Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 02-11-2013, 11:00 AM   #21
Patrick L.

Default Re: They say the only stupid question is the one unasked, so here it goes

From the frozen wasteland of liberal loonies. end quote..

Gee, you too !? It seems to be a very contagious disease thats spreading rapidly !
Patrick L. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2013, 12:22 PM   #22
Weaponsusmc

Default Re: They say the only stupid question is the one unasked, so here it goes

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marco Tahtaras View Post
Every Model A I've heard of being stolen over the last 25 years was in or on a trailer and the trailer was stolen. In present times the only folks that could steel a Model A are those that own or have owned one in recent decades. Nobody else can even get one started!
You've got that right, I don't think many would know how to start it. I like my 56' Chevy for the fact I don't worry about anyone stealing or adding anything to my gas.

Thanks for all the advice, this is a great site.
Weaponsusmc is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)
Old 02-11-2013, 12:27 PM   #23
Jazzjr

The addition of Safety Cut Out Switch is a Cheap Insurance Policy for Me. for $25. When I am done using my car, all Electrical Power is disconnected, to all circuits. If the case should arise while in operation something should start Smoking, I can Immediately turn off the Switch.

I also have everything fused throughout the car. Most Model A's Horn Power is from the Cutout, could burn out the Cut Out, Generator, complete Loss of Power to whole car if the Horn Shorts out. Mine only blows a Fuse, I can still drive it home to Repair it. With a Fuse Box, it makes Trouble Shooting easier, knowing what electrical circuit has trouble.

Ever hear on the News, a car sitting in a garage has a Electrical Fire, something burnt up. Loss of Car, Garage and Maybe Home. Yes todays cars have been improved with Fuses, Circuit Breakers, and etc, but it still Happens.

So why Not Install a Safety Cut Off Switch in your Model A. to Protect Your Investment, and Pleasure Car, if something should happened and you loose it for a mere $25, you can kick your own self in the A..
Jazzjr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2013, 01:31 PM   #24
BillLee/Chandler, TX

I won't tell you about the cut-out switch on my A with the alternator and 12v neg. ground or the halogens or the turn signals or the seatbelts or .... horrors!... the hydraulic brakes because this is a "restoration only" site. The fact that (other than the seatbelts and the cut-out) that is the way the car was when I bought it is immaterial.

And don't get me wrong: I LOVE to hear about the fine-point restorations since it gives me something to aspire to. But I play with the hand I am dealt, and a "true" restoration is not in the cards for THIS car nor for THIS old man. So: when somebody violates the forum rules and asks about some of those items where I DO have some expertise, I try to answer as clearly as I can.

I consider Brent and Marco and many others to be treasures to cherish. I also hold others that can help me with my non-fine-point efforts equally highly.

Regards,

Bill Lee
Old 02-11-2013, 02:12 PM   #25
H. L. Chauvin

Humble Opinion:

Our more cautious informed vintage car insurance companies today are not requiring our vintage cars to be stored in "locked" garages to prevent neighborhood deer & racoons from eating the LeBaron interiors.

I think our young car thieves today are getting far more mechanically & electronically technically informed because of their continuous prisoner recyling & their continuing prison education -- all at our cost.

These young, modern day car thieves are no longer of the chicken stealing & wheel barrow pushing type of 25 years ago -- they don't want chickens.

We continue to maintain open drug borders; & our car thieves today "need" their "fix"; just an endless, careless most costly "dumb" cycle draining our economy.

Never was concerned about defective wiring when I wired it; however "time" required to search for an additional "keyed" switch for a needed drug "fix" definitely appears to be an additional deterrent when they are looking for a quick job!
H. L. Chauvin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2013, 02:11 PM   #26
Allanw

We have fitted a battery switch - means there is no chance of one of the kids pushing the starter button while the car is in gear and casuising PROBLEMS. In a modern car, they can't do that without keys.
"Duct Tape can't fix stupid, but it can MUFFLE the sound"
Allanw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2013, 02:27 PM   #27
MrTube

Quote:
Originally Posted by Allanw View Post
We have fitted a battery switch - means there is no chance of one of the kids pushing the starter button while the car is in gear and casuising PROBLEMS. In a modern car, they can't do that without keys.

Back when I was a kid there was no chance either as I knew what would follow me messing with my dads car in any way.
MrTube is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013, 02:51 AM   #28
Rock Hornbuckle

H.L. I couldn't have said it any better!

An old 'Nam Marine
Rock Hornbuckle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013, 03:24 AM   #29
BILL WILLIAMSON

Great common sense discussions, gentlemen! KUDOS to you all! Wonder why Ol' Henry, with all his wisdom/Edison's wisdom, didn't bother with at least put a fuse on the main supply wire at the starter?? Surely fuses had been invented by then??? Bill W.