Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 08-25-2019, 01:38 PM   #41
Pete

Default Re: Help: Reverse eye leaf spring problem 34 Ford

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian View Post
Looks to me as though they have cut the ends off and welded new ends on. Looks like a weld just inboard of the eyes in all your photos. Totally wrong!!
BINGO! Give that man a seegar.

They cut the ends off and turned them over. You can PLAINLY see the welds.
Total idiots. You can bet a weeks pay check that spring will break right next to the weld.
Pete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2019, 08:22 PM   #42
Bored&Stroked

Pete is 100% correct - you can see the welds . . . plain as day. I would NOT be running those springs and I'd be asking for a refund and new main leaves. The clearly had no idea as to the procedure to use - went about it completely wrong.
Bored&Stroked is online now   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)
Old 08-25-2019, 08:30 PM   #43
Tinker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy View Post
I installed the springs by putting the car on stands and jacking the ends of the springs up intil I could install the other shackle. Start with one shackle installed and held level. You are not lifting the whole weight of the car as the shackles are level. The spring is bolted down so it can't go anywhere.

A couple bottle jacks do work to install a regular spring or reverse on the front. Engine weight helps.

On the rear you can lift the car or in my case a truck off the jack stands as there is not a lot of weight to counteract a good spring. I used a reverse eye and 1" drop shackles on the rear of my truck.

Lots of tension there. Just be safe.

Tinker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2019, 10:36 PM   #44
thequietwon

Most stock springs I've pulled apart have a similar line...its wear from the 2nd spring working against the main leaf. The ends of the each spring digs into the one below if they aren't kept lubed, and they never seem to be. The wear line is now on the bottom since it was bent & re-versed instead of having eye re-rolled. Can you show.a picture of the other side, showing the spring eye? That will tell us right away if the line is evident on that side to.
thequietwon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2019, 07:56 AM   #45
Bored&Stroked

Quote:
Originally Posted by thequietwon View Post
Most stock springs I've pulled apart have a similar line...its wear from the 2nd spring working against the main leaf. The ends of the each spring digs into the one below if they aren't kept lubed, and they never seem to be. The wear line is now on the bottom since it was bent & re-versed instead of having eye re-rolled. Can you show.a picture of the other side, showing the spring eye? That will tell us right away if the line is evident on that side to.
Good point and a smart thing to do. If they are truly cut/weld areas, should be able to decipher them on both sides. So I think I'll pass on my opinion until we see the other side. Hell - trying to diagnose issues like this from pictures - we should all be Doctors! LOL

I did go back and look again - still looks like a weld to me . . . seems very close to the end of the spring - don't believe my 2nd leaves extend that far. I will have to go look at a 32-34 rear spring today in the shop . . . will post pictures
Bored&Stroked is online now   Reply With Quote