Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-23-2013, 04:18 PM   #1
Weaponsusmc
Junior Member
 
Weaponsusmc's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Findlay Ohio
Posts: 24
Default Fun Model A build date.

Although I know they start the model year way before the date of the car, checking the numbers on my beauty I found my car was built Jan 2, 1930, the first day of the new year the cars were made.
Weaponsusmc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2013, 05:00 PM   #2
Steve Plucker
Senior Member
 
Steve Plucker's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Walla Walla, Washington USA
Posts: 5,450
Default Re: Fun Model A build date.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weaponsusmc View Post
Although I know they start the model year way before the date of the car, checking the numbers on my beauty I found my car was built Jan 2, 1930, the first day of the new year the cars were made.
This really excites me...

Please explain to us just how you determined that it was January 2, 1930 as the date your car was built?

Just what information do you have to support your thought?

Thanks.

Pluck
__________________
www.plucks329s.org

Walla Walla (WA) Sweet A's since 1993

MARC/MAFCA member since 1978

Ford Model AA Truck Club since 1998

(LIONEL/MTH Toy Train Collector, Orange Crush Soda Collector, Steel Beer Can Collector, Old Gas Pump Collector)

Last edited by Steve Plucker; 02-23-2013 at 05:20 PM.
Steve Plucker is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)
Old 02-23-2013, 05:15 PM   #3
Chuck Sea/Tac
Senior Member
 
Chuck Sea/Tac's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Between Seattle & Tacoma
Posts: 1,758
Default Re: Fun Model A build date.

I will be corrected if wrong, however, I don't believe model A's (probably like most cars of the era) had set dates the new year model started.
Chuck
Chuck Sea/Tac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2013, 05:33 PM   #4
Weaponsusmc
Junior Member
 
Weaponsusmc's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Findlay Ohio
Posts: 24
Default Re: Fun Model A build date.

I actually got the information from your site Steve. But I was a little off on information. According to your site, my engine was built on Jan 2, 1930 and not my automobile. http://www.plucks329s.org/studies/st...tudies_ep.html

Great information and great site, I hope it is ok for me to post that link, if not I will remove it.
Weaponsusmc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2013, 05:38 PM   #5
Steve Plucker
Senior Member
 
Steve Plucker's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Walla Walla, Washington USA
Posts: 5,450
Default Re: Fun Model A build date.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuck Sea/Tac View Post
I will be corrected if wrong, however, I don't believe model A's (probably like most cars of the era) had set dates the new year model started.
Chuck
I do not know if anyone has ever determined this but just when did the 1928 become a 1929?

Was it when the new clutch system came into effect in October 1928 or was it when the single light system changed to the twolight system in February 1929?

What features determined the change between a 1930 and a 1931?

Pluck
__________________
www.plucks329s.org

Walla Walla (WA) Sweet A's since 1993

MARC/MAFCA member since 1978

Ford Model AA Truck Club since 1998

(LIONEL/MTH Toy Train Collector, Orange Crush Soda Collector, Steel Beer Can Collector, Old Gas Pump Collector)
Steve Plucker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2013, 05:42 PM   #6
Steve Plucker
Senior Member
 
Steve Plucker's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Walla Walla, Washington USA
Posts: 5,450
Default Re: Fun Model A build date.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weaponsusmc View Post
I actually got the information from your site Steve. But I was a little off on information. According to your site, my engine was built on Jan 2, 1930 and not my automobile. http://www.plucks329s.org/studies/st...tudies_ep.html

Great information and great site, I hope it is ok for me to post that link, if not I will remove it.
OK...so the engine is a January 2, 1930 engine, and suposedly it matches the frame number (I do not know this and is it the original engine to the car?) but lets say it does...what then is the Assembly Plant Codes on the body?

If you do not know where to look, go to my website and go to Additional Studies...then to Letters, Numbers and Codes to determine that information...hopefully it will be there on your body.

Pluck
__________________
www.plucks329s.org

Walla Walla (WA) Sweet A's since 1993

MARC/MAFCA member since 1978

Ford Model AA Truck Club since 1998

(LIONEL/MTH Toy Train Collector, Orange Crush Soda Collector, Steel Beer Can Collector, Old Gas Pump Collector)
Steve Plucker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2013, 09:18 PM   #7
John Duden
Senior Member
 
John Duden's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Posts: 1,837
Default Re: Fun Model A build date.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Plucker View Post
I do not know if anyone has ever determined this but just when did the 1928 become a 1929?

Was it when the new clutch system came into effect in October 1928 or was it when the single light system changed to the twolight system in February 1929?

What features determined the change between a 1930 and a 1931?

Pluck
December 31 1928-January 1 1929
John Duden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2013, 09:51 PM   #8
WTSHNN
Senior Member
 
WTSHNN's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Chicago
Posts: 1,148
Default Re: Fun Model A build date.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Plucker View Post
I do not know if anyone has ever determined this but just when did the 1928 become a 1929?

Pluck
Is there any historical proof that Ford even referred to their vehicles by production year at that time? Was there ever a release of the "New for '30" or "Come see the exciting new 1929 models?"

Maybe an ad collector could shine some info on that...
-Tim
WTSHNN is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 02:01 AM.