Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 05-03-2019, 08:32 PM   #1
Justresearching

Default Ford truck identification

Hello everyone,

I'm new and have a rather unusual identification request. Some years back I bought a used trailer off of craigslist and recently I decided that I want to clean up the frame to preserve it for as long as possible. The previous owner told me that it was based on a very old Ford pickup truck frame and the registration actually lists it as a 1947 I don't think that that is accurate. It has a gear ratio tag on the differential that says W 47/11 (It is a Dana 41 with 5 lug wheels.) I believe that the DMV guy just saw that and went with 1947. I have been going a bit crazy searching through hundreds of photos trying to figure out what the truck was sand maybe find out it's original weight capacity. From what I have seem the frame does look like that of an F1, particularly the spring mounts and the shape above the rear wheels. However the leaf springs are throwing me off as I have not seen another with a set like it. The are very beefy and with many more leaves then the pictures that I have found. The closest that I have come is the description in post #7 on this thread which matches what I have.

https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/showthread.php?t=188718

I still have to pull the bed off for a better overall picture but i'm hoping someone might be able to help identify what this was.

Picture can be found here.

https://imgur.com/a/EmKuW0V
Justresearching is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2019, 10:00 PM   #2
Bob C

Default Re: Ford truck identification

The upper springs are overload springs.

Bob
Bob C is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2019, 10:15 PM   #3
Justresearching

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob C View Post
The upper springs are overload springs.

Bob
Were the overload springs an optional extra? I'll take it they didn't increase the payload but improved load distribution?

Last edited by Justresearching; 05-03-2019 at 10:16 PM. Reason: Typo fix
Old 05-03-2019, 10:51 PM   #4
Ross F-1

Factory overloads were only on F-4's and larger.
Old 05-04-2019, 08:17 AM   #5
Justresearching

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ross F-1 View Post

Thank you.

This was part of my picture searching confusion. I saw similar springs are the heavier duty models but the axles and frames were always different. (Usually 8+ lug wheels)
Old 05-04-2019, 09:49 AM   #6
expavr

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ross F-1 View Post
As with many variances in Ford production it was possible to order overload springs from the factory as an option on both the 3/4 and 1 ton trucks. My 1940 Tonner is an example of this. It came from the factory with 14 leaf main springs and 7 leaf overload springs. It also had 7.50 - 17 8 ply tires which enabled the owner to register the truck as 10,000 GVW here in the state of WA. The purpose of the overloads as stated in the 1940 Ford Reference Manual was “Auxiliary springs provide reserve capacity for the heavy loads, thus making it possible to have sufficient flexibility in the main springs to produce good riding for the lighter loads and when truck is empty.”

Its hard to tell from the photos but if the brackets on the frame that come in contact with the overload springs are riveted to the frame I would bet that they are OEM and not after market.
expavr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2019, 10:07 AM   #7
Justresearching

Ok I finally got the body off for some clearer photos. (Quick posting/coffee break before I get the frame cleaned and primed....I only have this afternoon to do it and get it under a tent before the rain hits again)

I cleaned off some part numbers from the spring perches. The lower spring mounts are riveted. The overload spring mounts are bolted with a bracket.

https://imgur.com/a/bLs34v0
Old 05-04-2019, 10:59 AM   #8
expavr

I stand corrected. Your response made me go back and take another look at the overload brackets on the Tonner (photo attached). They are clamped to the frame and not riveted as I remembered.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 40-Ford-Truck-207.jpg (59.3 KB, 40 views)
expavr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2019, 11:28 AM   #9
Justresearching

Yep. That is exactly what I am seeing here so everything looks factory. Cleanup is going well but I may have to run to the store to get a serious wire brush in order to get into the nooks and cranies.

The biggest worry however is once I cleaned the rust I found some broken leaves....
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_20190504_122554_732.jpg (60.6 KB, 45 views)
Old 05-05-2019, 12:46 AM   #10
mtflat

The rear axle is identical to the one I removed from my 48 F1. The 47/11 = the optional 4.27 gears. The 5 bolt wheels are also half-ton.

What makes it unclear is, Ford used a lot of truck parts from the 42-47 half-ton series in the 48-50 F1s. Henry's policy was "don't change things if you didn't have to."

I'd say your axle could be either 47 or 48.
mtflat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2019, 09:30 AM   #11
Justresearching

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtflat View Post
The rear axle is identical to the one I removed from my 48 F1. The 47/11 = the optional 4.27 gears. The 5 bolt wheels are also half-ton.

What makes it unclear is, Ford used a lot of truck parts from the 42-47 half-ton series in the 48-50 F1s. Henry's policy was "don't change things if you didn't have to."

I'd say your axle could be either 47 or 48.
So thus far everything is pointing towards a F1 or possibly it's Mercury equivalent based on Moefuzz's description.

I would be quite happy with any company that has a "Ain't broke don't fix" mentality. All too often someone will come out with the "New and improved!" model only to have it actually be worse or built to a lower standard that what it replaced.

The production cross-over may help to explain the unusual springs... maybe they just happened to be in the parts bin that day of production?

Here is the progress on the trailer. Primed and drying awaiting it's top coat.

https://imgur.com/a/UnPm9Fn
Old 05-09-2019, 09:12 AM   #12
Justresearching

Quick question...is everyone running standard 90w gear oil in their rear diff's? I want to change the fluid while I still have everything apart.

More progress pictures.
https://imgur.com/a/QhR3wPf
Old 05-09-2019, 02:33 PM   #13
JSeery
Member Emeritus

Why not run multi-viscosity gear oil? The Ford specification assumed changing the gear oil out with temperature changes.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg CF0N3D6.jpg (54.8 KB, 24 views)
JSeery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2019, 05:04 PM   #14
Justresearching

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSeery View Post
Why not run multi-viscosity gear oil? The Ford specification assumed changing the gear oil out with temperature changes.
Because I have a big 5 gallon pail of 90w gear oil that I'm trying to use up
Old 05-09-2019, 05:27 PM   #15
JSeery
Member Emeritus

Good reason! Ford calls out SAE 90 for winter & SAE 140 for summer. So you should be covered for the winter!!

Last edited by JSeery; 05-09-2019 at 05:32 PM.
Old 05-10-2019, 04:03 AM   #16
Mart

I don't think the type of gear oil would be hyper critical as this is just a trailer. The rear end gears are not driving, as such, just idling over with minimal load.
Mart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2019, 08:58 AM   #17
Justresearching

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mart View Post
I don't think the type of gear oil would be hyper critical as this is just a trailer. The rear end gears are not driving, as such, just idling over with minimal load.
My thoughts exactly. I ended up having to put the bed back on last night but access to the rear diff isn't difficult so I will drain and replace the fluid tonight or tomorrow. Even though the load on the gears is minimal I would still be concerned about the diff generating heat by being pulled at a higher speed then it was originally intended for. This wasnt a problem with my old truck which had a top speed similar to that of an old Land Rover (Mr. Solihull ) Now however I could pull it at 75mph/120kph or faster all day long if I choose to.

Last edited by Justresearching; 05-10-2019 at 09:11 AM. Reason: Spelling error
Old 05-10-2019, 10:58 AM   #18
JSeery
Member Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mart View Post
That is probably true.
Old 05-10-2019, 02:34 PM   #19
Mart

I just revisited this and felt I need to comment on the whole thing. That trailer was probably made by a farmer and only ever intended for relatively slow local journeys.

If you really intend to tow at 75mph you really should be looking at a purpose built trailer.

I'm not sure you can legally tow a trailer at that speed, you certainly can't here.

Mart.
Mart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2019, 03:04 PM   #20
JSeery
Member Emeritus

I'm with Mart, if you are wanting to tow at high speed I would think a solid type axle with just the wheel bearing would be a much better set up. Sometimes you see front axles used with the spindle or tie rod fix in the straight ahead position.