Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-11-2019, 02:33 PM   #1
Pigpen
Junior Member
 
Pigpen's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2019
Location: Holland, Mi
Posts: 12
Default DEAD: 1948 Super Deluxe 8 Sedan

My first post here on the Ford Barn, so I apologize if it's a little long winded...

*my background* I have older Fords cars/trucks from 60's-90's. I'd classify them as good summertime drivers, decent, but nothing show quality. I wanted to get something I would consider nice to everyone that would see it... something that the wife and I could take our parents/or friends out in, for a cruise or out to dinner for the night. Mustang GT's or old Ford trucks weren't cutting it, so I was on the look out for something (Ford of course) full size, classic and not modified, but plain old factory stock. I was looking for a nice 60's-70's Lincoln Continental, or a full size Ford from early 70's and older. I came across a 1948 Ford Super Deluxe 8, 2-door sedan that was exactly what I was looking for. Went and inspected it, and was very happy with what I seen (no rust anywhere, no leaks and good paint, tires, brakes) We negotiated down to my price range, and I bought it, and took it home. It runs great (59ab flathead) and it drives just as good as it look. Only there is a few hang ups to work out...

When you would start it, it starts right up and runs great, but after it warms up (operating temperature * 10 minutes) if you shut it off, it will no longer start/run for about an hour. It just turns over, and won't fire. Let it sit for an hour, and it fires right up and again runs great. It was like that all summer. Now this fall, I was going to pull it out of the barn so I could jockey around cars for winter storage, and it would not start at all. It turns over fine, but just would not attempt to run what so ever.

Last edited by Pigpen; 02-11-2019 at 04:26 PM.
Pigpen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2019, 02:43 PM   #2
FortyNiner
Senior Member
 
FortyNiner's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: u-rah-rah-Wisconsin
Posts: 678
Default Re: DEAD: 1948 Super Deluxe 8 Sedan

Have the coil or condenser been replaced recently?
__________________
19 and 49 F1 - jes' like Henry II built
1946 Deluxe - as Henry built it
FortyNiner is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)
Old 02-11-2019, 04:00 PM   #3
Pigpen
Junior Member
 
Pigpen's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2019
Location: Holland, Mi
Posts: 12
Default Re: DEAD: 1948 Super Deluxe 8 Sedan

Quote:
Originally Posted by FortyNiner View Post
Have the coil or condenser been replaced recently?
I know the previous owner just put a new coil on it, right before I bought it. As for a condenser, that I don't know.
Pigpen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2019, 04:04 PM   #4
50fordcoupeman
Senior Member
 
50fordcoupeman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2016
Location: LaGrande Oregon
Posts: 492
Default Re: DEAD: 1948 Super Deluxe 8 Sedan

My avatar although not stock had the same problem when I got it. Turned out the coil was bad.
50fordcoupeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2019, 04:07 PM   #5
50fordcoupeman
Senior Member
 
50fordcoupeman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2016
Location: LaGrande Oregon
Posts: 492
Default Re: DEAD: 1948 Super Deluxe 8 Sedan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pigpen View Post
I know the previous owner just put a new coil on it, right before I bought it. As for a condenser, that I don't know.
I have had new coils that were no good. I went thru 4 NAPA coils a couple of years ago very frustrating!!
50fordcoupeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2019, 04:52 PM   #6
petehoovie
Senior Member
 
petehoovie's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2015
Posts: 2,094
Default Re: DEAD: 1948 Super Deluxe 8 Sedan

First, replace the condenser to see if that resolves your starting problem. If that doesn't work, replace the coil with a known working coil. If that doesn't work, at least you'll have a spare coil and condenser that can be used in the future, If there is a EFV8 Club Regional Group near you, join it....
__________________
The only thing nice about being imperfect is the joy it brings to others....

"Silver rings, your butt! Them's washers! Damn!"
"We shot our way out of that town for a dollar's worth of steel holes." - from 'The Wild Bunch' - 1969
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7NReUd2_0u0

petehoovie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2019, 04:58 PM   #7
flatford8
Senior Member
 
flatford8's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Lyman,ME.
Posts: 1,342
Default Re: DEAD: 1948 Super Deluxe 8 Sedan

Is it getting fuel? Crank it over a couple times, then look in the carb and move the throttle and see if there’s fuel squirting in. Check for spark at the plugs. Report back with whatever one you don’t have......Mark
__________________
I'm thinkin' about crankin'
My ragged ol' truck up
and haulin' myself into town.
Billy Joe Shaver
flatford8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2019, 05:21 PM   #8
JSeery
Senior Member
 
JSeery's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: Wichita KS
Posts: 12,930
Default Re: DEAD: 1948 Super Deluxe 8 Sedan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pigpen View Post
When you would start it, it starts right up and runs great, but after it warms up (operating temperature * 10 minutes) if you shut it off, it will no longer start/run for about an hour. It just turns over, and won't fire. Let it sit for an hour, and it fires right up and again runs great. It was like that all summer. Now this fall, I was going to pull it out of the barn so I could jockey around cars for winter storage, and it would not start at all. It turns over fine, but just would not attempt to run what so ever.
That sounds like typical coil or condenser issue. Is the car still 6v? If so is the battery positive post connected to ground and the negative post connected to the starter solenoid (that is the correct setup)? Is the coil (+) terminal connected to the distributor post to the condenser and the (-) terminal connected to the ignition switch? Are you sure it is the correct coil for a 6v Ford (~1.5 ohms)?
JSeery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2019, 05:49 PM   #9
Pigpen
Junior Member
 
Pigpen's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2019
Location: Holland, Mi
Posts: 12
Default Re: DEAD: 1948 Super Deluxe 8 Sedan

Quote:
Originally Posted by flatford8 View Post
Is it getting fuel? Crank it over a couple times, then look in the carb and move the throttle and see if there’s fuel squirting in. Check for spark at the plugs. Report back with whatever one you don’t have......Mark
During some of the "hot no start" condition, i did dump some fuel down the carb, and another time tried a squirt or two of Ether, and it didn't make a difference. So I'd assume it's and electrical/ignition problem when warmed up?
Pigpen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2019, 05:52 PM   #10
Pigpen
Junior Member
 
Pigpen's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2019
Location: Holland, Mi
Posts: 12
Default Re: DEAD: 1948 Super Deluxe 8 Sedan

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSeery View Post
That sounds like typical coil or condenser issue. Is the car still 6v? If so is the battery positive post connected to ground and the negative post connected to the starter solenoid (that is the correct setup)? Is the coil (+) terminal connected to the distributor post to the condenser and the (-) terminal connected to the ignition switch? Are you sure it is the correct coil for a 6v Ford (~1.5 ohms)?
Brand new 6- volt battery, and car is positive/ground
Pigpen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2019, 06:41 PM   #11
Mike in AZ
Senior Member
 
Mike in AZ's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Waddell, AZ
Posts: 2,533
Default Re: DEAD: 1948 Super Deluxe 8 Sedan

Welcome to the ‘Barn. And the fun with flatheads. Replace things one at a time following advice give here and hopefully you’ll be up and running, havin fun again. Mike
Mike in AZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2019, 06:42 PM   #12
flatford8
Senior Member
 
flatford8's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Lyman,ME.
Posts: 1,342
Default Re: DEAD: 1948 Super Deluxe 8 Sedan

I think you’re on the right track with it being an electrical issue.....have you checked all the suggestions in post #8 ?........Mark
__________________
I'm thinkin' about crankin'
My ragged ol' truck up
and haulin' myself into town.
Billy Joe Shaver
flatford8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2019, 07:16 PM   #13
37 Cab
Senior Member
 
37 Cab's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2014
Location: Miami Oklahoma
Posts: 416
Default Re: DEAD: 1948 Super Deluxe 8 Sedan

Is the cranking speed slow when warm? I went through that, and it was a resistance issue. If it is cranking slow you may not be getting sufficient voltage to the coil while cranking. Mine was an issue with the cable to the starter but grounding issues are more common. My point is, if it is cranking slow you are using too much voltage cranking to supply enough voltage to power the coil.
__________________
Tommy
37 Cab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2019, 07:41 PM   #14
slowforty
Senior Member
 
slowforty's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Tinley Park Ill
Posts: 650
Default Re: DEAD: 1948 Super Deluxe 8 Sedan

Another please tell us your location request.
slowforty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2019, 07:43 PM   #15
Pigpen
Junior Member
 
Pigpen's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2019
Location: Holland, Mi
Posts: 12
Default Re: DEAD: 1948 Super Deluxe 8 Sedan

Quote:
Originally Posted by flatford8 View Post
I think you’re on the right track with it being an electrical issue.....have you checked all the suggestions in post #8 ?........Mark
I have not, as its 15° out in the barn currently. I want to get a game plan going, for once the weather breaks
Pigpen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2019, 07:45 PM   #16
Pigpen
Junior Member
 
Pigpen's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2019
Location: Holland, Mi
Posts: 12
Default Re: DEAD: 1948 Super Deluxe 8 Sedan

Quote:
Originally Posted by slowforty View Post
Another please tell us your location request.
Holland Michigan, three miles from the lake shore.

(Ill update my profile)
Pigpen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2019, 07:51 PM   #17
Pigpen
Junior Member
 
Pigpen's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2019
Location: Holland, Mi
Posts: 12
Default Re: DEAD: 1948 Super Deluxe 8 Sedan

Quote:
Originally Posted by 37 Cab View Post
Is the cranking speed slow when warm? I went through that, and it was a resistance issue. If it is cranking slow you may not be getting sufficient voltage to the coil while cranking. Mine was an issue with the cable to the starter but grounding issues are more common. My point is, if it is cranking slow you are using too much voltage cranking to supply enough voltage to power the coil.
To me it turns over at the same rate if it is cold or warm. I did removed the starter and cleaned where it mounts, cleaned the starter surface mounts and made sure all the battery cables were nice and shiny on all ends, along with where they mount, to make sure everything was/is getting a good connection for voltage resistance.
Pigpen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2019, 07:53 PM   #18
Pigpen
Junior Member
 
Pigpen's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2019
Location: Holland, Mi
Posts: 12
Default Re: DEAD: 1948 Super Deluxe 8 Sedan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike in AZ View Post
Welcome to the ‘Barn. And the fun with flatheads. Replace things one at a time following advice give here and hopefully you’ll be up and running, havin fun again. Mike
Thank you for the welcome, and the advice from all others so far, it is much appreciated
Pigpen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2019, 07:57 PM   #19
flatford8
Senior Member
 
flatford8's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Lyman,ME.
Posts: 1,342
Default Re: DEAD: 1948 Super Deluxe 8 Sedan

It’s cold out in my barn too!!!!......so I stay in the house on this “Barn”.......you’ll love it this spring when your driving it!!!....Mark
__________________
I'm thinkin' about crankin'
My ragged ol' truck up
and haulin' myself into town.
Billy Joe Shaver
flatford8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2019, 08:15 PM   #20
TJ
Senior Member
 
TJ's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Napa,California
Posts: 3,988
Default Re: DEAD: 1948 Super Deluxe 8 Sedan

Are you sure you have the right size battery cables? 6 volt uses the larger cables and many times they are replaced by the smaller 12 volt cables. Smaller cables = resistance.
TJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 02:40 AM.