Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 05-04-2013, 10:55 AM   #1
Tugmaster

Default Modifications worth doing??

I'm trying not to get ahead of things on my project. More just thinking out loud.
As I look thru the different catalogs I see a lot of different upgrades and modifications you can do. I'm sure some are well worth the time,money and effort and some aren't. You guys have way more experteese than I do. Here's the ones I'm wondering about:

Four bladed fan

Thermostat

Modern points

Oil pressure gauge

Isolation motor mounts.

And anything else I missed.

Thanks,
Todd
Tugmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2013, 11:11 AM   #2
Rock Hornbuckle

Default Re: Modifications worth doing??

Don't get in a hurry to make mods. You will find over time the things that YOU will deem necessary for you specific needs and driving habits. I keep my '29 all original (for nostalgia) and my '31 has mods for touring. Just have fun with it, and take it slow..you'll make fewer mistakes.
'14 100th Anniversary Challenger Limited Edition.

Semper Fidelis
Rock Hornbuckle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2013, 11:33 AM   #3
SDJason

I tried to keep mine as stock as possible, but there are a few things that have been modified:

- voltage regulator (one of the ones fitted inside a cutout, so it still visually looks the same - got tired of overcharging the battery & the resultant acid pouring out)

- battery disconnect switch (don't know how necessary it is, but it seems like a prudent safety measure)

- 3rd brakelight (the led one that looks like a thin black strip - pretty inconspicuous in the back window; once again a safety measure - folks nowadays are used to seeing a 3rd light - I don't feel like being the guinea pig to test their reflexes)

- fuses (the previous owner added a fuseblock when he installed turn signals, so I just kept it there)

- 5.5 head (once again - something the previous owner had done; I'm not about to go rip it out for the sake of stockness)

- electric fuel shutoff (another thing the previous owner had done, also something else I'm not going to remove, as it doesn't seem like it would be worth the trouble, and it is an extra safety measure, I guess)

- thermostat (I don't know how necessary this is, but after reading about the benefits of it, I figured it's easy enough to add, and it doesn't change the appearance at all)

- sealed beam headlights (yet again, something that was done long before I owned the car. I just don't have the $ to justify switching them back right now)

- cast iron brake drums (another thing the previous owner did, and I'm probably grateful for; from what I've read, it improves braking performance dramatically - since I have nothing to compare it to, I can't vouch for that, but will take everyone else's word at face value)

- aluminum two-bladed fan (done by a previous owner at some point. After reading the horror stories of what can happen with an original fan, I took a magnet to mine to check what was on there)

Edit: almost forgot - safety belts!! Those were actually the first thingI had installed

that's it off the top of my head...

Last edited by SDJason; 05-04-2013 at 01:59 PM. Reason: added safety belts to the list
SDJason is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2013, 11:33 AM   #4
James Rogers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tugmaster View Post
I'm trying not to get ahead of things on my project. More just thinking out loud.
As I look thru the different catalogs I see a lot of different upgrades and modifications you can do. I'm sure some are well worth the time,money and effort and some aren't. You guys have way more experteese than I do. Here's the ones I'm wondering about:

Four bladed fan

Thermostat

Modern points

Oil pressure gauge

Isolation motor mounts.

And anything else I missed.

Thanks,
Todd
Just my opinion.
James Rogers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2013, 11:35 AM   #5
700rpm

You don't need to do or add any of those things.

As you go through life, keep your eye on the donut, not the hole.
700rpm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2013, 11:35 AM   #6
Tugmaster

Thanks Rock,

I plan to drive this car ALOT. I'm just trying to absurd as much information as I can from the knowledge base that is on this sight. I know from working on other cars over the years that there are a lot of mods that are more worthwhile than others.
Todd
Old 05-04-2013, 11:46 AM   #7
foxfire42

My recommendation is turn signals with 4 way flashers

When I bought my 400A it had no less than 32 (yes 32) non original additions. Some were mechanical and others just added bling. The A I drive most is 100% stock minus a half percent for turn signals. It's mechanically as good as it can be and I'd drive it anywhere.

Barb Birt
foxfire42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2013, 11:50 AM   #8
columbiA

Non of those mods areneeded at all.If you drive the car alot in the winter,just cut a cardboard to fit behind raad shell to cover lower 1/2 of rad.For modern road & traffic conditions,I find an OD & a 5.5 or 5.9 head realy helps if you use the car alot like I do.If you only putt around town a bit for a few miles a year,then no mods are needed.
columbiA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2013, 11:52 AM   #9
Jim Mason

check my site for Where to start with an opinion on modifications by Charles Stephens and the rebuttal by Marco Tahtaras...
Old 05-04-2013, 12:13 PM   #10
Terry, NJ

Original two bladed fans area No-No! The stupid things are 80+ y.O.. The four bladed fans are little better, that's a little, not a lot. I have two of them and I'm impressed with just how flimsy they are too. I have a mod B dostributor and some day I'll put it on, someday! These old Fords had virtually no oil pressure so why do you want to frighten yourself looking at it pegged near zero! Henry Ford's next great trick was the N_ series tractors. Mine would get 40lbs of oil pressure and then fade to3-5 lbs as it got warm. Scary huh? Mine runs cool enough without the thermostat. The best mod is the 5.5 head and modern lighting, a cupholder, and good mirrors.
Terry
Terry, NJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2013, 12:14 PM   #11
Tugmaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Mason View Post
check my site for Where to start with an opinion on modifications by Charles Stephens and the rebuttal by Marco Tahtaras...
Thanks for that link. More stuff to read and absorb
Todd
Old 05-04-2013, 12:18 PM   #12
Rowdy
BANNED

Of all that are listed on your original post I see none that I would highly recomend and one I would advise against. High compression head is highly recomneded so you have half a chance of getting out of the way of the idiots you share the road with. Rod
Old 05-04-2013, 12:26 PM   #13
roccaas

Drive a lot at night?

Halogen headlamps
LED Tail lamps
Old 05-04-2013, 12:51 PM   #14
Duffy1

When I got me 31 sw I had a 4 prong approach not to say it is needed . Just what I thought was needed for touring.

1) safety ( seat belts ,blinkers,third brake light ,battery shut off, fire extingisure (sp),cast iron drums,safety glass )
2) driveabilty ( 16 rims with tubeless tires, f-100 steering gear,lightened fly wheel with v8 clutch and pp, A/C,cup holder, 4spd O D syncronized transmission, B balanced engine with inserts, modern points/dist , floato motor mounts)
3) reliability ( temp gauge, pressurized radiator with overflow bottle ,6 blade plastic fan,oil filter,high boy air filter )
4) lookability ( What ever one likes )
Duffy1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2013, 12:52 PM   #15
Purdy Swoft

The old four blade fans are dangerous and liable to sling a blade. There is no advantage with the newer four blade fans and they are more difficult to remove. I use the new two blade aluminum fans from Snyders. I don't like thermostats because they will eventually stick closed and cause problems. I've got years of experience with the so called modern points and they are all BAD!!! There is still lots of peer pressure to use them. Modern points are a JURY RIG at best, they are mounted at a different position on the upper plate and good timing is impossible, they are difficult to adjust because they don't use the offset screw for adjustment that was used in their original V8 distributor set up. The oil pressure gauge isn't worth the trouble or expense because the model A uses a gravity and splash oiling system. Floating motor mounts cause more problems than they solve.

The mods that I consider worthwhile are a higher compression head for hill climbing ability and better all around driveability. I run Brumfield 5.9 heads on three of mine. Snyders sells 5.5 and 6.0 compression heads that are cast iron and have original appearance. I use the Fun Projects can style voltage regulator that takes the place of the cut out. No modifications to the generator is needed. Just install the can style regulator in place of the cut out and it regulates the charge just like a modern car. A shortened pitman arm and teflon buttons in the tie rod and drag link ends will make the model A act like power steering when it is moving. The barrel or modern style starter drive is a good mod because it has no bolts to drop or spring to bend or break. None of these mods are noticable and you maintain the original look.

Last edited by Purdy Swoft; 05-04-2013 at 01:16 PM.
Purdy Swoft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2013, 01:45 PM   #16
1931 flamingo

Personally, I would replace orig fan (do a search) with the aluminum one available from vendors, add the fuse that mounts on the starter, a RH tail/stop light assy ( if you don't already have one) and signal lights and T/stat. Oh yeah and an alt and convert to 12V..............................................O ops, just kidding on the last 2.
Paul in CT
1931 flamingo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2013, 02:21 PM   #17
pat in Santa Cruz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tugmaster View Post

Four bladed fan

the aluminum 2 blade fan was shown in a test by John LaVoy to actually cool the best when compared to the four blade and plastic fans. I would not drive an a "a lot" with an original fan.

Thermostat

I like them...the engine runs better when its thoroughly warmed up to 160 degrees. Actually they run better at 190, but most folks feel better with the buffer of a 160 thermostat.

Modern points
yucch, trouble, trouble, trouble. todays repop A points work fine....use a burn out proof condenser, make sure your shaft bushings are well fitted, use a B distributor cam, make sure the wire between the plates is the 100 strand type and the old original dizzy works great.

Oil pressure gauge

not necessary

Isolation motor mounts.

if your car vibrates too much, replace the old rubber on the original style mounts and check to see if your front mount is the original style and not one of the repops, none of which improved anything.. Back in the day, repop rubber for original mounts did not fit, but today's product from the reputable dealers fits fine. If it still vibrates after that, the trouble is elsewhere. The isolation style mounts I have seen were causing the frame to sag at the mount location.

And anything else I missed?

turn signals are important to alert all the bad drivers out there. Those LED brake and tail lights sure show up bright but the cheaper ones are a pain to install and require modifying the bezel with a dremel tool. I just got a brighter bulb for my car

With good reflectors in the headlights and good wiring, filament bulbs work well. I use 32/32 because while the 50/32 are brighter, they seem to burn out quicker. I had the type of halogens that fit right in the socket and they were really bright and nice, but they blew when there was a voltage spike. That cost too much to replace so I went back to filaments

Thanks,
Todd
Oh, BTW, get one of Tom Wesenberg's voltage regulators for your generator
pat in Santa Cruz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2013, 02:37 PM   #18
Kurt in NJ

Proper restoration to original tolerances will cure the need for most modifications, many modifications need further modifications to support them.

Some people need modifications that downgrade the original reliability so they have something to tinker with.
Kurt in NJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2013, 02:46 PM   #19
Dick Webber

I've used seat belts, 2 tail lights and a thermostat for years.
Dick Webber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2013, 03:05 PM   #20
QGolden

Everyone has an opinion, here's mine,

Four bladed fan, new fan yes, 4 blade optional, and likely no benefit for the energy consumed.

Thermostat. Yes I think they are important. The engine temp should be a constant.

Modern points. Unnecessary, original work fine if set up proper.

Oil pressure gauge. Unnecessary, you only get 3 lbs or so on a warm engine.

Isolation motor mounts. Unnecessary.

Put money into safety first, longevity and comfort second, everything else is just bling.

IMHO

It is the very things that we think we know, that keep us from learning what we should know.- Unknown
QGolden is offline   Reply With Quote