Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 11-01-2020, 11:20 AM   #1
Krylon32

Default Ad Scams

Seems like I'm always looking for something on the barn. Am I the only one or do others get responses on here telling you that someone has the parts your looking for. The res ponder always seems to have zero posts so I assume it's a scam?
Krylon32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2020, 11:23 AM   #2
19Fordy

Default Re: Ad Scams

The true test would be if a seller would be willing to send you the part FIRST and then YOU would pay for it. Right now, buyers have to pay up front hoping the seller is honest.

Follow your "gut feeling".
19Fordy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2020, 12:09 PM   #3
51504bat

Zero posts, joined the day of the contact, refers you to email someone who has what you're looking for, Western Union MO only for payment. All sure signs of a scam. What I do is find out where the parts are and tell them I have an old Army buddy who lives in the next town over and he'll be glad to stop buy and check out the part and pay for it in cash. When I tell them this it usually is the last I hear from them or I get some BS that it is in storage and its not available to be seen in person. There may be other red flags as well that I'm sure others will post about. One last thing, if you do get a contact from a scammer here on the Barn make sure you report the scammer to the mods so they can ban the scammer to insure another Barner doesn't get taken.

Last edited by 51504bat; 11-01-2020 at 12:14 PM. Reason: additional inf
51504bat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2020, 12:17 PM   #4
GaryU.

Got two replies yesterday to a wanted ad. Both just joined and no posts and I'm supposed to email back. SCAM !!
GaryU. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2020, 06:32 PM   #5
51504bat

Make sure you report them to the mods.
Old 11-01-2020, 06:53 PM   #6
JWL
Member Emeritus

I understand. The scammers have a VERY anxious audience in our old car field and, they know it. We can spend years looking for a specific original part and we become extremely excited to find it. Plus, we are usually willing to pay more than a normal price to get that part. We are ripe for the scammer to rip-off and can easily get screwed.

Thanks to those of you who alert us to such scams and give us clues and instructions for averting a disastrous transactions.
JWL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2020, 07:00 PM   #7
warhorseracing

First time poster, only send money a unheard of way, recently joined. Report them and let the boss deal with them. AFAIK they can only ban them from the site but they can return under a different name if they think they can steal some money. No better than a thief that breaks into your garage or home to steal what they can most likely for drugs.
warhorseracing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2020, 07:05 PM   #8
Brian

I reported one last week, and Ryan was onto it immediately! Well done.
Old 11-02-2020, 01:25 PM   #9
38 Conv

Do not deal with these people on parts here is the Emails--will send you pictures of what you want -- get your money thru Pay-Pal never send parts--

[email protected]

[email protected]
38 Conv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2020, 10:03 AM   #10
Fred A

This site somehow helps the scammer by not allowing comments on the offer. Some parts can be offered with an unlikely description and which in an open forum would be questioned, buttttttt it can not be done on fordbarn short of reporting a fraud. Bringing the question to the forum often brings a howl that the seller is a good old boy and why pick on him? Good luck with that! Fred A
Fred A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2020, 10:49 AM   #11
TJ

Recently got an e-mail from [email protected]. Asked if I still had "parts" for sale and the price. He also asked for photos of the "parts". Due to the language and the fact I had listed specific parts with prices it appeared this guy was fishing and wanted my photos to use in a scam ad or answering others want ads. This is one reason I don't post photos with my ads as they can be stolen off the site and used to scam others.
TJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2020, 11:07 PM   #12
Paul Bennett

Well, as a fellow human I early on I learned to IGNORE. I haven't been sought out as a target because I am not a target.

Yes I have wasted small fortunes when I let my emotions get the best of me and ignored that little inner voice saying "uh uh, walk away". It's on me when I say, "Here's my wallet, take what you want".

Perhaps I've got a mean smile which wards away the professional scammers. They do stay clear.
Paul Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2020, 11:21 PM   #13
rbone

I have been wondering about what Fred A posted about earlier. What's the reason for not allowing posts with questions about items for sale? Just curious.
rbone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2020, 04:02 AM   #14
V8COOPMAN

Quote:
Originally Posted by rbone View Post
I have been wondering about what Fred A posted about earlier. What's the reason for not allowing posts with questions about items for sale? Just curious.
For several years now, it has become mandatory to contact the seller via PM (Private Message). Not a whole lot to ask in return for a free, COMPLIMENTARY service from The Boss! DD

'35-'36 W/8BA & MECHANICAL FAN

T5 W/TORQUE TUBE
V8COOPMAN is offline   Reply With Quote