Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 05-06-2013, 09:13 AM   #1
Hudsn47

Default 29 Tudor start up video

I've already recieved some help here but wanted wanted to introduce myself and share this video of my friends 1929 Tudor startup after it sat for 26 (or more) years. This was taken over a year ago and now it's up and running pretty good, doesnt smoke and has new tires. He was in the process of finishing a restoration when he got distracted by life events and it sat for many years and much of it outside in the weather. I had never worked on a Model A before so was quite a learning curve. I rebuilt the water pump and distributor but later found out the distributor was cracked at the block so explained the wobble. New fan belt. I soaked the carb in vinegar and made gaskets, it was full of mud dobbers. Also we drained about a half gallon of clear water from the crankcase from condensation. It had a stuck valve on number one which we got through the plug hole. We fixed the manifold exhaust leak. We put tranny fluid in the cylinders for lubrication and once that burnt off no more smoking. There's still alot to do with the body and interior but at least its a running car and he can once again get out and enjoy it. I was glad I had the presence to get a cell phone video just in case it started. Hope it is viewable. As you can see we were quit thrilled when it fired. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ux4nYXvOTTQ Hope you enjoy. Doug in Madison, AL
Hudsn47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2013, 07:35 PM   #2
Willie Krash

Default Re: 29 Tudor start up video

I did enjoy it. I could smell the smoke and gasoline.
Willie Krash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2013, 07:37 AM   #3
Hudsn47

Yes, there was plenty of smoke! I had put hydraulic oil in the cylinders a couple months before the strartup and that stuff lingered was perfect for the startup. I like to see lots of smoke on startups. I was a little alarmed at the gas coming out the carb but now know its normal to get a little when applying the choke. i had no idea what the starting procedures were on a Model A at this time. Dont think I had even heard one run in person. Now we are driving and enjoying the car and getting ready for a big trip in Jun. Just have to get the new top on and finish addressing the tail lights and driver side window regulator. It's been a fun project to see it come back from where it was when we started.
Old 05-09-2013, 08:13 AM   #4
29ModelA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hudsn47 View Post
Yes, there was plenty of smoke! I had put hydraulic oil in the cylinders a couple months before the strartup and that stuff lingered was perfect for the startup. I like to see lots of smoke on startups. I was a little alarmed at the gas coming out the carb but now know its normal to get a little when applying the choke. i had no idea what the starting procedures were on a Model A at this time. Dont think I had even heard one run in person. Now we are driving and enjoying the car and getting ready for a big trip in Jun. Just have to get the new top on and finish addressing the tail lights and driver side window regulator. It's been a fun project to see it come back from where it was when we started.
Fuel coming out of the carb like was in the video is not normal, if the engine were hot that would be enough to start a fire when it hits the exhaust.

Great video, I wish I had seen the very first start of mine, but the mechanic I had do the valve job started it before I got there once.

Interior, steering box (rebuild), and I am sure much more!
29ModelA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2013, 02:48 PM   #5
Hudsn47

Thanks, and good point on the gas coming out. We have since installed a rebuilt carb and have it under control. I had heard that some gas out of the carb when choking is normal but what is in the video does appear excessive. The old carb was warped and the bolts were stripped. I was quite amazed it even ran considering how dirty the tank was as you can see in the glass bowl. We have now had the tank boiled and sealed. Should be going for it's first jaunt beyond the pasture this weekend!