Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 01-04-2016, 10:48 AM   #1
gajeepguy

Default 1939 tranny into a 1932 4-banger

Will a 1939 transmission directly swap into my 1932 pickup behind a 4-banger?
I love the way the pickup runs and drives but it shifts miserable. I have a 1939 and I believe it would be worth the effort to have smoother shifting. Thanks........ Richard
gajeepguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2016, 12:00 PM   #2
Bob C

Default Re: 1939 tranny into a 1932 4-banger

No, but the 39 gears will fit in your 32 case.

Bob
Bob C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2016, 12:49 PM   #3
Charlie Stephens

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob C View Post
No, but the 39 gears will fit in your 32 case.

Bob
Bob is correct with his suggestion but I wanted to add that you will need to use the later shifter with the '39 gears and make or buy a mount for the emergency brake. I used a '39 shifter and shortened and bent it to look almost (its thicker) like a stock '32. Any chance a rebuild of your existing transmission would give you what you want? Find a car with an original transmission and drive it. I must admit that the '39 gears and syncs are a better unit but it sounds like your trans has problems. Attached are pictures showing the front of a V8 trans (like a '39) and a Model B trans. Note that the V8 trans shown has a piece missing from the bottom. You can see the hump on the Model B trans for the starter. If you decide on a '39 trans be sure to learn to identify the gears so you can buy the correct one, you don't want just the correct case but the correct gears. A good site to read up on transmissions is: http://www.vanpeltsales.com/FH_web/flathead_home.htm

Charlie Stephens
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_8278.jpg (50.7 KB, 68 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_8279.jpg (56.0 KB, 60 views)

Last edited by Charlie Stephens; 01-04-2016 at 01:13 PM.
Charlie Stephens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2016, 08:39 PM   #4
gajeepguy

Thanks guys, now I have a clear direction to go.

Richard Grace (gajeepguy)
Old 01-04-2016, 10:00 PM   #5
Hoop

I would not take the gears out of your '39 transmission and put them into your B case. The '39 is worth too much as is. I'd find a post '39 side shift and use those gears ... you can usually find a side shift for 1/4 or less than the value of the '39. Even after buying a "39" shifter or a 3" fork, you're still ahead.

I also suggest being careful to find a transmission with a 16 tooth MDG since the B case is not designed for easy installation of the 15 tooth.

Hope Charlie agrees on these added fine points.
Old 01-04-2016, 10:24 PM   #6
gajeepguy

Hoop, can I use a post '39 floor shift out of an F-1 pickup?
Old 01-05-2016, 12:10 AM   #7
cas3

the later gear set, 39 and up, has a wider shift fork to match it. so yes, the pickup shifter should fit. check van pelts 39 transmission page and you will know it all. no one mentioned yet, it is tricky to get the later gears in your b case. sometimes even a little grinding in the shoulder of the deep part up front depending on your casting. certain installation order, etc. i've never done it, but have some B's, and read up on it awhile back. do some searches here and at the hamb, it can be done. have fun, skip
cas3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2016, 04:24 AM   #8
Hoop

Richard, pickups into the 40's continued to use a floor shifter that was the same as the '39 car. Main PU differences were the introduction of the open drive with a longer main shaft and different rear bearing retainer as well as the later, deeper case.

The "grinding" required on early cases when fitting later gears that skip mentioned is one approach when the 15 tooth MDG gear set is used. The 29 tooth cluster that goes with 15T is slightly taller and causes interference during installation when the MDG is installed with the bearing fitted.

Find a set with a 16T MDG.
Old 01-05-2016, 11:50 AM   #9
Fred A

Default '39 Ain't What It Used To Be!

The guys did a pretty good job for the OP. I disagree with HOOP on the point where the 39 trans is too valuable to steal the gears. Out west the popularity of a 39 like trans is waaay down, leaving me on a pile of them that are slow sellers. Now this may be a regional thing, but the use of BW T5 transmissions has taken the heat out of that 39 trans market. Guys like Max Navarro who did business in these transmissions are now doing better selling Max's book on that subject. Almost like price fixing, the needed components sell for some pretty low prices these days. The current harder to get includes double detent shift tops with the 91 fork. Really good main shafts with the pin can be tough or easy depending. Cases seem to be locked at a $75 price. No reason to use less than the best there. I'm sure you sharpies out there can do much better but you have to get out there to score. Not everyone wants to or can do that. My current projects are late geared Model B cases with the the appropriate rear retainer. Many Model A drivers now admit to the faulty design of the poorly supported Model A flywheel housing that always cracks. If they're running a B engine the smarter setup is the B trans(or a well geared S10 T5). Good luck: Fred A
Fred A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2016, 12:03 PM   #10
Hoop

"... slow sellers?"

(There goes my damned retirement plan.)
Old 01-05-2016, 05:58 PM   #11
Bored&Stroked

Quote:
Originally Posted by gajeepguy View Post
Hoop, can I use a post '39 floor shift out of an F-1 pickup?
As mentioned, you can use these transmissions as donors as well, but there is one thing to think about:

1) Open drive pickup transmissions have a different main-shaft (length) and spline count than the torque-tube based 39 trans. (Don't have an example picture to share - but I bet the VanPelt site goes into it).

Given the above, I'm not sure if there is a u-joint that allows you to use the open-drive main-shaft with a close-drive torque-tube and associated drive shaft. I'm not an expert, so I'd surely find this out first (depending on your rear driveline setup).

Take care,
Dale
Bored&Stroked is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2016, 06:07 PM   #12
cas3

here's a long thread to read, the 32 trans rebuild is in there somewhere, step by stephttp://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/threads/1932-pickup-rebuild-thread-updated-11-21-15.970252
cas3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2016, 07:38 PM   #13
Walt Dupont--Me.

I have a B engine and trans in my 31 coupe, I installed gears out of a side shift trans and used 39 top in my B case, The front shaft is a little tight going in, if I remember right you have to install the front bearing after you get the front shaft in, I built it about 12-13 years ago, CRS. Made the hand brake bracket out of a piece out 2in.angle iron. I like to let people drive it that own a stock A, they caint believe how smooth it shifts. Walt
Walt Dupont--Me. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2016, 09:16 PM   #14
Barn Junk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bored&Stroked View Post
As mentioned, you can use these transmissions as donors as well, but there is one thing to think about:

1) Open drive pickup transmissions have a different main-shaft (length) and spline count than the torque-tube based 39 trans. (Don't have an example picture to share - but I bet the VanPelt site goes into it).

Given the above, I'm not sure if there is a u-joint that allows you to use the open-drive main-shaft with a close-drive torque-tube and associated drive shaft. I'm not an expert, so I'd surely find this out first (depending on your rear driveline setup).

Take care,
Dale
The open drive pickup light duty 3-speeds from the years 1942-1950 provide a good source of gears for 39 style trans in 15/29 or 16/28 tooth count. The similar 1951-52 trans DO NOT as the gear cut design was changed. That said, all the cases and shifter tops/forks are basically the same as well as bearings, syncros and brass.
Barn Junk is offline   Reply With Quote