Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 11-08-2020, 11:16 AM   #1
Robert/Texas

Default Wind Wings

Yesterday while driving our ’28 roadster one of the wind wings fell off. We found it this morning and it was undamaged.

I have a some old original and repro wind wing parts which I bought some years ago. Among this stuff there is a strip of glass tape. How this used or is there a better way to stick the rubber pads to the glass?

Thanks in advance, Robert
Robert/Texas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2020, 12:23 PM   #2
jb-ob

Default Re: Wind Wings

Skip the repo rubbers, fix it once using 3M automotive two face tape, available from auto body supplies.
jb-ob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2020, 02:47 PM   #3
SteveR.

Is this the right stuff? Mine are loose as well.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07K4SFP4D...ing=UTF8&psc=1
SteveR. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2020, 03:34 PM   #4
Robert/Texas

I just ordered “3M 5952 VHB” tape from Amazon for $16.99. It's 3/4" wide and my old rubber pieces are the same width and trimmed to fit. I'd be a bit concerned with the 1/2" tape because in my case two of the clamps have hollowed out surfaces and would leave little contact with the tape.
Thanks jb and good luck Steve.
Robert
Old 11-08-2020, 04:31 PM   #5
redmodelt

It should help grip around the areas that do hold the glass and keep from slipping off.
Old 11-08-2020, 05:09 PM   #6
jb-ob

Robert,

If it were me and worried about the void in the clamps, I'd fill them level with JB Weld (no relation).

The wind wings I used this tape on are still in place after 15 years.

At 72 I don't offer much in warrantees, but I believe you'll be satisfied.
Old 11-09-2020, 10:40 AM   #7
Robert/Texas

Thanks red & jb

I'll fill the two clamp surfaces with JB Weld. I'm 86 and don't offer any warrantees.

Thanks again, Robert
Old 11-10-2020, 08:42 AM   #8
BRENT in 10-uh-C

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert/Texas View Post
Thanks red & jb

I'll fill the two clamp surfaces with JB Weld. I'm 86 and don't offer any warrantees.

Thanks again, Robert

Why not just install the correct type clamps & rubber pieces, and modify the Vintique Wing Bracket?

All you need is a set of Pads; (https://www.snydersantiqueauto.com/P...earchByKeyword)

-and a set of properly made Clamps; (https://www.snydersantiqueauto.com/P...earchByKeyword).

Below I have included a picture of how to modify the 28/29 Bracket (grind a groove to accept the smaller bulged area of the rubber pad), and a picture of part of the factory blueprint that gives dimensions if you want to modify the repro bracket to the factory dimensions.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_3135.jpg (26.3 KB, 71 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_2541.jpg (78.1 KB, 71 views)

BRENT in 10-uh-C
www.model-a-ford.com
...(...Finally Updated!! )

BRENT in 10-uh-C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2020, 09:13 AM   #9
jb-ob

Because Brent, I believe the man said they didn't hold in place and was looking for solution.
Old 11-10-2020, 02:37 PM   #10
BRENT in 10-uh-C

Quote:
Originally Posted by jb-ob View Post
Because Brent, I believe the man said they didn't hold in place and was looking for solution.
Mr. Brand, pretty sure I gave him the solution of how to successfully modify his reproduction Wind Wing brackets using two small items that are aesthetically authentic looking, ...and they function 100% as intended. Henry was 65 when Robert's roadster was manufactured, and with folks back then utilizing his design, he had no problem offering a warranty. Utilize his design today, and there won't be any warranty claims.

BRENT in 10-uh-C
www.model-a-ford.com

Old 11-13-2020, 10:26 AM   #11
Robert/Texas

Brent

I don’t think that my brackets are the Vintique brand but might be older repros. I bought the car in the late 1980’s and it still has the brackets that were on it when I bought it. I have a set of Vintique brackets which I bought at a swap meet some years/decades ago. The Vintique brackets are shiny chrome and use metric threads. The old brackets have more of a brushed chrome look and have SAE threads. These old brackets seem to have more of a quality look and feel to me and the car has the look of a well aged 1960’s restoration so I feel they would look better on the car. The vendor pads fit perfectly to these bracket without mods.

I think I’ll wait until I can get some help to install the wings. My son-in-law usually helps me but deer season is on and he is an avid hunter so it will probably take a while.

Thanks, Robert
Old 11-13-2020, 12:30 PM   #12
BRENT in 10-uh-C

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert/Texas View Post
Brent

I don’t think that my brackets are the Vintique brand but might be older repros. I bought the car in the late 1980’s and it still has the brackets that were on it when I bought it. I have a set of Vintique brackets which I bought at a swap meet some years/decades ago. The Vintique brackets are shiny chrome and use metric threads. The old brackets have more of a brushed chrome look and have SAE threads. These old brackets seem to have more of a quality look and feel to me and the car has the look of a well aged 1960’s restoration so I feel they would look better on the car. The vendor pads fit perfectly to these bracket without mods.

I think I’ll wait until I can get some help to install the wings. My son-in-law usually helps me but deer season is on and he is an avid hunter so it will probably take a while.

Thanks, Robert

Then if that is the case, ...and if it has the proper clamps on it, then there is not reason for them to fall off unless the clamp was not tightened properly.

BRENT in 10-uh-C
www.model-a-ford.com

Old 11-13-2020, 01:07 PM   #13
Robert/Texas

Brent

The wind wings have been on the car for the 32 years that I have owned it and who knows how much longer than that. I've tightened the screws at times though. I think that the pads have dry rotted and that is the problem. I plan to re do both sides now.

Robert
Old 11-14-2020, 04:05 PM   #14
Robert/Texas

I got lucky today. My son-in-law stopped by on his way home from his deer lease. He is the head mechanic at one of the CarMax dealers in the Houston area and I really trust his instincts.

We stuck strips of the 3M tape to the rear clamp surfaces and trimmed them. Note the surfaces on the rear clamps are flat without dimples. Next, we superglued dimpled rubber pads to the front clamp surfaces and did a trial fitting, adjusting the tiny adjusting wheels to get the clamps parallel. He told me that there was no way that the glass would come loose so we removed the tape coating and screwed the clamps with a little thread-lock tightly together, enough to compress the rubber pads.

Thanks again for everyone’s suggestions and hope that this might help others.

Robert
Old 11-15-2020, 12:11 PM   #15
Jerry in Shasta

Gorilla Glue makes a double stickie tape, just hope I never have to take it off. Been holding my wings for a long time
JB