Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 08-04-2015, 10:59 PM   #1
Sodakmodela

Default Charging system

How do I check the charging system on my 30 Tudor? When I turn the lights on it discharges. I read that I can move a brush in the generator but don't seem to help. What am I missing? What's possibly wrong?
Sodakmodela is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2015, 11:53 PM   #2
John Duden

Default Re: Charging system

is your cutout closing? take the cover off and while the engine is running push the points together, if they stay together, the generator is working, clean the points and the should work by themselves,

Take a little fine emery cloth and tuch the armature while the engine is running and polish the copper contacts
This is what i always do
john
John Duden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2015, 12:03 AM   #3
diomed

Does it charge when you rev the engine? If you're just idling with the lights on it'll be discharging but it should show charging on the ammeter once you start driving.
Old 08-05-2015, 07:28 AM   #4
Kurt in NJ

If you were to read the owners instruction book you would know that there will be a discharge shown on the ammeter when the headlights are on, and at idle
Kurt in NJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2015, 07:31 AM   #5
marc hildebrant

Please buy the Model A owners manual. Its available for a small amount of money.

The owners manual contains info about timing and setting the charging current.

Marc
marc hildebrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2015, 10:33 AM   #6
katy

Quote:
Take a little fine emery cloth and touch the armature while the engine is running
DON"T use emery cloth, use sandpaper.
Old 08-05-2015, 11:15 AM   #7
heneste

The generator needs a certain RPM before it sends a charge to the battery. As diomed mentioned, at idle you won't see the amps rise. Are you running with a stock cutout also? Some of the voltage regulator cutouts will only read a charge if the battery needs it and then it will taper off to zero as the battery doesn't require a charge.
heneste is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2015, 01:00 PM   #8
Mike V. Florida

Send a message via AIM to Mike V. Florida

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sodakmodela View Post
How do I check the charging system on my 30 Tudor? When I turn the lights on it discharges. I read that I can move a brush in the generator but don't seem to help. What am I missing? What's possibly wrong?
It is operating normally. If you set the generator so it is at zero when the lights are on you will "cook" (overcharge) the battery when they are not on. Set the third brush for about 4-6 amps when the car is running with no lights on.

I have run my car for hours at night with the ammeter reading discharge. The battery along with the generator will keep the car running for a L O N G time.
Old 08-05-2015, 06:39 PM   #9
Sodakmodela

The gauge never goes above 0 but when turn lights on it goes -. Don't matter if revved up or at idle. It is all stock parts. What should the actual voltage be at with no lights on?
Sodakmodela is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2015, 08:33 PM   #10
Mike V. Florida

Send a message via AIM to Mike V. Florida

Quote:
The gauge never goes above 0 but when turn lights on it goes -. Don't matter if revved up or at idle. It is all stock parts. What should the actual voltage be at with no lights on?
It is not a volt meter but a meter that measures current (amps). It should read 4-5 with an engine running down the road.
Old 08-05-2015, 10:25 PM   #11
ian Simpson

Smile Re: Charging system

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Duden View Post
is your cutout closing? take the cover off and while the engine is running push the points together, if they stay together, the generator is working, clean the points and the should work by themselves,

Take a little fine emery cloth and tuch the armature while the engine is running and polish the copper contacts
This is what i always do
john
Please do not use emery cloth on the commutator. The particles will embed themselves in the relatively soft copper and destroy the brushes in very short order. Use sandpaper instead.

Last edited by ian Simpson; 08-05-2015 at 10:26 PM. Reason: Correct spelling
ian Simpson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2015, 10:41 PM   #12
Tom Wesenberg

Quote:
Originally Posted by ian Simpson View Post
Please do not use emery cloth on the commutator. The particles will embed themselves in the relatively soft copper and destroy the brushes in very short order. Use sandpaper instead.
I've read and heard that for many years, but have never had a problem. I use fine emery that comes on a long roll 1" wide to polish the commutators. Spin the armature in the direction it normally turns when you polish it.

To check the generator output connect the volt meter to the generator output post and ground, and it should be more than battery voltage when the engine is running at 500 RPM or faster. If the voltage is less or close to zero, then you need to repair the generator. If the voltage is good, then check it on the cutout output terminal. You will read battery voltage there, but it should increase slightly when the engine runs faster than 500 RPM.
Tom Wesenberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2015, 02:50 PM   #13
burner31

Quote:
Have you fixed your problem yet?
I just ran into the same issue, turned out to be a broken wire to the third brush, I cleaned everything up while I had the Gen apart and soldered a new wire on, now the amp gauge reads "charge"
Don't use electrical tape if you have to solder a new wire on, use cloth string.
burner31 is offline   Reply With Quote