Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 09-22-2021, 09:35 PM   #1
garyjohn

Smile Arizona Insurance

I am wondering if any of the Arizona Barners have a "Historical Vehicle" plate on any cars they own?

If you do what insurance company do you have it insured with?

Before every one chimes in to say Taylor or Hagarites those companies DO NOT SELL Historical vehicle insurance the only sell classic car insurance.

PLEASE do not hijack this tread and take it down the rabbit hole.

Thanks, Garyjohn
garyjohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2021, 12:20 AM   #2
J Franklin

Default Re: Arizona Insurance

What is defined as an historical vehicle?
J Franklin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2021, 01:28 AM   #3
CarlG

My 1931 pickup is classified as an Historical Vehicle, and is insured by Haggarty.
Model A Restorers Club
Antique Automobile Club of America
Mullins Owner's Club
CarlG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2021, 08:15 AM   #4
TerryO

I don't know if a Model A is a "historical vehicle" or not but I have 2 insured with Hagerty.
What kind of historical vehicles are you asking about?

TOB
TerryO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2021, 09:16 AM   #5
McMimmcs

I also have 9 cars insured by Haggerty under historical policies! In my opinion the original poster has been mislead or misunderstood!
McMimmcs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2021, 09:46 AM   #6
chap52

I live in the Tucson area and had an Historical Plate on both my 1952 Ford F1 and my 1930 Model A. I found that Haggerty had the best insurance options for me... Chap
chap52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2021, 09:55 AM   #7
Duganw

When you register and license a Model A in Arizona you can get an “Historical Vehicle” copper license plate, I have 6 cars licensed that way and insured with Haggerty.
Duganw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2021, 07:15 AM   #8
chap52

I believe that any vehicle over 20 years old qualifies for an Historic Plate here in Arizona. Seems strange when you see one on a 2000 Toyota... WHAT? Chap
chap52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2021, 07:44 AM   #9
77Birdman

OK, Im going down the rabbit hole. To the OP, is your A modified into a hot rod? Maybe that is the case. My insurance is through Grundy and for what I have it has to be a stock, non modified vehicle. It doesnt effect me so I have never checked but perhaps they have hot rod insurance too.
77Birdman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2021, 09:50 AM   #10
garyjohn

OK, I will do a little qualifying of my question, In Arizona you see all kinds of cars with "Historical Vehicle" plates running around on the road. Much newer than a Model A. The main thing about these cars is that they don't have to be emission cheeked. In Maricopa county cars have to be emission-ed checked every year but not H V licensed cars. I am giving my Grandson one of my many Ford pickups that qualifies as a H V but am unable to find any one to insure it as a H V . Haggarty wont because it is going to be a daily driver so that is the purpose of the post. The A's with H V plates are probable not driven daily and are garaged and are insured for full replacement value which is not the case of the truck I am trying to insure. Thanks for your patience as this is a little off topic and was just wondering if ( as is the case of a lot of us ) anyone had newer cars with H V plates. Gary PS. The truck is a 1984 F250 fyi
garyjohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2021, 10:00 AM   #11
McMimmcs

A totally different question !
Old 09-25-2021, 10:44 AM   #12
Ruth

Would a 1984 F-250 have to be smogged in Arizona if it didn't have Historical Vehicle plates? Is the only advantage to registering a 1984 F-250 as a Historical Vehicle is that it doesn't have to be smogged?
Old 09-25-2021, 10:57 AM   #13
J Franklin

I think you will be better off if you just register it properly for its intended use. Specialty insurance is just that and might not save much in the long run.
J Franklin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2021, 12:13 PM   #14
Utopia Texas

It may fit the category of “Historic” but classifying it as a “daily driver” is why some insurance companies will not insure it at the much lower historic rates. On a daily driver they are facing much more liability.
Utopia Texas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2021, 12:19 PM   #15
McMimmcs

Quote:
Originally Posted by J Franklin View Post
I think you will be better off if you just register it properly for its intended use. Specialty insurance is just that and might not save much in the long run.
I totally agree with Franklin !
Old 09-25-2021, 03:54 PM   #16
Hitman

Quote:
Originally Posted by garyjohn View Post
OK, I will do a little qualifying of my question, In Arizona you see all kinds of cars with "Historical Vehicle" plates running around on the road. Much newer than a Model A. The main thing about these cars is that they don't have to be emission cheeked. In Maricopa county cars have to be emission-ed checked every year but not H V licensed cars. I am giving my Grandson one of my many Ford pickups that qualifies as a H V but am unable to find any one to insure it as a H V . Haggarty wont because it is going to be a daily driver so that is the purpose of the post. The A's with H V plates are probable not driven daily and are garaged and are insured for full replacement value which is not the case of the truck I am trying to insure. Thanks for your patience as this is a little off topic and was just wondering if ( as is the case of a lot of us ) anyone had newer cars with H V plates. Gary PS. The truck is a 1984 F250 fyi
Finally, some useful context. What you are describing won't work, which is why AZ set it up this way. Cars that are emissions exempt in AZ have to be 66' or earlier, or have "historical", "antique", "collector car", or whatever you want to call it, insurance in order to be exempt from emissions if 67' and later. As we know, antique car insurance won't allow you to daily drive your vehicle. Antique car insurance is cheaper for a reason, because it doesn't see the daily use and daily risk. While your car qualifies for the copper historical vehicle plate (25 years or older), it doesn't qualify for antique insurance because you want to daily drive it.

So your option is to put whatever plate you want on it, and insure it thought a regular insurance company as a daily driver and have it emissions checked every year or two. I'd image if you drive to subvert the rules, your insurance company will ask for insurance or registration proof of modern cars that can be daily driven.
Hitman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2021, 04:33 PM   #17
Vics Stuff

Quote:
Originally Posted by J Franklin View Post
J Franklin I have to agree with your statement. with those trying to find a loop hole , until something happens , then all of us have to pay the piper.
Vic
Vics Stuff is offline   Reply With Quote