Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 05-29-2019, 08:26 AM   #1
V8 Bob

Default Cam shaft profiling

I have an old MCF cam that I would like to know all of the specs. I know some on here have done this, just don't remember who. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.
V8 Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2019, 01:06 PM   #2
Bored&Stroked

Default Re: Cam shaft profiling

Hey Bob - I'm kind of a camshaft nut. The basic way to understand the actual timing events (before/after TDC and BDC) is to install the cam in a block that has a crank and at least one rod/piston in it. You then need an accurate degree wheel, two lifters and a dial-indicator setup to take readings off the top of the lifters (or two valves with zero lash) - (as well as to initially determine TDC and setup the degree wheel). It isn't a huge deal if you have all that stuff setup and ready to go - but a lot of work for a "one off" type of deal. If the cam has stampings/numbers on the front - by far the easiest way to at least identify what it is supposed to be is post that information and see anybody has the grind information.

Last edited by Bored&Stroked; 06-01-2019 at 01:17 PM.
Bored&Stroked is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2019, 01:16 PM   #3
Bored&Stroked

This is what the setup looks like. The picture is from when I degreed in my roller cam for the current engine in my 32 Cabriolet:

2015-05-11 22.32.30 copy.jpg

I manually take readings every 5 degrees of crankshaft rotation, then enter that data into my Cam Analyzer program. This makes it possible to do further analysis, generate profile diagrams, create reports, compare multiple cams, etc.. Takes a lot of time, but I enjoy the analysis and findings . . . gives me things to ponder! LOL

IskyRollerRR630Profile.jpg
Bored&Stroked is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2019, 04:59 PM   #4
V8 Bob

Bored&Stroked,
Thanks for the reply. The MCF cam was removed from the engine and replaced with another, and I can find no markings or ID. I replaced it with a "slightly" more radical custom grind (with a card) and want to know just how different they are. I can and have degreed cams, but never tried to profile one, and would like someone with more expertise to perform this. I may put together a setup and procedure like you describe in the future, but for now I'll let a fellow Barner who offered perform the profile, as I've got to many irons in the fire at this time.
V8 Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2019, 05:37 PM   #5
Tim Ayers

Quote:
Originally Posted by V8 Bob View Post
Bored&Stroked,
Thanks for the reply. The MCF cam was removed from the engine and replaced with another, and I can find no markings or ID. I replaced it with a "slightly" more radical custom grind (with a card) and want to know just how different they are. I can and have degreed cams, but never tried to profile one, and would like someone with more expertise to perform this. I may put together a setup and procedure like you describe in the future, but for now I'll let a fellow Barner who offered perform the profile, as I've got to many irons in the fire at this time.
V8 Bob,

Somewhere I have the specs for the MCF cams. If I find them, I'll let you know. May help to give you an idea of what cam you have when spec'ing it out.
Tim Ayers is offline   Reply With Quote