, 61 views)
File Type: jpg 6064FE9F-EA2C-4796-9D14-4E267231A85D.JPG (121.0 KB, 57 views)

Last edited by hotrodalley; 07-28-2015 at 11:02 PM.
hotrodalley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2015, 11:04 PM   #2
MikeK

Default Re: LED Taillights and true signals

OK, there's a fix, but it is a compromise. Your old SignalStat had seven wires because it was much more complicated than the single pole double throw switch you now want to use!

You need a trailer tail light adapter. It's basically a relay package that does what the SignalStat did. They only come in 12V and cost about $25.
The green wires from the back of your new tail lamp assemblies go to the "To Trailer" outputs on this device and the black wires from the rear of your new tail assemblies go to your light switch feed.

You can get this one HERE as well as several other places.

MikeK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2015, 02:54 AM   #3
wensum

Default Re: LED Taillights and turn signals

I'm not sure if I've got the problem sussed but I found that the standard direction indicator unit will not work with LED bulbs.
It was suggested that a 6.8ohm resistor would do the trick and I duly purchased one which made no difference.
Then I found a motorcycle flasher unit 6 or 12 volt that operates LEDs and also has a built in buzzer.
This appears to be the answer to all my problems but has yet to arrive so I can't guarantee that it works.
Check out: "LED Flasher Relay Beeper Motorcycle Bike Turn Signal Blinker" on EBay
Keith

wensum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2015, 07:25 AM   #4
Patrick L.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wensum View Post
I'm not sure if I've got the problem sussed but I found that the standard direction indicator unit will not work with LED bulbs.
It was suggested that a 6.8ohm resistor would do the trick and I duly purchased one which made no difference.
Then I found a motorcycle flasher unit 6 or 12 volt that operates LEDs and also has a built in buzzer.
This appears to be the answer to all my problems but has yet to arrive so I can't guarantee that it works.
Check out: "LED Flasher Relay Beeper Motorcycle Bike Turn Signal Blinker" on EBay
Keith

Just install higher wattage or candle power bulbs in the fronts [or cowls] and your thermal flasher will work.
Patrick L. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2015, 02:13 PM   #5
J Witt

I used a 25 watt 6.2 ohm resistor in series with each turn signal wire pair (pair = one front and one back LED) These were tie wrapped to a small aluminum plate and tucked into the left side kick panel.

The resistors came from the local auto supply. The auto parts stores are carrying the resistors these days because of the craze for switching car turn/brake lights over to LEDs.

John
Old 07-29-2015, 05:27 PM   #6
Jwilli

I put LED on the rear and regular bulbs on the front. 6 volt system on my 30 Murray fordor. Works great has never had a problem.
Jwilli is offline   Reply With Quote